    lost.

    Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.

    Tony
    Tony, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Tony

    John D Loop Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message
    news:...
    > I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use

    AIM, but can no longer
    > browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no

    firewall preventing PORT
    > 80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM

    and ping the router as well
    > getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something

    had to happen somewhere and
    > since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore

    the PC using the Restore
    > CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran

    the recovery cds. With the
    > machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same

    problem. I am baffled.

    > One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in

    IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
    > know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it

    always times out and no page
    > can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing

    happens. I am completely
    > lost.
    >
    > Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Tony

    Almost sounds like a DNS server is returning this address for any lookup.
    You probably have the DNS
    acquired from the router (DHCP?). Try manually assigning a DNS address in
    the PC to bypass the router.
    Maybe the router has a bad DNS server set manually?
    Also check the hosts file for anything "fishy."
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com
    You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then you children get to do it all
    over again.
    John D Loop, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Tony

    Rick Rottman Guest

    Tony < > wrote:

    >I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use AIM, but can no longer
    >browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no firewall preventing PORT
    >80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM and ping the router as well
    >getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something had to happen somewhere and
    >since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore the PC using the Restore
    >CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran the recovery cds. With the
    >machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same problem. I am baffled.
    >
    >One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
    >know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it always times out and no page
    >can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing happens. I am completely
    >lost.

    Sounds like the machine in question is not set up for the internet.
    The IP address of 10.0.0.1 is routable. It is usually used on a LAN.
    Try going to Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options and set it up the
    internet. How was the customer getting on the internet before? Over
    a LAN?

    - Rick

    Needs More Cow Bell
    Rick Rottman, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I meant that it was not routable over the net just like 192.168.

    I set it up for the internet as I have done thousands of times in the past with other machines The
    customer never really set anything up before. He bought it, installed AOL and used the cable modem.
    I just did a complete restore from the original 2 restore CDs. That should bring it back to the
    state it was in when he first purchased the computer.

    I will look at the DNS as has been suggested by others here but since I have it set to obtain IP and
    DNS automatically from the router, it should work, the same way as the other 4 computers connected
    to the same router running win xp do.

    Tony

    Tony, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: Weird Problem (IE WinXP) PROBLEM SOLVED!

    >> Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Tony

    >Almost sounds like a DNS server is returning this address for any lookup.
    >You probably have the DNS
    >acquired from the router (DHCP?). Try manually assigning a DNS address in
    >the PC to bypass the router.
    >Maybe the router has a bad DNS server set manually?
    >Also check the hosts file for anything "fishy."

    Just a follow up to this problem. I went to the Internet Options in IE / Connections /Advanced and I
    noticed a Proxy Server of 10.0.0.1. I unchecked it and all is back to normal. I don't know why it
    would restore to that setting but it did. So, I undid and problem is solved.

    Thanks all for your suggestions.

    Tony
    Tony, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Tony

    John D Loop Guest

    Re: Weird Problem (IE WinXP) PROBLEM SOLVED!

    ..
    "Tony" < > wrote in message

    > >> Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
    > >>
    > >> Tony

    > >Almost sounds like a DNS server is returning this address for any lookup.
    > >You probably have the DNS
    > >acquired from the router (DHCP?). Try manually assigning a DNS address

    in
    > >the PC to bypass the router.
    > >Maybe the router has a bad DNS server set manually?
    > >Also check the hosts file for anything "fishy."

    > Just a follow up to this problem. I went to the Internet Options in IE /

    Connections /Advanced and I
    > noticed a Proxy Server of 10.0.0.1. I unchecked it and all is back to

    normal. I don't know why it
    > would restore to that setting but it did. So, I undid and problem is

    solved.

    > Thanks all for your suggestions.
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks for following up. Always something to learn.
    Tend to forget about proxy servers out here on the Internet!
    John D Loop, Feb 16, 2004
  7. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 05:25:22 GMT, Tony < > wrote:

    >I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use AIM, but can no longer
    >browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no firewall preventing PORT
    >80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM and ping the router as well
    >getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something had to happen somewhere and
    >since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore the PC using the Restore
    >CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran the recovery cds. With the
    >machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same problem. I am baffled.
    >
    >One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
    >know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it always times out and no page
    >can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing happens. I am completely
    >lost.
    >
    >Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Tony

    Also try running setup in the internet options
    To reply remove
    ihatespam.
    and.the.spamers
    Edward Greene, Aug 16, 2004