Weird bookmark sorting problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dave Garrett, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    My default setting in Bookmark Manager is unsorted - I prefer to sort
    manually rather than alphabetically or otherwise. Earlier today I had
    Bookmark Manager open, and apparently I accidentally clicked on the
    "Name" bar in the frame displaying the bookmarks (at least, I think
    that's what happened), and it resorted everything. I tried to back out
    of the change, and eventually got back to the sort order I started with,
    but now I'm seeing other strange things happening. When I try to move a
    bookmark by dragging it, or cutting and pasting from one location to
    another, the change either isn't showing up until I close the Bookmark
    Manager then reopen it, or the bookmark shows up somewhere else from
    where I tried to move it - it's almost like the sort order is getting
    screwed up again when I try to move a bookmark.

    Also, I noticed what looks like a separator at the very top of the file,
    above which is what used to be the last entry in the bookmark file. No
    matter what I try, I can't get the last entry back in its proper place
    at the end of the file - if I try to move it, another entry from the end
    of the file is showing up at the top of the file.

    Any ideas? I'm about at my wits' end trying to figure out what happened.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <MPG.1d0acb24d10d86f1989fad@207.14.113.17>,
    says...

    > Any ideas? I'm about at my wits' end trying to figure out what happened.

    Apparently more than I thought, since I forgot to mention that this is
    using FF 1.0.4 on a Win2K platform.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Dave Garrett

    Doug G Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote:
    > My default setting in Bookmark Manager is unsorted - I prefer to sort
    > manually rather than alphabetically or otherwise. Earlier today I had
    > Bookmark Manager open, and apparently I accidentally clicked on the
    > "Name" bar in the frame displaying the bookmarks (at least, I think
    > that's what happened), and it resorted everything. I tried to back out
    > of the change, and eventually got back to the sort order I started with,
    > but now I'm seeing other strange things happening. When I try to move a
    > bookmark by dragging it, or cutting and pasting from one location to
    > another, the change either isn't showing up until I close the Bookmark
    > Manager then reopen it, or the bookmark shows up somewhere else from
    > where I tried to move it - it's almost like the sort order is getting
    > screwed up again when I try to move a bookmark.
    >
    > Also, I noticed what looks like a separator at the very top of the file,
    > above which is what used to be the last entry in the bookmark file. No
    > matter what I try, I can't get the last entry back in its proper place
    > at the end of the file - if I try to move it, another entry from the end
    > of the file is showing up at the top of the file.
    >
    > Any ideas? I'm about at my wits' end trying to figure out what happened.
    >
    > Dave

    Do you have a recent backup copy of the bookmarks.html file?

    Doug G, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Garrett wrote:

    > > My default setting in Bookmark Manager is unsorted - I prefer to sort
    > > manually rather than alphabetically or otherwise. Earlier today I had
    > > Bookmark Manager open, and apparently I accidentally clicked on the
    > > "Name" bar in the frame displaying the bookmarks (at least, I think
    > > that's what happened), and it resorted everything. I tried to back out
    > > of the change, and eventually got back to the sort order I started with,
    > > but now I'm seeing other strange things happening. When I try to move a
    > > bookmark by dragging it, or cutting and pasting from one location to
    > > another, the change either isn't showing up until I close the Bookmark
    > > Manager then reopen it, or the bookmark shows up somewhere else from
    > > where I tried to move it - it's almost like the sort order is getting
    > > screwed up again when I try to move a bookmark.
    > >
    > > Also, I noticed what looks like a separator at the very top of the file,
    > > above which is what used to be the last entry in the bookmark file. No
    > > matter what I try, I can't get the last entry back in its proper place
    > > at the end of the file - if I try to move it, another entry from the end
    > > of the file is showing up at the top of the file.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? I'm about at my wits' end trying to figure out what happened.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > Do you have a recent backup copy of the bookmarks.html file?

    Not as recent as I'd have preferred (a couple of weeks old). But as it
    turns out, I didn't have to use it - the problem seems to have gone
    away. I'm still not quite sure what, if anything, I did to fix it.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Dave Garrett

    Z Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote:
    > but now I'm seeing other strange things happening. When I try to move a
    > bookmark by dragging it, or cutting and pasting from one location to
    > another, the change either isn't showing up until I close the Bookmark
    > Manager then reopen it, or the bookmark shows up somewhere else from
    > where I tried to move it - it's almost like the sort order is getting
    > screwed up again when I try to move a bookmark.

    I get that too, but only when my bookmarks listed don't fit in the
    single column on the page. If I have the down arrow at the bottom or the
    up arrow at the top, cut/paste/drag/drop all act oddly.

    Z, Jun 6, 2005