    the stuff I brought, which was another good lesson. I ended up using two
    flashes, no strobe. If it were a larger venue, or indoors, I would've
    used the strobe a lot more.

    Cynicor, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Cynicor

    Celcius Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, that was an interesting night. Thanks again to everyone for your
    > advice over the past two weeks. I did about 600 photos, bracketed the
    > important ones, made sure to get all the permutations of people, and did
    > formals at the end of a windy dock. I didn't have an assistant, which
    > would've helped (obviously). I shot most everything with an 18-200,
    > which turned out well. I'll probably ditch my 18-70.
    >
    > The biggest problem was sunny backlighting, but the fill flash worked
    > well until sunset. It was also a small group, about 45 people, which
    > really helped with a first assignment. I took control, moving people to
    > my liking, especially to get them posed at right angles to the sun so
    > that the polarizer would keep the sky from blowing out. I didn't use all
    > the stuff I brought, which was another good lesson. I ended up using two
    > flashes, no strobe. If it were a larger venue, or indoors, I would've
    > used the strobe a lot more.

    Great!
    HAppy for you. I know it's possible. I've done it 3 times. OK, they weren't
    "professionally" done, but those who asked me to do it were told in advance
    that it would be so. The interesting point of it all is that I was able to
    give them a lot more "snapshots" of the assistance as well as photos through
    the evening. Photographers do not usually stay on. The newly weds got a lot
    of photos to remember the day by. I gaave them a beautiful CD with all
    retouched photos as well as a small album with the main photos which I
    printed myself. If I do it another time, I'll geti these photos
    professionally printed. It's cheaper. As well, everyone was able to get sets
    of whatever they wanted by downloading originals fron the Internet. Of
    course, I didn't enjoy the evening as much since I was busy dropping in on
    all guests.
    Take care,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jun 22, 2006

  3. Cynicor

    Pat Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > Well, that was an interesting night. Thanks again to everyone for your
    > advice over the past two weeks. I did about 600 photos, bracketed the
    > important ones, made sure to get all the permutations of people, and did
    > formals at the end of a windy dock. I didn't have an assistant, which
    > would've helped (obviously). I shot most everything with an 18-200,
    > which turned out well. I'll probably ditch my 18-70.
    >
    > The biggest problem was sunny backlighting, but the fill flash worked
    > well until sunset. It was also a small group, about 45 people, which
    > really helped with a first assignment. I took control, moving people to
    > my liking, especially to get them posed at right angles to the sun so
    > that the polarizer would keep the sky from blowing out. I didn't use all
    > the stuff I brought, which was another good lesson. I ended up using two
    > flashes, no strobe. If it were a larger venue, or indoors, I would've
    > used the strobe a lot more.

    Glad it worked out. Post a few prints (just the good ones!) when you
    get a chance.

    Don't forget to find a good lab for printing. It's cheaper than inkjet
    and better than the 1-hour places.

    Pat, Jun 22, 2006
  4. Cynicor wrote:
    > Well, that was an interesting night. Thanks again to everyone for your
    > advice over the past two weeks. I did about 600 photos,

    Great. Now you need to get that down to maybe 60 or less so you have 60
    really good photos and no so-so or poor photos. Yea, even hid that one of
    uncle Joe, the one and only one of uncle Joe and the one that just does not
    look right. Remember that is the one they will show to 200 people and tell
    all of them YOU did that slightly out of focus image.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 22, 2006
  5. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> Well, that was an interesting night. Thanks again to everyone for your
    >> advice over the past two weeks. I did about 600 photos,

    > Great. Now you need to get that down to maybe 60 or less so you have 60
    > really good photos and no so-so or poor photos. Yea, even hid that one of
    > uncle Joe, the one and only one of uncle Joe and the one that just does not
    > look right. Remember that is the one they will show to 200 people and tell
    > all of them YOU did that slightly out of focus image.

    Uh...have you ever met Uncle Joe in person? He IS out of focus.

    Cynicor, Jun 23, 2006
  6. Cynicor

    Joan Guest

    LOL

    Mine died about 20 years ago. He's now out of everything.

    --
    Joan

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    : Joseph Meehan wrote:
    : > Cynicor wrote:
    : >> Well, that was an interesting night. Thanks again to everyone for
    your
    : >> advice over the past two weeks. I did about 600 photos,
    : >
    : > Great. Now you need to get that down to maybe 60 or less so
    you have 60
    : > really good photos and no so-so or poor photos. Yea, even hid
    that one of
    : > uncle Joe, the one and only one of uncle Joe and the one that just
    does not
    : > look right. Remember that is the one they will show to 200 people
    and tell
    : > all of them YOU did that slightly out of focus image.
    :
    : Uh...have you ever met Uncle Joe in person? He IS out of focus.

    Joan, Jun 23, 2006
  7. Cynicor

    Don Guest

    Cynicor

    Well done, not as much a chore as some would make out. Have a look at the
    web site momento.com.au for some printing options that just might meet your
    needs. I have used that service and its fantastic. I have no connection
    except as a user of their software which is downloaded for free. Also
    plagiarised a few ideas from other photobooks of weddings that can be viewed
    on the site.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Jun 23, 2006
  8. On 22/6/06 14:44, in article ,
    "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    > Well, that was an interesting night. Thanks again to everyone for your
    > advice over the past two weeks. I did about 600 photos, bracketed the
    > important ones, made sure to get all the permutations of people, and did
    > formals at the end of a windy dock. I didn't have an assistant, which
    > would've helped (obviously). I shot most everything with an 18-200,
    > which turned out well. I'll probably ditch my 18-70.
    >
    > The biggest problem was sunny backlighting, but the fill flash worked
    > well until sunset. It was also a small group, about 45 people, which
    > really helped with a first assignment. I took control, moving people to
    > my liking, especially to get them posed at right angles to the sun so
    > that the polarizer would keep the sky from blowing out. I didn't use all
    > the stuff I brought, which was another good lesson. I ended up using two
    > flashes, no strobe. If it were a larger venue, or indoors, I would've
    > used the strobe a lot more.

    Sounds like you enjoyed it. Congratulations.

    teflon nonstick, Jun 24, 2006