Weird Firefox related problem. Can anybody help with this?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jim Lewis, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. Jim Lewis

    Jim Lewis Guest

    When I visit a certain site with my Win2k laptop and Firefox 1.xx the
    entire computer freezes. I have to shut it down with the power button
    which is inadvisable and results in a scan of the hard disk for errors
    when rebooting, so clearly something I want to avoid.

    This site was ok before I updated to 1.xx from FF 0.8 (I did so a
    while ago to 1.02, but then went back to 0.8 because of this problem,
    but now I updated to 1.04 and it does the same - except I think took
    longer to crash/freeze). What's weirder is that I have FF 1.02 on my
    desktop, also with Win2k, and the site works fine with that.

    The site in question is http://www.ak47.org where I have a free email
    address. You can get to the email login also at http://mail.ak47.org
    which doesn't crash, but it's a different site (ie, Everyone.net login
    page, rather than the ak47.org site). No other sites I have visited
    _so far_ have crashed my laptop like this, but if it happens there I
    am assuming it could happen at other sites.

    If the site has a problem - unlike most sites it validates as both
    XHTML 1.0 and CSS strict and contains no flash, Java or cookies and
    very little Javascript - why does it work fine on my desktop computer,
    also with Win2k and FF 1.xx? Likewise, if it's a FF 1.xx problem, how
    come it works on my desktop PC? And if it's a problem with my laptop,
    why does the site work fine with it with FF 0.8?

    So is it a combination of my laptop setup + FF 1.xx + this site? I'm
    baffled.

    I dunno if anybody has any answer, or wants to try that site with FF
    (but be warned, on my laptop it freezes the computer and needs to be
    powered off and on reboot), or has knowledge of any other sites or
    similar problems people have reported about FF, but I would love to
    know the answer to this. Obviously I would prefer to use FF 1.xx
    instead of 0.8 and not have to worry about sites crashing my laptop.

    Thanks for any help.

    Jim
    Jim Lewis, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Jim Lewis

    B. Peg Guest

    Mine crashed much the same way yours did today. I needed to unplug the
    modem at which point the screen went all black. Then had to do a hard
    reboot.

    It began wanting to send crash info to mozilla.org which I allowed.
    Sometimes it will not go through and the Alert Window comes up (every time
    now).

    I turned off the Alert ( via the checkbox), but it still pops up the Alert
    Window when I attempt to start Firefox. Only now the Alert Window has
    nothing in it (it's all gray). If I shut it by hitting the red X, Firefox
    starts but it too has nothing in it - just gray window. Now it is totally
    dead and won't start at all.

    Previously, when it was crashing and working, I did go back to 1.03 from
    1.04 but problem still exists - only worse now as it will not run at all.
    One attempt to call Microsft resulted in a xpcom.dll crash from Firefox.
    This has been happening on a dial-up laptop at home as well as a corporate
    (university) LAN to me.

    Dunno, but the 0.9x versions seemed more steady than the 1.0x series. Back
    to IE6 which seems to be running okay.

    B~
    B. Peg, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Jim Lewis <> wrote in news:42aa6199$0$401
    $:

    > When I visit a certain site with my Win2k laptop and Firefox 1.xx the
    > entire computer freezes. I have to shut it down with the power button
    > which is inadvisable and results in a scan of the hard disk for errors
    > when rebooting, so clearly something I want to avoid.
    >
    > This site was ok before I updated to 1.xx from FF 0.8 (I did so a
    > while ago to 1.02, but then went back to 0.8 because of this problem,
    > but now I updated to 1.04 and it does the same - except I think took
    > longer to crash/freeze). What's weirder is that I have FF 1.02 on my
    > desktop, also with Win2k, and the site works fine with that.
    >
    > The site in question is http://www.ak47.org where I have a free email
    > address. You can get to the email login also at http://mail.ak47.org
    > which doesn't crash, but it's a different site (ie, Everyone.net login
    > page, rather than the ak47.org site). No other sites I have visited
    > _so far_ have crashed my laptop like this, but if it happens there I
    > am assuming it could happen at other sites.
    >
    > If the site has a problem - unlike most sites it validates as both
    > XHTML 1.0 and CSS strict and contains no flash, Java or cookies and
    > very little Javascript - why does it work fine on my desktop computer,
    > also with Win2k and FF 1.xx? Likewise, if it's a FF 1.xx problem, how
    > come it works on my desktop PC? And if it's a problem with my laptop,
    > why does the site work fine with it with FF 0.8?
    >
    > So is it a combination of my laptop setup + FF 1.xx + this site? I'm
    > baffled.
    >
    > I dunno if anybody has any answer, or wants to try that site with FF
    > (but be warned, on my laptop it freezes the computer and needs to be
    > powered off and on reboot), or has knowledge of any other sites or
    > similar problems people have reported about FF, but I would love to
    > know the answer to this. Obviously I would prefer to use FF 1.xx
    > instead of 0.8 and not have to worry about sites crashing my laptop.

    Delete the cookies related to the website, and clear your cache. Also,
    remove any extensions and themes prior to updating - .8 to any 1.xx
    release is a huge jump.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    The fewer clear facts you have in support of an opinion, the
    stronger your emotional attachment to that opinion.
    Christopher Jahn, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Jim Lewis wrote:
    > When I visit a certain site with my Win2k laptop and Firefox 1.xx the
    > entire computer freezes. I have to shut it down with the power button
    > which is inadvisable and results in a scan of the hard disk for errors
    > when rebooting, so clearly something I want to avoid.
    >
    > This site was ok before I updated to 1.xx from FF 0.8 (I did so a
    > while ago to 1.02, but then went back to 0.8 because of this problem,
    > but now I updated to 1.04 and it does the same - except I think took
    > longer to crash/freeze). What's weirder is that I have FF 1.02 on my
    > desktop, also with Win2k, and the site works fine with that.
    >
    > The site in question is http://www.ak47.org where I have a free email
    > address. You can get to the email login also at http://mail.ak47.org
    > which doesn't crash, but it's a different site (ie, Everyone.net login
    > page, rather than the ak47.org site). No other sites I have visited
    > _so far_ have crashed my laptop like this, but if it happens there I
    > am assuming it could happen at other sites.
    >
    > If the site has a problem - unlike most sites it validates as both
    > XHTML 1.0 and CSS strict and contains no flash, Java or cookies and
    > very little Javascript - why does it work fine on my desktop computer,
    > also with Win2k and FF 1.xx? Likewise, if it's a FF 1.xx problem, how
    > come it works on my desktop PC? And if it's a problem with my laptop,
    > why does the site work fine with it with FF 0.8?
    >
    > So is it a combination of my laptop setup + FF 1.xx + this site? I'm
    > baffled.
    >
    > I dunno if anybody has any answer, or wants to try that site with FF
    > (but be warned, on my laptop it freezes the computer and needs to be
    > powered off and on reboot), or has knowledge of any other sites or
    > similar problems people have reported about FF, but I would love to
    > know the answer to this. Obviously I would prefer to use FF 1.xx
    > instead of 0.8 and not have to worry about sites crashing my laptop.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Jim

    The problem is not with the browser at this point
    (guessing). I believe it could be in any secure ware you
    might have. Norton , Mcafee or similar. Look at the 'blocked
    sites list in the security program. Your site may be in the
    list as a "bad site".

    JUST CURIOUS-- Why would visit a site named for a "Machine
    Gun" ???

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
    Lester Stiefel, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Jim Lewis

    Jefry Guest

    Jim Lewis wrote:
    > When I visit a certain site with my Win2k laptop and Firefox 1.xx the
    > entire computer freezes. I have to shut it down with the power button
    > which is inadvisable and results in a scan of the hard disk for errors
    > when rebooting, so clearly something I want to avoid.
    >
    > This site was ok before I updated to 1.xx from FF 0.8 (I did so a
    > while ago to 1.02, but then went back to 0.8 because of this problem,
    > but now I updated to 1.04 and it does the same - except I think took
    > longer to crash/freeze). What's weirder is that I have FF 1.02 on my
    > desktop, also with Win2k, and the site works fine with that.
    >
    > The site in question is http://www.ak47.org where I have a free email
    > address. You can get to the email login also at http://mail.ak47.org
    > which doesn't crash, but it's a different site (ie, Everyone.net login
    > page, rather than the ak47.org site). No other sites I have visited
    > _so far_ have crashed my laptop like this, but if it happens there I
    > am assuming it could happen at other sites.
    >
    > If the site has a problem - unlike most sites it validates as both
    > XHTML 1.0 and CSS strict and contains no flash, Java or cookies and
    > very little Javascript - why does it work fine on my desktop computer,
    > also with Win2k and FF 1.xx? Likewise, if it's a FF 1.xx problem, how
    > come it works on my desktop PC? And if it's a problem with my laptop,
    > why does the site work fine with it with FF 0.8?
    >
    > So is it a combination of my laptop setup + FF 1.xx + this site? I'm
    > baffled.
    >
    > I dunno if anybody has any answer, or wants to try that site with FF
    > (but be warned, on my laptop it freezes the computer and needs to be
    > powered off and on reboot), or has knowledge of any other sites or
    > similar problems people have reported about FF, but I would love to
    > know the answer to this. Obviously I would prefer to use FF 1.xx
    > instead of 0.8 and not have to worry about sites crashing my laptop.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Jim

    If you check the following link, you will find an answer to the freeze.
    Good luck.
    http://www.internetweek.com/technology/164301406
    Jefry, Jun 15, 2005