    Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    Any idea what it could be?

    RichA, Apr 23, 2005

  2. RichA

    Justin Guest

    RichA wrote on [Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:13:53 -0400]:
    > I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    > It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    > Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    > work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    > Any idea what it could be?

    probably rar. Hope it's not a copywritten work.

    Justin, Apr 23, 2005

  3. RichA

    Jeff Guest

    RichA <> wrote in news:2fel615bbb8pumsj6su5kdlfv443j8p4bo@
    4ax.com:

    > I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    > It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    > Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    > work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    > Any idea what it could be?

    RAR archives. Google "winrar".

    Jeff, Apr 24, 2005
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:46:34 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >RichA wrote on [Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:13:53 -0400]:
    >> I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    >> It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    >> Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    >> work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    >> Any idea what it could be?

    >probably rar. Hope it's not a copywritten work.

    No to both. Win RAR automatically opens those.
    -Rich

    RichA, Apr 24, 2005
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:37:43 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >RichA wrote:
    >> I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    >> It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    >> Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    >> work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    >> Any idea what it could be?

    >...Something to bug you?

    No, I like this kind of thing.

    RichA, Apr 24, 2005
  6. RichA wrote:
    > I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    > It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    > Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    > work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    > Any idea what it could be?

    ....Something to bug you?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 24, 2005
  7. RichA

    Justin Guest

    RichA wrote on [Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:21:59 -0400]:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:46:34 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>RichA wrote on [Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:13:53 -0400]:
    >>> I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    >>> It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    >>> Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    >>> work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    >>> Any idea what it could be?

    >>probably rar. Hope it's not a copywritten work.

    > No to both. Win RAR automatically opens those.

    Even the multi file rars?

    Justin, Apr 24, 2005
  8. RichA

    Biz Guest

    I hope its virus-laden spyware...

    Biz, Apr 24, 2005
  9. RichA

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:13:53 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >Any idea what it could be?

    From a P2P server? Could be a really badly corrupt video or a fake
    file disguised as a movie file to discourage downloaders.

    If I was to download from an unknown source, I would try to take the
    first few MB's of the initial download, copy it to a temp spot, run
    DIVFix on it (if it's AVI) and then play it. If it won't play, it is
    probably fake or bad. if it plays, check and make sure it's what
    you're trying to download.

    I've given up using P2P for the movies anyway, too many fakes file
    around. There are other ways fo getting the movie file but I'm not
    going to give the info out easily.

    Impmon, Apr 24, 2005
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:32:35 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >I hope its virus-laden spyware...

    Sorry to disappoint; I run checks for that.

    RichA, Apr 24, 2005
  11. On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:41:04 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:32:35 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I hope its virus-laden spyware...

    >Sorry to disappoint; I run checks for that.

    It's probably a split file with 001, 002, 003 extensions etc? Join
    with HJsplit or join32.exe
    http://apache.mirrors.esat.net/perl/win32-bin/perl-win32-bin/join32.exe

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 24, 2005
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:01:26 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:41:04 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:32:35 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I hope its virus-laden spyware...

    >>Sorry to disappoint; I run checks for that.

    >It's probably a split file with 001, 002, 003 extensions etc? Join
    >with HJsplit or join32.exe
    >http://apache.mirrors.esat.net/perl/win32-bin/perl-win32-bin/join32.exe
    >
    >.. Steve ..

    Thanks very much, it'll be interesting to see what is created!
    -Rich

    RichA, Apr 24, 2005
  13. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:15:40 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:01:26 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><> wrote:

    >>>Sorry to disappoint; I run checks for that.

    >>It's probably a split file with 001, 002, 003 extensions etc? Join
    >>with HJsplit or join32.exe
    >>http://apache.mirrors.esat.net/perl/win32-bin/perl-win32-bin/join32.exe
    >>
    >>.. Steve ..

    >Thanks very much, it'll be interesting to see what is created!
    >-Rich

    Well, basically, it joined the files, but the end result won't play
    in anything so I have no idea exactly what the file is.
    I guess there's something key missing that is preventing it from
    being recognized as...whatever it is.

    RichA, Apr 25, 2005
  14. "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:13:53 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >>Any idea what it could be?

    > From a P2P server? Could be a really badly corrupt video or a fake
    > file disguised as a movie file to discourage downloaders.
    >
    > If I was to download from an unknown source, I would try to take the
    > first few MB's of the initial download, copy it to a temp spot, run
    > DIVFix on it (if it's AVI) and then play it. If it won't play, it is
    > probably fake or bad. if it plays, check and make sure it's what
    > you're trying to download.
    >
    > I've given up using P2P for the movies anyway, too many fakes file
    > around. There are other ways fo getting the movie file but I'm not
    > going to give the info out easily.
    > --
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

    Some people never evolve beyond their AOL days.

    Warren Schmidt, Apr 25, 2005
  15. RichA

    Darkknight Guest

    what are the extensions of the files?
    i'm guessing it's probably a rar file, if so one file will have the
    extension of .rar and the others will be numerical ie .01, .02 etc
    if so install winrar, this will decompress the files

    Darkknight, Apr 25, 2005
  16. RichA

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    > It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    > Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    > work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    > Any idea what it could be?

    You do have the XviD codec installed, don't you?

    http://www.xvid.org/downloads.html

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Apr 25, 2005
  17. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On 25 Apr 2005 16:36:24 GMT, Dave Garrett <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >
    >> I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    >> It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    >> Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    >> work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    >> Any idea what it could be?

    >You do have the XviD codec installed, don't you?
    >
    >http://www.xvid.org/downloads.html
    >
    >Dave

    Yes, thanks.

    RichA, Apr 25, 2005
  18. On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:15:01 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >On 25 Apr 2005 16:36:24 GMT, Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...
    >>
    >>> I downloaded something, ostensively 700mb in size.
    >>> It lists as "Xvid" and is chopped into 15 meg pieces.
    >>> Nothing will play it. Nero can't use it, Divx player doesn't
    >>> work with it. G-Spot can't id the file type.
    >>> Any idea what it could be?

    >>You do have the XviD codec installed, don't you?
    >>
    >>http://www.xvid.org/downloads.html
    >>
    >>Dave
    >>

    >Yes, thanks.

    Rich, people could be a lot more helpful if you told us:

    A: A sample of the full name of one part, or at least the extension,
    everything after the first period (there may be two)

    B: assuming joining ended up with something, what is the file now
    called?

    C: when you try to play the file in windows Media Player (Preferably
    6.4, mplayer32.exe) what message do you get?

    An installed Xvid codec will not work if the Riff header WITHIN the
    AVI points to DivX, which is often done so that the DivX codec can be
    used to play Xvid. If you have DivX it may need to be the latest,
    which is 5.21 I believe, since older DivX codecs don't necessarily
    play newer encodes, or Xvid. I don't know the filename since you
    haven't told us but sometimes the file will be a media container, such
    as Ogg, and the file is misnamed.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 26, 2005