webvpn and thin clients

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dt1649651@yahoo.com, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am trying SSL VPN ( WebVPN ) as a solution for my customers who need
    access to the company apps when they are at some Internet kiosks( they
    have no notebooks with them )

    I read the SSL VPN on Cisco website and from what I understand ( I may
    be wrong as I often am ), I can use the web browser to access my SSH
    server or to check emails from some kind of "built-in" applets that
    play the role of an SSH terminal emulater or email client. ( The reason
    I think that way is because of the phrase "no manual software
    deployment" and "those users may also need secure access from other
    remote endpoints, such as Internet kiosks ...)

    Is that right ?

    I make some tests on the router 2811 with IOS 12.4.1 in order to SSH to
    my internal Linux server. After I log into the https://myrouter I can
    go to the window Application Access with the list of something like
    SSH 127.0.0.1:30000 192.168.249.17:22 ....

    but I do not see any applet to help me to access the server.

    I can open a terminal emulator to the 127.0.0.1:30000 to acess to my
    Linux server, but that's not what I am trying to do. When I am at a
    Internet Cafe's PC, I do not have a SSH terminal emulator.

    Am I going the wrong way ? Or can I only do that with a Concentrator,
    not a router ? Or do I miss something on my router configuration ?

    Thanks for your advice,

    DT

    , Jun 6, 2005

  2. <> wrote:

    > I read the SSL VPN on Cisco website and from what I understand ( I may
    > be wrong as I often am ), I can use the web browser to access my SSH
    > server or to check emails from some kind of "built-in" applets that
    > play the role of an SSH terminal emulater or email client. ( The reason
    > I think that way is because of the phrase "no manual software
    > deployment" and "those users may also need secure access from other
    > remote endpoints, such as Internet kiosks ...)
    >
    > Is that right ?

    Not quite, people will be able to get to web-based resources automatically,
    and it's possible to do things like set up a webmail server for email
    access, but anything that normally requires a standalong client, still
    needs a client.

    > I make some tests on the router 2811 with IOS 12.4.1 in order to SSH to
    > my internal Linux server. After I log into the https://myrouter I can
    > go to the window Application Access with the list of something like
    > SSH 127.0.0.1:30000 192.168.249.17:22 ....
    >
    > but I do not see any applet to help me to access the server.
    >
    > I can open a terminal emulator to the 127.0.0.1:30000 to acess to my
    > Linux server, but that's not what I am trying to do. When I am at a
    > Internet Cafe's PC, I do not have a SSH terminal emulator.

    If you can download and run putty , that might work, it's a single file.
    Or if the web browser has a working Java implementation you can use
    MindTerm: http://www.oit.duke.edu/sa/security/ssh.html

    > Am I going the wrong way ? Or can I only do that with a Concentrator,
    > not a router ? Or do I miss something on my router configuration ?

    Router configuration is fine, but you will need some kind of client for ssh.
    --
    - Eric Sorenson - N37 17.255 W121 55.738 - http://eric.explosive.net -
    - Personal colo with a professional touch - http://www.explosive.net -

    Eric Sorenson, Jun 14, 2005