    I started at ISO800 indoors and wound up at 1600 in the disco setting. Used my
    50/1.8 most of the time, for the speed.

    dj

    DJ, Feb 2, 2004

  2. OK, you're capable of taking snapshots.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 2, 2004

  3. DJ

    David Guest

    I concur.

    David, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Did the bride and groom OK your posting their pictures? If not, it was an
    infringement of their privacy - somehting a guest should not do. In that
    case, you should take them off the Web right now.

    "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > It happened yesterday in Melbourne, Australia, not Florida. I was a guest
    > invited with my partner to a wedding where I knew nobody, so I took my

    camera
    > for company :)
    >
    > http://www.splatco.com/david/rhonda_and_peter_wedding/index.htm
    >
    > Comments are invited!
    >
    > The camera is my dRebel. I resolved not to use flash, and relented only at

    the
    > very end when the groom metamorphosed into Elvis, and I judged the Record

    more

    Marvin Margoshes, Feb 2, 2004
  5. DJ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > It happened yesterday in Melbourne, Australia, not Florida. I was a guest
    > invited with my partner to a wedding where I knew nobody, so I took my camera
    > for company :)
    >
    > http://www.splatco.com/david/rhonda_and_peter_wedding/index.htm
    >
    > Comments are invited!
    >
    > The camera is my dRebel. I resolved not to use flash, and relented only at the
    > very end when the groom metamorphosed into Elvis, and I judged the Record more
    > important than the Mood. (Oh, and one outdoor shot with a flash filler).
    >
    > I started at ISO800 indoors and wound up at 1600 in the disco setting. Used my
    > 50/1.8 most of the time, for the speed.
    >
    > dj

    IMG_2473 is your strongest photo. Watch your backgrounds; consider
    the entire frame when you make an image. Many of the backgrounds in
    the images posted are distractingly bright. Check the four edges
    first to facilitate the desired framing, then place your main subject
    in the most advantageous position possible according to your own
    photographic vision or intent. 2473 accomplishes all of this very
    nicely for someone at your skill level. You possess the "raw" talent
    to become a very good photographer. The degree to which you choose to
    refine it is up to you. Nice photo, and best of luck in your future
    photographic endeavors.

    Michael

    street shooter, Feb 2, 2004
  6. "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Did the bride and groom OK your posting their pictures? If not, it was an
    > infringement of their privacy - somehting a guest should not do. In that
    > case, you should take them off the Web right now.
    >
    > "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > > It happened yesterday in Melbourne, Australia, not Florida. I was a guest
    > > invited with my partner to a wedding where I knew nobody, so I took my

    > camera
    > > for company :)
    > >
    > > http://www.splatco.com/david/rhonda_and_peter_wedding/index.htm
    > >
    > > Comments are invited!
    > >
    > > The camera is my dRebel. I resolved not to use flash, and relented only at

    > the
    > > very end when the groom metamorphosed into Elvis, and I judged the Record

    > more
    > > important than the Mood. (Oh, and one outdoor shot with a flash filler).
    > >
    > > I started at ISO800 indoors and wound up at 1600 in the disco setting.

    > Used my
    > > 50/1.8 most of the time, for the speed.
    > >
    > > dj

    If the groom voluntarily broke out the full Elvis regalia, I doubt he
    will have concern for how his image appears on the internet. If the
    bride married said groom, I'm sure the same will apply. I am not
    disparaging their choices, merely stating that their light-hearted
    approach to life may preclude an overly-letigious bent with regard to
    the images posted.

    Michael

    street shooter, Feb 2, 2004
  7. DJ

    GTO Guest

    DJ:

    IMG_2473 is indeed a good picture. I agree with Michael that it is the best
    one of your series. It is the play of the light sources and the harmony of
    people in this image, which I like.

    I usually try to see the unexpected in such events and photograph this. I
    try to use an unconventional angle. For instance while taking an image of
    the bride and groom dancing, there could be a half-filled wine glass in the
    front. Again, my folks don't really like the family pictures I take.
    Especially not when they are on it. I am mostly looking for reflections,
    symmetry and shapes.

    But since I am mostly doing images of small things, I am not really
    qualified to comment on this.

    If you want to see some images of rather small things I took, feel free to
    send me an e-mail and I can forward you my URL.

    Thanks for sharing your work with us.

    Gregor

    GTO, Feb 3, 2004
  8. DJ

    DJ Guest

    On 2 Feb 2004 14:07:58 -0800, (street shooter) wrote:
    <snip>

    >IMG_2473 is your strongest photo. Watch your backgrounds; consider
    >the entire frame when you make an image. Many of the backgrounds in
    >the images posted are distractingly bright. Check the four edges
    >first to facilitate the desired framing, then place your main subject
    >in the most advantageous position possible according to your own
    >photographic vision or intent. 2473 accomplishes all of this very
    >nicely for someone at your skill level. You possess the "raw" talent
    >to become a very good photographer. The degree to which you choose to
    >refine it is up to you. Nice photo, and best of luck in your future
    >photographic endeavors.
    >
    >Michael

    Thank you Michael for a constructive critique. I will keep it in mind for the
    next wedding in a few weeks where I am the official photographer and will
    therefore have the ability/authority to manage events and do formal stuff as
    well. Sunday's exercise was strictly candid, grab as grab can, on a party boat.

    dj

    DJ, Feb 3, 2004

    > > Did the bride and groom OK your posting their pictures? If not, it was

    an
    > > infringement of their privacy - somehting a guest should not do. In

    that
    > > case, you should take them off the Web right now.
    > >
    > > "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > > > It happened yesterday in Melbourne, Australia, not Florida. I was a

    guest
    > > > invited with my partner to a wedding where I knew nobody, so I took my

    > > camera
    > > > for company :)
    > > >
    > > > http://www.splatco.com/david/rhonda_and_peter_wedding/index.htm
    > > >
    > > > Comments are invited!
    > > >
    > > > The camera is my dRebel. I resolved not to use flash, and relented

    only at
    > > the
    > > > very end when the groom metamorphosed into Elvis, and I judged the

    Record
    > > more
    > > > important than the Mood. (Oh, and one outdoor shot with a flash

    filler).

    > > > I started at ISO800 indoors and wound up at 1600 in the disco setting.

    > > Used my
    > > > 50/1.8 most of the time, for the speed.
    > > >
    > > > dj

    > If the groom voluntarily broke out the full Elvis regalia, I doubt he
    > will have concern for how his image appears on the internet. If the
    > bride married said groom, I'm sure the same will apply. I am not
    > disparaging their choices, merely stating that their light-hearted
    > approach to life may preclude an overly-letigious bent with regard to
    > the images posted.
    >
    > Michael

    That's immaterial. A wedding couple does not expect a guest - especially
    one they hardly know - to spread their photos on the Web. It isn't a matter
    of law (though it might be); it is a matter of respect for personal privacy.

    Marvin Margoshes, Feb 3, 2004
  10. DJ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 2 Feb 2004 14:07:58 -0800, (street shooter) wrote:
    > <snip>
    >

    > >IMG_2473 is your strongest photo. Watch your backgrounds; consider
    > >the entire frame when you make an image. Many of the backgrounds in
    > >the images posted are distractingly bright. Check the four edges
    > >first to facilitate the desired framing, then place your main subject
    > >in the most advantageous position possible according to your own
    > >photographic vision or intent. 2473 accomplishes all of this very
    > >nicely for someone at your skill level. You possess the "raw" talent
    > >to become a very good photographer. The degree to which you choose to
    > >refine it is up to you. Nice photo, and best of luck in your future
    > >photographic endeavors.
    > >
    > >Michael

    > Thank you Michael for a constructive critique. I will keep it in mind for the
    > next wedding in a few weeks where I am the official photographer and will
    > therefore have the ability/authority to manage events and do formal stuff as
    > well. Sunday's exercise was strictly candid, grab as grab can, on a party boat.
    >
    > dj

    DJ,

    I would strongly disuade you from being the official photographer at a
    wedding. Its hard work, and its why pros get the "big bucks". I
    occasionally take on a wedding with a partner from school; our selling
    point is two photographers for the price of one. I am happy with our
    work, but I would still never photograph a friend's wedding (all of
    our mutual friends are also photographers). The real expectation is
    always higher than the stated expectation, even for low-budget
    weddings. Most people want caviar results for Cracker Jack cost. If
    you can decline the obligation and still save face, then GET OUT NOW!

    You are a good photographer. Don't rush things. Enjoy the hobby.
    Once money enters the picture - so to speak - the fun is diminished
    exponentially. Photographing children's recreational sports teams
    (known as Litte League here in the States) is a good way to make money
    without all the stresses of a wedding shoot. It will also serve as a
    good training ground toward understanding poses and lighting, which
    can then be applied to a wedding shoot. A wedding shoot is one of the
    few truly once-in-a-lifetime assignments, and requires more advanced
    equipment and more advanced skill than what you currently possess.
    You need to be proficient in both the candid and formal photographs
    required at a wedding, and you will encounter many of the trickiest
    lighting problems at a wedding. Weddings are not a good place to
    start making money.

    I don't want to discourage you, but I fear you are setting yourself
    and your clients up for potentially HUGE disappointment. A true
    wedding pro execises his (her) ability/authority to manage events with
    as little active directing as possible. You absolutely must be able
    to anticipate the next few steps in the process, and if you've never
    been a paid photographer or photographer's assistant at a wedding that
    will not be possible. I am in no way attempting to cast impugnity on
    your current skill level. Your work shows signs of great potential.
    Take some photography classes. Take some jobs less demanding than
    weddings, or try to work with a wedding photographer as an assistant.
    Keep photographing weddings as an invited guest and save the images
    for your portfolio (get model releases); let someone else deal with
    the pressure of being the official photographer.

    Michael

    street shooter, Feb 3, 2004
  11. DJ

    Hugo Drax Guest

    > Thank you Michael for a constructive critique. I will keep it in mind for

    the
    > next wedding in a few weeks where I am the official photographer and will
    > therefore have the ability/authority to manage events and do formal stuff

    as
    > well. Sunday's exercise was strictly candid, grab as grab can, on a party

    boat.

    > dj

    Great shots, I think you will do fine as a wedding photographer, post your
    images when you are done. Ignore they naysayers here.

    Hugo Drax, Feb 4, 2004
  12. DJ

    Frank ess Guest

    Hugo Drax wrote:
    >> Thank you Michael for a constructive critique. I will keep it in
    >> mind for the next wedding in a few weeks where I am the official
    >> photographer and will therefore have the ability/authority to manage
    >> events and do formal stuff as well. Sunday's exercise was strictly
    >> candid, grab as grab can, on a party boat.
    >>
    >> dj

    > Great shots, I think you will do fine as a wedding photographer, post
    > your images when you are done. Ignore they naysayers here.

    Only ignore the nay-sayers who are wrong.

    All generalizations are inherently invalid.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Wel....
    You should really take the overall picture!
    end not only some people....
    The photos should tell a story
    en most of yours don't

    Its even hard to see that is about a wedding......

    Watch your backgrounds and add more scope to the pics....

    ing. A. Kleibeuker, Feb 5, 2004