Wedding Photographer Ad Critique

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Aug 2, 2006

  2. On 2 Aug 2006 06:49:55 -0700, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    >hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    >over, and give me a critique.
    >
    >http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    Have you posted the ad before? The ad this link points to has been
    there for only 1 day. Getting "bites" in one day may be overly
    optimistic.
    Kill your Television, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Chris

    SkipM Guest

    I LIKE that "creepy" pic. We get a lot of brides who want something off
    center. Mom, no, but the bride, yeah. CraigsList tends to bring the not so
    mainstream brides out, the conservative ones go to bridal shows, get
    referrals from friends, hang out at The Knot and Bridal Insider, look at
    magazines.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    SkipM, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Chris

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/2/06 8:49 AM, in article
    , "Chris"
    <> wrote:

    > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > over, and give me a critique.
    >
    > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    From the above url:
    " Also, I am opening my prices to an hourly rate with no minimum time."
    I'll take 75 seconds. Where do I send my $4.17?
    George Kerby, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Kill your Television wrote:
    > On 2 Aug 2006 06:49:55 -0700, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > >hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > >over, and give me a critique.
    > >
    > >http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    > Have you posted the ad before? The ad this link points to has been
    > there for only 1 day. Getting "bites" in one day may be overly
    > optimistic.

    I wonder what kind of ratio, I could expect? Hits per Bite? I have
    posted on craig's list before, and I'm learning that refining your post
    helps a TON. After about three iterations, I started getting 2 to 3
    bites per day on a movie production ad, but before I refined my ad, I
    wasn't getting anything.

    Chris Maness
    Chris, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Chris wrote:
    > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > over, and give me a critique.
    >
    > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    Your sample photo is too.....offbeat.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Aug 2, 2006
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    George Kerby wrote:
    > On 8/2/06 8:49 AM, in article
    > , "Chris"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > > over, and give me a critique.
    > >
    > > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html
    > >

    > From the above url:
    > " Also, I am opening my prices to an hourly rate with no minimum time."
    > I'll take 75 seconds. Where do I send my $4.17?

    I'm counting on the fact that it's wedding photography, and I've never
    had a request shorter than two hours for a wedding. Bussiness is a
    little slow right now, and whatever I can do to get more of it is cool.
    Chris, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    > > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > > over, and give me a critique.
    > >
    > > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html
    > >

    > Your sample photo is too.....offbeat.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    By offbeat, do you mean edgy? (that is a California word to mean artsy
    fartsy to the exteme)
    Chris, Aug 2, 2006
  9. Chris

    Rod Williams Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > over, and give me a critique.
    >
    > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    I think most people are looking for good color prints. Your picture
    might be interesting to some but not to the majority of people wanting
    wedding photos.
    Rod Williams, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Chris

    Guest

    I loved the site and pictures.
    I would however redesing the site and stay away from complete Flash
    solution because it lowers sites postion in search engines. Not sure if
    this is your objective however.
    Overall it is a very nice site. Who developed it, if not a secret?

    Rod Williams wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    > > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > > over, and give me a critique.
    > >
    > > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html
    > >

    > I think most people are looking for good color prints. Your picture
    > might be interesting to some but not to the majority of people wanting
    > wedding photos.
    , Aug 2, 2006
  11. Chris

    salgud Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    > > Chris wrote:
    > > > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > > > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > > > over, and give me a critique.
    > > >
    > > > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html
    > > >

    > > Your sample photo is too.....offbeat.
    > >
    > > --
    > > John McWilliams

    > By offbeat, do you mean edgy? (that is a California word to mean artsy
    > fartsy to the exteme)

    I agree with John, the photo is too unusual for most people. A more
    conventional pic would help.
    salgud, Aug 2, 2006
  12. Chris

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/2/06 10:13 AM, in article
    , "Chris"
    <> wrote:

    > George Kerby wrote:
    >> On 8/2/06 8:49 AM, in article
    >> , "Chris"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    >>> hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    >>> over, and give me a critique.
    >>>
    >>> http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html
    >>>

    >> From the above url:
    >> " Also, I am opening my prices to an hourly rate with no minimum time."
    >> I'll take 75 seconds. Where do I send my $4.17?

    > I'm counting on the fact that it's wedding photography, and I've never
    > had a request shorter than two hours for a wedding. Bussiness is a
    > little slow right now, and whatever I can do to get more of it is cool.

    You ever seen a Vegas wedding? You better put a minimal!
    ;-)

    George Kerby, Aug 2, 2006
  13. Chris

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/2/06 1:20 PM, in article
    , "salgud"
    <> wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> Your sample photo is too.....offbeat.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> John McWilliams

    >> By offbeat, do you mean edgy? (that is a California word to mean artsy
    >> fartsy to the exteme)

    > I agree with John, the photo is too unusual for most people. A more
    > conventional pic would help.

    Hey! It's L.A. - the more unusual fly there.

    George Kerby, Aug 2, 2006
  14. Chris

    oj Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > over, and give me a critique.
    >
    > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    I'm not in the market, but I would think you'd want to spice it up a
    bit with some better html work. I'm not saying "blink" or anything,
    but put on a serif font, maybe some borders.

    Also change the wording so your prices sound like something I shouldn't
    miss out on. Right now it gives the appearance that you're a little
    desperate. Something like "Special! Need limited coverage? Why pay
    all day when hourly rates are now available (through August 31). Don't
    miss out on quality coverage with 2 photographers for only $300/hour".
    The wording of the whole bit seems a little amateur. Doesn't really
    seem like someone I'd want to trust my day to. Give it a professional
    edge.

    Of course, I'm not a Craigslist expert. Maybe this works for that
    audience.

    oj
    oj, Aug 2, 2006
  15. Chris

    Mark² Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting
    > several hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could
    > look it over, and give me a critique.
    >
    > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    OK. I'm going to give it to you very honestly.
    I'm not trying to be brutal...just honest enough to "paint a picture," if
    you will.

    I think the selected image is a poor choice.
    Color isolation can be interesting under certain circumstances, but in this
    picture, she appears to be sitting in front of a huge mountain of fertilizer
    (or perhaps Dinosaur dung?). While it may have contained interesting color
    at the scene, in black & white it just looks drab and a little creepy.

    Remember...you are trying to appeal to BRIDES here...not technical whiz
    types. To win a BRIDE over into your business, you have to evoke
    romance...feeling...love. -Not gimicky photo tricks. Make another
    selection and remove this photo ASAP.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Aug 2, 2006
  16. Chris

    Helen Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > over, and give me a critique.

    If, god forbid, I was to marry, I certainly wouldn't use you to photograph
    the event. This is based both upon the poor quality of the picture on the
    website you posted about, and upon the lack of imagination in the design of
    the site at Craigs list.

    Then when I visited your own site, as mentioned on the posted site, the
    first thing I see is that Firefox prevented a popup. Bad news. Then it's
    in Flash. Bad news. Then Sample 01, apparently supposed to be of the wedding
    of Jason and Wilma, appears to be nothing more than a very dark monochrome
    rendering of some flowers. Clicking on Samples 02, 03 and 04 does nothing
    except briefly fade in some very small samples.

    Weddings are a highly competitive field, and you are going to need better
    than all this if you're to penetrate the market.

    And finally, if Musicians and Bio, for example, are "Coming soon", then why
    are the links in the menu?

    Finally finally, the back button takes me back to the first site, not the

    HTH

    H.
    Helen, Aug 2, 2006
  17. Chris

    Mark² Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >> I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting
    >> several hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could
    >> look it over, and give me a critique.
    >>
    >> http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    > OK. I'm going to give it to you very honestly.
    > I'm not trying to be brutal...just honest enough to "paint a
    > picture," if you will.
    >
    > I think the selected image is a poor choice.
    > Color isolation can be interesting under certain circumstances, but
    > in this picture, she appears to be sitting in front of a huge
    > mountain of fertilizer (or perhaps Dinosaur dung?). While it may
    > have contained interesting color at the scene, in black & white it
    > just looks drab and a little creepy.
    > Remember...you are trying to appeal to BRIDES here...not technical
    > whiz types. To win a BRIDE over into your business, you have to evoke
    > romance...feeling...love. -Not gimicky photo tricks. Make another
    > selection and remove this photo ASAP.

    OK.
    -After looking at some of your other photos, I really must say that you have
    some VERY nice images of great moments. In spite of the motion blur, the
    series of shots where the 4th couple are in tears is truly wonderful. Great
    moments that I'm sure this couple will treasure. THESE are the kind of
    moments that will capture a bride's attention and create interest in your
    services. Also the more standard shots--like of the same couple, outside,
    with their HUGE smiles. Another very nice image. Your flash page is so
    very slick...but your initial page post is absolutely drab by comparison.
    Your first page should at LEAST look as polished as the flash pages--but
    without flash. A similar color scheme would be good. I would add here that
    I did not expect to find such a nice presentation on your main page--simply
    because the link you posted was to such a boring page. Lift it to the level
    of your flash presentation's look, and you'll be getting somewhere.

    -Mark

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Aug 3, 2006
  18. Chris

    AlanW Guest

    Hi Chris,

    My comments do not apply to your photography. Your photography is
    fine. I believe that you need some help in "marketing" your studio and
    your work. For example, your web site did not have an address so I
    wouldn't know if you were in my area or not. Further, I have two
    suggestions for you to consider:

    1. What are the benefits of using you versus your competitors? Market
    the benefits of you and your studio..

    2. Craigs list may not be the best media to reach your customers. The
    first thing you should do is to determine who your target customers
    are (not just brides to be). Then, determine the best way to reach
    those customers.

    Again, you may want to seek some help to market your business. One
    source I could recommend is SCORE. SCORE provides free counseling to
    small businesses. They are located nationwide and all counseling is
    free. You may want to check out their web site: www.score.org to
    locate a chapter near you or, to address your questions to them via
    e-mail. Good luck and keep trying!

    AlanW, Aug 3, 2006
  19. Chris

    Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I posted a wedding photographer ad on Craigs List. I'm getting several
    > hits, but no bites. I'm wondering if you guys / gals could look it
    > over, and give me a critique.
    >
    > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/evs/188888942.html

    Yup, I have to agree with the other posters. Get rid of the somewhat
    creepy pic; start with something standard and staid - it's not only the
    bride that'll be looking, it's the bride's MOTHER. Some L.A. moms may
    be looking for "artistic" but most will want romance, lace and soft
    focus. And the flash on your site loaded too slow on my (fast)
    broadband, I lost patience, especially for such small hard-to-see
    samples. Not that I'm a wedding pro, but just my two cents worth.
    , Aug 3, 2006
  20. Chris

    Chris Guest

    AlanW wrote:
    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > My comments do not apply to your photography. Your photography is
    > fine. I believe that you need some help in "marketing" your studio and
    > your work. For example, your web site did not have an address so I
    > wouldn't know if you were in my area or not. Further, I have two
    > suggestions for you to consider:
    >
    > 1. What are the benefits of using you versus your competitors? Market
    > the benefits of you and your studio..
    >
    > 2. Craigs list may not be the best media to reach your customers. The
    > first thing you should do is to determine who your target customers
    > are (not just brides to be). Then, determine the best way to reach
    > those customers.
    >
    > Again, you may want to seek some help to market your business. One
    > source I could recommend is SCORE. SCORE provides free counseling to
    > small businesses. They are located nationwide and all counseling is
    > free. You may want to check out their web site: www.score.org to
    > locate a chapter near you or, to address your questions to them via
    > e-mail. Good luck and keep trying!

    Thanks, I found that a very helpful and positive critique. I was
    thinking about re-doing the site because I don't have the flash files,
    and I would like to change things, more often. I like my more recent
    stuff, a lot more. I'm glad some of you found my stuff a little off
    center. I cant stand those campy shots that you see over and over. I
    do them, but I don't showcase them too much. There is a fine balance,
    some of the highest paid wedding photographers have a distinctive style
    that makes them unique, and I would like to find my own niche. And the
    comment about the rock she was on looking like a dinosaur turd, that
    took the cake.
    Chris, Aug 3, 2006