Weird Globalisation Scenario

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    The US software patents regime flags a major shift in priorities - the
    decision to transform the economic landscape from one which facilitates
    a booming software sector to one which creates a booming legal sector.

    Historians will inevitably come to the conclusion that if the present
    patents regime/industry had been in place from the 1970s, there's no way
    that easily affordable internet-connectible PCs would have been
    available by 1995. It'd be more like 2003 (if we're lucky), with all
    internet users having to pay a stiff monthly 'license fee' in addition
    to their ISP fee, and with nowhere near the bewilderingly rich range of
    services and protocols.

    Under US pressure, other areas of the world such as Aus and Europe are
    being heavily pushed to implement a similar patents regime.

    Meanwhile, previously third-world countries such as India have an IT
    sector which took a long time to gear up, but is now booming in leaps
    and bounds.

    I guess that in the end, the world's software market will be owned by
    those countries which can create/sustain a competent IT sector while
    staunchly resisting demands to cripple this sector with the US patents
    regime.

    This opportunity includes NZ. I wonder if the politicians here will be
    smart/open enough to recognise this and take advantage.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Evil Bastard

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > This opportunity includes NZ. I wonder if the politicians here will be
    > smart/open enough to recognise this and take advantage.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > EB

    If only.

    Nik Coughin, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Evil Bastard

    steve Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Under US pressure, other areas of the world such as Aus and Europe are
    > being heavily pushed to implement a similar patents regime.
    >
    > Meanwhile, previously third-world countries such as India have an IT
    > sector which took a long time to gear up, but is now booming in leaps
    > and bounds.
    >
    > I guess that in the end, the world's software market will be owned by
    > those countries which can create/sustain a competent IT sector while
    > staunchly resisting demands to cripple this sector with the US patents
    > regime.
    >
    > This opportunity includes NZ. I wonder if the politicians here will be
    > smart/open enough to recognise this and take advantage.

    They're smart enough.

    The risk is that they will trade this away in exchange for better market
    access for our primary and agricultural produce.

    steve, Sep 3, 2004
  4. In article <teOZc.21142$>,
    Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >Under US pressure, other areas of the world such as Aus and Europe are
    >being heavily pushed to implement a similar patents regime.

    Yup. The Australians are starting to discover some of the unpleasant
    ramifications of the free-trade deal they've signed with the US.

    >I guess that in the end, the world's software market will be owned by
    >those countries which can create/sustain a competent IT sector while
    >staunchly resisting demands to cripple this sector with the US patents
    >regime.
    >
    >This opportunity includes NZ. I wonder if the politicians here will be
    >smart/open enough to recognise this and take advantage.

    I think the signs are encouraging. Look how we're giving greater
    priority to forming free trade agreements with China and other
    East/South-East-Asian countries than with the US. I would say that's
    long-term thinking.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 4, 2004