    Its just that most wedding photographers are still using film SLRs, and I
    can't really afford a 12 mega pixel SLR at the moment.

    Any Advice?
    davies, May 17, 2004

  2. davies

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Some wedding photographers still use 2-1/4 square film format. Digital has
    reached a point where it is definitely good enough for wedding pictures.
    However, there are features, required for those situations, that you will
    only find in high end digital cameras. I would seriously try to save enough
    money to get the Canon 10d, if possible.

    Bill Crocker

    6

    Bill Crocker, May 17, 2004

  3. davies

    davies Guest

    what type of features are we talking about? is this somethink the 300d and
    d70 have not got?

    davies, May 17, 2004
  4. The brand and model of your equipment is nowhere near as important as
    your skill with it.
    Randall Ainsworth, May 17, 2004
  5. davies

    gsum Guest

    A 6mpixel dSLR will do all you need and will do it better than a 35 mm
    film SLR. The 300D and the D70 are both fine.

    When you select a printer, ensure that it uses archival inks e.g.
    Epson 2100, as the prints are light fast for many years. I used to use
    an Epson 1290 and have had problems with some images fading
    within months. This is not good, especially if you're selling images.

    Graham

    gsum, May 17, 2004
  6. davies

    bagal Guest

    ooo 'eck here's big bad bagal with tuppen'orth again

    when you go for a meal or a drink or to a movie or ... one of the things
    that is in with the cost of the whatever is the image and decor of the place
    you frequesnt

    When there is a rather large group - possibly milling about in happy
    confusion with a moderate dash of chaos and excitement one of the reassuring
    things to see is the person with the tripod

    I mean, how can the photographer be poor with a three-legged-thingy?

    How do you get the people together apart from setting the tripod at some
    suitable backdrop and then usher in the people accordingly.

    Nope, the camera at this level is a secondary consideration. The first one
    is to secure a rather good wholesom and respectable tripod that people will
    admire. Once found, seek a camera that will sit on it nicely and with
    gravity

    all IMHO - besides, we never usually rate good meals by the technical mass
    of componenets - finished product

    the bagal

    ah - were a good matching suit too

    so there u r
    1 -tripod
    2 - camera
    3 - suit
    a 4th - allow the people to delight in your company (it may be good for
    business)

    bagal, May 17, 2004
  7. Hi Davies

    > what type of features are we talking about? is this somethink the 300d and
    > d70 have not got?

    The D70 has plenty of controls available. Nikon gave us a better D100
    rather than a crippled D100. It shoots fast NEFs with JPEGs.
    The JPEGs are nice for speedy posting to the web for customer image
    selection. The NEFs are nice for extraordinary print quality as desired.

    A few other notes:

    o- For nice group setup shots, you'll want umbrella'd
    or light-boxed strobes, and a way to trigger them.
    I used Wein wireless shmootz. Nikon
    and Wein both make hotshoe to PC-connection adapters for wired
    connections. Wireless is the way to go, even if
    you can't get there right away.

    o- A bracket to hold one or two flash heads away from the camera is nice.
    Manfrotto makes some under-$50 units that are interesting:

    Manfrotto Flash Bracket # 330 (Bogen code 3278)
    http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=4&itemid=352

    Manfrotto Camera Flash Bracket #3429 (Bogen code 233B)
    http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=873

    Custom Brackets makes nice rotating units ~$200:

    Custom Brackets 35mm Rotating Camera/Flash Bracket Systems
    http://www.custombrackets.com/35mm Format/Index.html

    o- Putting a bouncer/diffuser/softbox on a flash, making it a little light-box, is nice for
    closeups. Here's a bunch out on Adorama:

    Bounce/Diffusers for Small Flash

    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...at3=Bounce/Diffusers for Small Flash&sf=Price

    0- You want a backup camera that at least uses the same lenses.
    Best to have a 2nd of the same camera. A 2nd camera that uses
    film is okay in a $$$ pinch, but will remind you of why you went digital if you have
    to use it.

    o- Come with fully-charged battery/ies. Bring spare batteries.

    o- Bring lots of memory cards, in as
    large a size and as fast as you can afford. It's nice to be able to
    take 300 to 500 NEF+JPEG'd shots, which on the D70 would
    clock in at 2 to 4 GB.

    o- An assistant is nice to have.

    o- Get services and costs written up and agreed-to beforehand.

    o- Also: Bagal's tripod/suit/personality advice is indeed
    of the most practical importance.

    -- stan
    Stanley Krute, May 17, 2004
  8. davies

    zeitgeist Guest

    > I want to take up Wedding photography with a digital camera, the SLR's I'm
    > looking to buy is between the Canon 300D or the Nikon D70.
    >
    > Are the quality of them cameras good enough for wedding photography being

    6
    > mega pixels. Or am I better buying a Film SLR?
    >
    > Its just that most wedding photographers are still using film SLRs, and I
    > can't really afford a 12 mega pixel SLR at the moment.

    I was a mamiya shooter most of my career, had a wide selection of lenses,
    used the soft focus lens a lot, even the fisheye, I was invested.

    bought a little G2 just to see what the fuss is about, haven't shot a roll
    of film since.

    I've shot several weddings with the 4mp G2. Yes there are a few things here
    and there where a big file or a good large neg would have been better, but
    screw it, I'm not a perfectionist, and the taste of the public shifts with
    the technology, way back when real photogs used a 4x5 speed graphic they
    sneered at those 'mini at chure' cameras like the Rollie and Blad. See you
    can count the threads in the tux and tell if the pearls are fake.

    I didn't worry about the speed of the camera cause I was used to the slower
    more deliberate pace of med-format on a tripod.

    A 4mp capture seems as good as a 35mm neg. That's my opinion of course.
    Wait till I get up to speed with my 14mp.

    remember, photography is about using exposure and lighting to create an
    image, the camera is the tool. I am sure that mechanics can argue for
    hours about Snap On vs MAC and chefs about Calphalon vs whatever.

    This reply is echoed to the z-prophoto mailing list at yahoogroups where
    there are lots of posts about lighting and posing, and business stuff in the
    archives.
    zeitgeist, May 18, 2004
  9. > I was a mamiya shooter most of my career, had a wide selection of lenses,
    > used the soft focus lens a lot, even the fisheye, I was invested.

    I've pretty much been a Hasselblad guy, but for a number of years I
    used the RB in the studio with that soft focus lens. Man, that was the
    absolute perfect lens for portraiture. Wish it had been a little
    longer in focal length, but the soft focus was outstanding. I've
    considered getting the soft focus lens for my 10D.
    Randall Ainsworth, May 18, 2004