Weight of Canon Rebel XSi and 18-55mm IS lens (& comparison to 40D)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Archibald, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. Archibald

    Archibald Guest

    The weight of the XSi body is 475 g, as everybody knows (reported on
    many web sites). But that is the weight of the body only, without lens
    or battery.

    The kit lens (18-55mm IS) weighs 200 g according to different web
    sites. That totals to 675 g... still without battery.

    Unfortunately, the camera is virtually useless without the battery,
    and hence I always use a battery when going out with the camera. So,
    FWIW, let me report the weight of the battery: 47 g.

    Total weight with lens and battery is therefore 722g.

    Total weight of the camera ready for use (including body, kit lens,
    lens cap, battery, card, Canon strap and third-party rubber lens hood)
    is 824 g.

    Again FWIW, this compares to 1599 g for the 40D with 17-55mm/2.8 lens,
    lens cap, Canon lens shade, battery, card, and Canon strap. Twice the
    weight... is it twice the camera?

    Archibald

    Archibald, Jun 11, 2008

  2. Archibald

    dullpain Guest

    Most dSLRs have the petite proportions of a Sherman tank.
    Hanging one of these, lens and battery attached, around your neck is like
    walking around with a brick hanging off your neck.
    You must suffer for your art.

    dullpain, Jun 12, 2008

  3. Archibald

    OldBoy Guest

    "dullpain" <> wrote in message
    > Most dSLRs have the petite proportions of a Sherman tank.
    > Hanging one of these, lens and battery attached, around your neck is like
    > walking around with a brick hanging off your neck.
    > You must suffer for your art.

    No, it's part of a fitness scheme.

    OldBoy, Jun 12, 2008
  4. Archibald

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:44:14 GMT, Archibald wrote:

    > Again FWIW, this compares to 1599 g for the 40D with 17-55mm/2.8 lens,
    > lens cap, Canon lens shade, battery, card, and Canon strap. Twice the
    > weight... is it twice the camera?

    Without researching it, I'd guess that the 40D's shutter will last
    more than twice as long, and sports/nature photographers that need
    fast focusing and tracking will probably end up with more than twice
    as many "keepers" as they would if they use an XSi. And if you're a
    working photographer that must occasionally shoot in the rain, the
    40D will leave the XSi in the dust . . . er, mist. Would a meal in
    a fine restaurant match that from a mediocre buffet that lets you
    re-fill your plates as often as you can tolerate? Quality and
    value are measured by more than just weight. :)

    There's really no correct answer to your question. Some will
    really *need* what a 40D offers, and to many of them it will be
    worth more than twice the cost of an XSi. Most XSi users probably
    don't "push" their cameras very much, are pleased with the shots and
    prints that they make, and wouldn't benefit much from the heavier
    and pricier 40D, so for them the 40D wouldn't be "twice the camera".

    ASAAR, Jun 12, 2008
  5. Re: Weight of Canon Rebel XSi and 18-55mm IS lens (& comparison to40D)

    ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Archibald <> wrote:
    > The weight of the XSi body is 475 g, as everybody knows (reported on
    > many web sites). But that is the weight of the body only, without lens
    > or battery.

    What is your point?
    Do you have a point?
    Do you even understand what a point is?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 12, 2008
  6. dullpain wrote:
    > Most dSLRs have the petite proportions of a Sherman tank.
    > Hanging one of these, lens and battery attached, around your neck is
    > like walking around with a brick hanging off your neck.
    > You must suffer for your art.

    You may choose to do so - I chose a lightweight DSLR and lens combination
    instead. It weighs about the same as the two compact cameras it replaced.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 12, 2008
  7. Archibald

    Matt Ion Guest

    Archibald wrote:
    > The weight of the XSi body is 475 g, as everybody knows (reported on
    > many web sites). But that is the weight of the body only, without lens
    > or battery.
    >
    > The kit lens (18-55mm IS) weighs 200 g according to different web
    > sites. That totals to 675 g... still without battery.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the camera is virtually useless without the battery,
    > and hence I always use a battery when going out with the camera. So,
    > FWIW, let me report the weight of the battery: 47 g.
    >
    > Total weight with lens and battery is therefore 722g.
    >
    > Total weight of the camera ready for use (including body, kit lens,
    > lens cap, battery, card, Canon strap and third-party rubber lens hood)
    > is 824 g.
    >
    > Again FWIW, this compares to 1599 g for the 40D with 17-55mm/2.8 lens,
    > lens cap, Canon lens shade, battery, card, and Canon strap. Twice the
    > weight... is it twice the camera?

    Not a valid comparison, as that's a significantly heavier lens on the
    40D as well (f/2.8 vs. f/3.5). It it twice the camera SYSTEM?
    Including that lens, I'd say yes.

    Matt Ion, Jun 12, 2008
  8. Archibald

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:19:36 -0500, John O'Flaherty wrote:

    >> Without researching it, I'd guess that the 40D's shutter will last
    >> more than twice as long, and sports/nature photographers that need
    >> fast focusing and tracking will probably end up with more than twice
    >> as many "keepers" as they would if they use an XSi. And if you're a
    >> working photographer that must occasionally shoot in the rain, the
    >> 40D will leave the XSi in the dust . . . er, mist.

    > . . .
    >
    > What do you mean about shooting in the rain?

    Unlike the XSi which is more of an entry level DSLR, the 40D
    shares some pro level features, such as weather sealing :

    : it appears that while Canon has now weatherproofed the battery and storage
    : compartment doors (water and dust can't enter these compartments when the
    : doors are closed) other areas such as buttons and dials aren't fully weatherproofed
    : as they are on the EOS-1D series. Hence while the EOS 40D's weatherproofing is
    : an improvement over the EOS 30D it doesn't appear to be up to EOS-1D standards.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page3.asp

    ASAAR, Jun 13, 2008