Weird power problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Geoff, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    Bought a job lot of some P2 Dan computers. Worked fine formatting and adding
    o/s. But then after I'd opened up the case on the first one to put a modem in,
    it wouldn't power up at all! I thought it just a failed power supply the first
    time, then after the second time it happened I thought maybe I was bashing the
    cases too hard to get them off. So with the third one I gently as possible
    prised the case open -- same result. Oddly (or perhaps tellingly?), the one out
    of the six opened up so far that continued to power up after putting the case
    back was the only one that had an on/off switch by the side of the power cable
    input.

    Now I know that Dell have a 'case has been removed' alert, but even they power
    up after! Surely there's not a sensor somewhere that stops these Dan computers
    from powering up after the case has been removed? And I can't believe that the
    modems are faulty and prevent powering-up or caused an immediate short circuit
    (in any case, I only installed in three of them, including the one that still
    works). I have four left to test...

    Have I missed something obvious? Any suggestions?

    TIA,

    Geoff

    Geoff, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Geoff

    Cubzilla Guest

    erm . The case or the on-off switch on the others has been misaligned, have
    you powered up with the case off ?

    Regards

    Trev

    Cubzilla, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Geoff wrote:

    > Bought a job lot of some P2 Dan computers. Worked fine formatting and adding

    Dan?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    Geoff, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    Re: Weird power problem (gets weirder)

    In article <>, says...

    >erm . The case or the on-off switch on the others has been misaligned, have
    >you powered up with the case off ?
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Trev

    I doubt that is the problem. Actually it gets weirder, but may point to the
    cause? I disconnected the psu from the mb but left it in situ while I
    connected another psu. The computer powered up. Still not convinced that all
    six psu had suddenly failed, I then reconnected the original psu and....it also
    powered the machine up. However, after switching off and removing the cable,
    it would not power up again when reconnected. When I repeated the trick of
    powering up with the new psu and then reconnecting the original, it again
    sprang to life. It seems that the original psu won't power up after it has been
    switched off AND THE POWER CABLE REMOVED, but will only(?) spring to life after
    the machine has been 'kick-started' by another psu! Any suggestions?

    TIA,

    Geoff, Oct 27, 2004