weird internet problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tones, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Tones

    Tones Guest

    I have a desktop and laptop both running on XP Home, and both were running
    absolutely fine. One day, on my laptop, I clicked on the "YES" button on the
    annoying pop-up alert from Yahoo messenger asking me to upgrade the version.
    Usually my habit is to click on "NO" so as not to cause any new problems
    once Windows is stable (which now it has proven my habit is right). Anyway,
    Yahoo downloaded the upgrade version and installed successfully, and now the
    weird problem is that yahoo msger AND also MSN msger cannot logon at all,
    yet I can still browse the internet using IE on my laptop. One more
    extremely weird thing is when I use IE to login to my hotmail account at the
    hotmail website, an error page results, and of course cannot read my mails.
    i already tried completely uninstalling and re-installing both messengers,
    but the results are the same. With my desktop, i checked that both my yahoo
    and hotmail accounts were indeed OK and active. BTW, my laptop is connected
    to internet via wirelss LAN (centrino), if this is a piece of useful info.
    Would anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, pls? Is it possible
    that Yahoo msger modified some kinda internet connection setting during the
    installing? I went thru them, and don't see any obvious faults. pls help....

    --

    Best regards
    Tones

    Tones, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Tones

    Stuart Guest

    Tones wrote:

    > I have a desktop and laptop both running on XP Home, and both were running
    > absolutely fine. One day, on my laptop, I clicked on the "YES" button on the
    > annoying pop-up alert from Yahoo messenger asking me to upgrade the version.
    > Usually my habit is to click on "NO" so as not to cause any new problems
    > once Windows is stable (which now it has proven my habit is right). Anyway,
    > Yahoo downloaded the upgrade version and installed successfully, and now the
    > weird problem is that yahoo msger AND also MSN msger cannot logon at all,
    > yet I can still browse the internet using IE on my laptop. One more
    > extremely weird thing is when I use IE to login to my hotmail account at the
    > hotmail website, an error page results, and of course cannot read my mails.
    > i already tried completely uninstalling and re-installing both messengers,
    > but the results are the same. With my desktop, i checked that both my yahoo
    > and hotmail accounts were indeed OK and active. BTW, my laptop is connected
    > to internet via wirelss LAN (centrino), if this is a piece of useful info.
    > Would anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, pls? Is it possible
    > that Yahoo msger modified some kinda internet connection setting during the
    > installing? I went thru them, and don't see any obvious faults. pls help....
    >
    > --
    >
    > Best regards
    > Tones

    Are you sure the popup was a genuine one?

    First thing is to check for spyware use Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster,
    CWshredder. It is advisable to run more than one as some pick up things
    the others don't.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Tones

    Tones Guest

    thanks for the suggestion mate.
    i did install and run Spybot but it didn't find anything which fixed the
    problem.

    anyway, i tried the "Restore" function in XP and it half-fixed the problem.
    the yahoo msger went back to the old version, and this now works.
    but the MSN msger still doesn't work. (an error msg says "we were unable to
    sign you in to the .NET Messenger Service, possibly because of a problem
    with your internet connection. Pls try later. 0x81000370")
    and I still cannot logon to my hotmail using IE web page.
    do you have any idea on this?
    weird...

    Best regards
    Tones

    "Stuart" <> ???????:ce2i28$erk$...

    Tones, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Tones

    Stuart Guest

    Tones wrote:

    > thanks for the suggestion mate.
    > i did install and run Spybot but it didn't find anything which fixed the
    > problem.
    >
    > anyway, i tried the "Restore" function in XP and it half-fixed the problem.
    > the yahoo msger went back to the old version, and this now works.
    > but the MSN msger still doesn't work. (an error msg says "we were unable to
    > sign you in to the .NET Messenger Service, possibly because of a problem
    > with your internet connection. Pls try later. 0x81000370")
    > and I still cannot logon to my hotmail using IE web page.
    > do you have any idea on this?
    > weird...

    I would still suggest you run other spyware programs as well because
    spybot doesn't find everything, you could still have something that
    spybot has not picked up.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Tones

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:11:29 +0800, "Tones" <> wrote:

    >I have a desktop and laptop both running on XP Home, and both were running
    >absolutely fine. One day, on my laptop, I clicked on the "YES" button on the
    >annoying pop-up alert from Yahoo messenger asking me to upgrade the version.
    >Usually my habit is to click on "NO" so as not to cause any new problems
    >once Windows is stable (which now it has proven my habit is right). Anyway,
    >Yahoo downloaded the upgrade version and installed successfully, and now the
    >weird problem is that yahoo msger AND also MSN msger cannot logon at all,
    >yet I can still browse the internet using IE on my laptop. One more
    >extremely weird thing is when I use IE to login to my hotmail account at the
    >hotmail website, an error page results, and of course cannot read my mails.
    >i already tried completely uninstalling and re-installing both messengers,
    >but the results are the same. With my desktop, i checked that both my yahoo
    >and hotmail accounts were indeed OK and active. BTW, my laptop is connected
    >to internet via wirelss LAN (centrino), if this is a piece of useful info.
    >Would anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, pls? Is it possible
    >that Yahoo msger modified some kinda internet connection setting during the
    >installing? I went thru them, and don't see any obvious faults. pls help....

    Check your HOSTS and LMHOSTS files.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

    Trent©, Jul 27, 2004