    find enough.

    Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?

    Thank you.
    Jay Peterman, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Jay Peterman wrote:
    > I was asked by a friend to take some photos at her wedding in July. I
    > told her that she should get someone with better equipment and more
    > experience. I did tell her that I would take some candid pictures but
    > wouldn't guarantee the outcome. She is hiring someone for portrait
    > type stuff.
    >
    > The church wedding will most likely have low lighting. I have a Sony
    > 707 but naturally want to get the best results possible. I doubt I
    > will able to use the flash and have very little experience with the
    > manual settings. I have done some reading here and there but cannot
    > find enough.
    >
    > Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Since your concern is based on your camera and exposure I suggest that
    you go to the church and check two things. First ask about any restrictions
    the church has on photography. It may be more than just flash. Personally
    I would never use flash during a wedding, I just don't believe it is proper
    to do so.

    Second, ask to visit the church with your camera with the lights on as
    they would be for the wedding. Try out different locations and see how the
    lighting works. You will then know how well you and your camera can handle
    things at the church.

    Now back to the general idea of taking wedding photos for a friend.
    Right off from the top you said something that should put a chill down any
    wedding photographers back " have a Sony 707" That means you have no
    backup. Any wedding photographer will tell you that any and every piece of
    photography equipment is designed to breakdown at a wedding. Doing weddings
    really is not a good thing for the first timer.

    OK your going to do it anyway. Get as many wedding books and magazines
    as you can. Don't stop at photography books. Look at all the photographs.
    Get real familiar with what the other photographers have done.

    Your best work is likely to be at the reception. Use your knowledge of
    the people involved to get the kind of personal pictures that a professional
    will miss. Look for that photo of Uncle Fred and Aunt Maggie dancing
    together when they have not spoken to each other for 10 years. That photo
    will be worth more than all that others put together.

    Good Luck, you will need it.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Jay Peterman

    Guest

    Jay Peterman <> wrote:
    > I was asked by a friend to take some photos at her wedding in July. I
    > told her that she should get someone with better equipment and more
    > experience. I did tell her that I would take some candid pictures but
    > wouldn't guarantee the outcome. She is hiring someone for portrait
    > type stuff.

    > The church wedding will most likely have low lighting. I have a Sony
    > 707 but naturally want to get the best results possible. I doubt I
    > will able to use the flash and have very little experience with the
    > manual settings. I have done some reading here and there but cannot
    > find enough.

    > Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?

    See if you can get access to the chapel where the wedding ritual
    will occur, but a few days prior to the event so you can shoot some
    practice shots there. If possible, bring a laptop with you so you
    can download the shots there and see how they look. That way, you can
    make adjustments to the camera's settings and make note of them so
    you know right away what will work in that environment.

    If you can't get access to the room where the wedding will take place,
    then try shooting some low light photos at home with the shades down
    or in some other room where you can create a dimly lighted atmosphere.
    , Apr 12, 2004
  4. Jay Peterman

    Ed Wurster Guest

    Jay Peterman wrote:
    > I was asked by a friend to take some photos at her wedding in July. I
    > told her that she should get someone with better equipment and more
    > experience. I did tell her that I would take some candid pictures but
    > wouldn't guarantee the outcome. She is hiring someone for portrait
    > type stuff.
    >
    > The church wedding will most likely have low lighting. I have a Sony
    > 707 but naturally want to get the best results possible. I doubt I
    > will able to use the flash and have very little experience with the
    > manual settings. I have done some reading here and there but cannot
    > find enough.
    >
    > Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Look for a tripod or monopod with quick disconnect. You need this in low
    light situations, such as at the house, and ceremony shots. Go to the church
    and take many shots now.

    Think of what will happen, and decide exactly what you'll do. Write it down.
    Things occur very quickly, and the moment is gone. Be prepared for the
    lighting changes.

    In the house find a bright room, hopefully with a mirror.

    Check out backgrounds as you are shooting. You can simplify by moving a few
    steps to either side sometimes.

    When you get into the shooting situations where the professional is, be
    aware that they are making money. Don't compete. Shoot the candid stuff, be
    spontaneous and humble.

    Get a tripod which has a quick disconnect, and is easy to level.

    Ask them to buy additional memory and batteries for your camera. Mark your
    battery sets, and your cards.

    Have everything ready the week before.

    You are in for a long day. Do not drink ANY alcohol. Make sure you eat.

    Ed
    Ed Wurster, Apr 12, 2004
  5. Jay Peterman

    Jay Peterman Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:17:17 -0400, Jay Peterman
    <> wrote:

    >I was asked by a friend to take some photos at her wedding in July. I
    >told her that she should get someone with better equipment and more
    >experience. I did tell her that I would take some candid pictures but
    >wouldn't guarantee the outcome. She is hiring someone for portrait
    >type stuff.
    >
    >The church wedding will most likely have low lighting. I have a Sony
    >707 but naturally want to get the best results possible. I doubt I
    >will able to use the flash and have very little experience with the
    >manual settings. I have done some reading here and there but cannot
    >find enough.
    >
    >Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?
    >
    >Thank you.

    Thanks for everyone's help. I will have the opportunity to visit the
    church before the wedding. Unfortuately I cannot attend the rehearsal
    since I have to work. The bridegroom's mother has a general idea of
    the order of events. I know things can happen but at least it will
    help. I will also get to visit the reception "hall". They offered to
    buy memory sticks but I told them I have probably have enough
    (3-128MB). I also live only a couple of miles away and will download
    the wedding pics before going to the reception. I have two batteries
    and a "quick" charger that I can take to the reception.

    These sounded like very good suggestions and I appreciate your time.
    I'm glad I could begin with this in advance. Thanks.
    Jay Peterman, Apr 12, 2004
  6. Jay Peterman

    Howard Guest

    also see how movement (people) will effect the shooting speed(s)

    for stills and a tripod any ISO will work..................

    for movement and or candid shots, is not so easy..take notes and experiment

    In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!
    Howard, Apr 12, 2004
  7. Jay Peterman

    Jay Peterman Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:23 -0700, "Howard"
    <> wrote:

    >also see how movement (people) will effect the shooting speed(s)
    >
    >for stills and a tripod any ISO will work..................
    >
    >for movement and or candid shots, is not so easy..take notes and experiment

    Thanks Howard, I'll keep this in mind.
    Jay Peterman, Apr 12, 2004
  8. Jay Peterman

    GLC1173 Guest

    Ed wrote (to Jay):
    >You are in for a long day. Do not drink >ANY alcohol. Make sure you eat.

    I'd add some advice - learned from being a dealer at gun shows: bring a
    quart thermos of coffee or some other caffeine-laden beverage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, nationwide weather
    <I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
    official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>
    GLC1173, Apr 12, 2004
  9. Jay Peterman

    Ted Rogers Guest

    > Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Hi Jay

    If my experience is of any use I did my half sister's wedding for her a few
    years ago using a Powershot Pro 70, shutter-lag, low resolution the whole
    bit. I had a Microdrive with a few CF cards as backup. I read alot of
    articles, bought some wedding magazines to get some ideas for shots and
    looked at lots of websites.

    The important thing to me was to go to the rehearsal. I was able to talk to
    the vicar about what he would and wouldn't let me do, I took a few test
    shots of the interior of the church and the vestry. I had a bag full of
    batteries on the day and crossed my fingers!

    I also made sure my sister realised that things could go wrong and not to
    have too high expectations.

    As it turned out the pictures were very well received and it was a success -
    I had 10 10 x 8 pictures printed and in an album before the best man's
    speech!

    Good luck!

    Ted
    Ted Rogers, Apr 13, 2004
  10. Jay Peterman

    Jay Peterman Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:46:37 +0100, "Ted Rogers" <>
    wrote:

    >> Could someone provide tips or website links to help me?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >Hi Jay
    >
    >If my experience is of any use I did my half sister's wedding for her a few
    >years ago using a Powershot Pro 70, shutter-lag, low resolution the whole
    >bit. I had a Microdrive with a few CF cards as backup. I read alot of
    >articles, bought some wedding magazines to get some ideas for shots and
    >looked at lots of websites.
    >
    >The important thing to me was to go to the rehearsal. I was able to talk to
    >the vicar about what he would and wouldn't let me do, I took a few test
    >shots of the interior of the church and the vestry. I had a bag full of
    >batteries on the day and crossed my fingers!
    >
    >I also made sure my sister realised that things could go wrong and not to
    >have too high expectations.
    >
    >As it turned out the pictures were very well received and it was a success -
    >I had 10 10 x 8 pictures printed and in an album before the best man's
    >speech!
    >
    >Good luck!
    >
    >Ted

    Thanks you guys. Everyone has been very helpful.

    Jay Peterman, Apr 13, 2004
  11. Jay Peterman

    philipp Guest

    Worry about the technical stuff and have an assistant (wife) pose the
    people.

    philipp, Apr 13, 2004