    Thanks for any help!
    Liam

    , Dec 23, 2004

  2. Moz Champion Guest

    Re: Weird formatting problems appearing only in Linux version ofFireFox

    wrote:

    > I've a site: http://gto.ie-studios.net/products.php that looks
    > perfectly fine in Windows whether with IE or Firefox 1.0.
    > But when viewed in the Linux version of Firefox 1.0, images get
    > misaligned and breaks between then appear.
    > Why the two different behaviors on the same browser but different OS's?
    >
    > Anyway, that page as an example DOES W3C HTML validate AND W3C CSS
    > validate as well.
    > So, there's no ERRORS per se, but I suppose there's still something I'm
    > technically doing wrong.
    >
    > Could someone give me a clue what I need to remove/add/change to
    > prevent this problem? For all I know it's happening on Mac's as well,
    > but I don't have one to try it on.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > Liam

    Whats the difference in resolutions between the machines?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Dec 24, 2004

  3. LRW Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've a site: http://gto.ie-studios.net/products.php that looks
    >> perfectly fine in Windows whether with IE or Firefox 1.0.
    >> But when viewed in the Linux version of Firefox 1.0, images get
    >> misaligned and breaks between then appear.
    >> Why the two different behaviors on the same browser but different OS's?
    >>
    >> Anyway, that page as an example DOES W3C HTML validate AND W3C CSS
    >> validate as well.
    >> So, there's no ERRORS per se, but I suppose there's still something I'm
    >> technically doing wrong.
    >>
    >> Could someone give me a clue what I need to remove/add/change to
    >> prevent this problem? For all I know it's happening on Mac's as well,
    >> but I don't have one to try it on.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >> Liam
    >>

    > Whats the difference in resolutions between the machines?

    Well, that's a good suggestion I wouldn't have thought of, but I don't think
    that's the issue. I've viewed the site in Firefox on two different WinXP
    machines--at home and at work. At home I have it at 1360x1024 and at work at
    1152x864.
    I set the Linux machine up with the same resolution as what it used to be in
    WinXP: 1152x864.
    And unless something REALLY weird is going on, it's certainly at that
    because it's the ONLY option I have set for it in the Xwindows
    configuration. X11org.conf if I recall (at home right now.)

    What I'm going to do is download Opera browser when I get back to work
    Wednesday, set it to emulate IE6 and see if that makes a difference. I
    assume when Opera emulates IE6 it's emulating its fast and fancy free way of
    dealing with code. =) But, maybe not. Maybe all it does is tell the Web
    server that it's a different browser than it is.
    In any case, I'll just wait until Wed to see if there's any new info I can
    garner to work with.

    Thanks for replying!
    Liam

    LRW, Dec 27, 2004
  4. C A Upsdell Guest

    LRW wrote:
    > What I'm going to do is download Opera browser when I get back to work
    > Wednesday, set it to emulate IE6 and see if that makes a difference. I
    > assume when Opera emulates IE6 it's emulating its fast and fancy free way of
    > dealing with code. =) But, maybe not. Maybe all it does is tell the Web
    > server that it's a different browser than it is.

    Opera does not emulate IE6. It can, however, identify itself as IE to
    browser sniffers written by incompetent programmers.

    C A Upsdell, Dec 27, 2004
  5. David Baron Guest

    wrote:
    > I've a site: http://gto.ie-studios.net/products.php that looks
    > perfectly fine in Windows whether with IE or Firefox 1.0.
    > But when viewed in the Linux version of Firefox 1.0, images get
    > misaligned and breaks between then appear.
    > Why the two different behaviors on the same browser but different
    > OS's?

    The two different behaviors are because the text input (under "Search")
    has different widths. The width of text inputs that have 'auto' width
    is determined from:
    1. the number of characters the text input is supposed to contain,
    which comes from the size attribute (28 in this case) or its
    default value and
    2. the font's metrics for average and maximum character width.
    The formula is different depending on whether the font is monospace or
    proportional.

    So, based on what fonts are available, it seems like the character
    widths of the fonts chosen when you specify 'font-family:
    Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10px' differ between
    platforms. The design is based around the assumption that those
    character widths will be the same across platforms. This is not a safe
    assumption, since different platforms tend to have different fonts
    available and their font systems may even treat the same fonts slightly
    differently.

    Probably the best solution to this problem is to specify the width of
    the input using CSS (e.g., 'width: 100%') rather than using the size
    attribute, since there doesn't seem to be any special reason that the
    text input needs to hold exactly 28 characters, but there does seem to
    be a design preference that it fill a certain space.

    -David

    --
    L. David Baron <URL: http://dbaron.org/ >

    David Baron, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Guest

    David Baron wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I've a site: http://gto.ie-studios.net/products.php that looks
    > > perfectly fine in Windows whether with IE or Firefox 1.0.
    > > But when viewed in the Linux version of Firefox 1.0, images get
    > > misaligned and breaks between then appear.
    > > Why the two different behaviors on the same browser but different
    > > OS's?

    > The two different behaviors are because the text input (under

    "Search")
    > has different widths. The width of text inputs that have 'auto'

    width
    > is determined from:
    > 1. the number of characters the text input is supposed to contain,
    > which comes from the size attribute (28 in this case) or its
    > default value and
    > 2. the font's metrics for average and maximum character width.
    > The formula is different depending on whether the font is monospace

    or
    > proportional.

    That's it! That's it exactly. On the index page I adjusted the class
    for the text field to remove the character size but add a width in the
    CSS, and /v'wah-lah/! Worked like a charm.
    Now I know a little more about CSS. =)
    And now I need to either make that search block an include or go
    through and change it on every page. =/

    Thanks for the help!
    Liam

    , Dec 30, 2004