Weird Canon numbering scheme? (198-9900)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pb@luddltuse.invalid, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Seems canon numbering scheme that usually goes like this:

    152canon/img_5244.jpg
    181canon/img_8148.jpg
    185canon/img_8599.jpg
    197canon/img_9750.jpg
    etc.. (1XXcanon/img_XXnn.jpg)

    Suddenly at picture/movie 198-9900 it jumps to 200-0001 and skips 199-xxxx
    altogether. Anyone else experienced this? and also WHY does Canon have this
    braindamage?

    It would also mean any Canon images named:
    199canon/img_9901.jpg
    .
    .
    199canon/img_9999.jpg
    199canon/img_0000.jpg

    Would be impossible (fake)..

    , Jan 21, 2007

  2. Guest

    Fred <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Seems canon numbering scheme that usually goes like this:
    >>
    >> 152canon/img_5244.jpg
    >> 181canon/img_8148.jpg
    >> 185canon/img_8599.jpg
    >> 197canon/img_9750.jpg
    >> etc.. (1XXcanon/img_XXnn.jpg)
    >>
    >> Suddenly at picture/movie 198-9900 it jumps to 200-0001 and skips 199-xxxx
    >> altogether. Anyone else experienced this? and also WHY does Canon have this
    >> braindamage?

    >Didn't you swap a card for another that has already been used i.e. has
    >info about the last picture taken on *this* card?

    I have used the same card for months.
    And disabled the "reset counter on cardswap" option.
    Anyway this picture session went from 197canon/img_9741 -> 200canon/img_0091
    without swapping card so what you mention is not the case.

    , Jan 21, 2007

  3. Fred Guest

    --
    Frédéric

    Fred, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Fred Guest

    lid wrote:
    > I have used the same card for months.
    > And disabled the "reset counter on cardswap" option.
    > Anyway this picture session went from 197canon/img_9741 -> 200canon/img_0091
    > without swapping card so what you mention is not the case.

    The only case I had a disruption in the numbering of pics (apart
    deleting a bunch of data) was when I used the same cards in different
    bodies. I have an EOS30d and a G3 and it's quite easy to confuse the order.

    --
    Frédéric

    Fred, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Guest

    Fred <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I have used the same card for months.
    >> And disabled the "reset counter on cardswap" option.
    >> Anyway this picture session went from 197canon/img_9741 -> 200canon/img_0091
    >> without swapping card so what you mention is not the case.

    >The only case I had a disruption in the numbering of pics (apart
    >deleting a bunch of data) was when I used the same cards in different
    >bodies. I have an EOS30d and a G3 and it's quite easy to confuse the order.

    Do you know if the camera counter is at say '192-9256' and you insert a card
    that have a picture at the same number position. Will it overwrite that picture
    when you take one with the camera?
    If it will overwrite in this situation.. it's certainly a bad thing..

    , Jan 21, 2007
  6. Dave Cohen Guest

    lid wrote:
    > Fred <> wrote:
    >> lid wrote:
    >>> I have used the same card for months.
    >>> And disabled the "reset counter on cardswap" option.
    >>> Anyway this picture session went from 197canon/img_9741 -> 200canon/img_0091
    >>> without swapping card so what you mention is not the case.

    >> The only case I had a disruption in the numbering of pics (apart
    >> deleting a bunch of data) was when I used the same cards in different
    >> bodies. I have an EOS30d and a G3 and it's quite easy to confuse the order.

    > Do you know if the camera counter is at say '192-9256' and you insert a card
    > that have a picture at the same number position. Will it overwrite that picture
    > when you take one with the camera?
    > If it will overwrite in this situation.. it's certainly a bad thing..

    1. Canon specifically mention the 99 thing (check the manual for exact
    wording).
    2. With reset counter off, you should never go backwards in numbering.
    If numbers on the card are lower than last pic taken, camera should skip
    to next higher camera number. If number on card is higher than last pic
    taken, camera internal counter will skip, so you will not overwrite a
    picture on card.

    I've not reached as high a number as mentioned here, but it looks like
    you've reached the number limit and numbering is rolling over although
    it's not clear if you mean you took a whole bunch of pics and the last
    number was 91, did you not get 0001 etc.?, although it seems the folder
    number isn't getting reset.
    I agree, figuring out the canon algorithm is quite a challenge.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Guest

    >1. Canon specifically mention the 99 thing (check the manual for exact
    >wording).

    We fucked up, but the damage description is in the manual ;)

    >2. With reset counter off, you should never go backwards in numbering.
    >If numbers on the card are lower than last pic taken, camera should skip
    >to next higher camera number. If number on card is higher than last pic
    >taken, camera internal counter will skip, so you will not overwrite a
    >picture on card.

    Good ;)

    >I've not reached as high a number as mentioned here, but it looks like
    >you've reached the number limit and numbering is rolling over although
    >it's not clear if you mean you took a whole bunch of pics and the last
    >number was 91, did you not get 0001 etc.?, although it seems the folder
    >number isn't getting reset.

    I did get 200canon/img_0001.jpg but img_9901-img_0000 doesn't occour.
    The last pic was 200canon/img_0091.jpg in that round.

    >I agree, figuring out the canon algorithm is quite a challenge.

    Well I think it's a case of sloppy programming. Though camera don't screw
    up anything important.

    , Jan 23, 2007