Websites for the non technical

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JJ Williams, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. JJ Williams

    JJ Williams Guest

    I've been asked to give some advice to a Parish who want to build a website.
    They'll be wanting to update content fairly frequently (on a weekly basis)
    and it would be sensible to assume that there won't be anyone available to
    do any kind of tech support in the long term although someone (not atheistic
    old me I hope) could set up a few pages for them to get started.

    The ideal situation would be for them to use some kind of browser based
    content management so that anyone with a browser and a password could add
    content (and maybe some charming animated gifs of flickering candles) to the
    site as required.

    I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    JJ Williams, Oct 24, 2003

  2. JJ Williams

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <bnag7g$cjd$>,
    "JJ Williams" <> wrote:

    > I've been asked to give some advice to a Parish who want to build a website.
    > They'll be wanting to update content fairly frequently (on a weekly basis)
    > and it would be sensible to assume that there won't be anyone available to
    > do any kind of tech support in the long term although someone (not atheistic
    > old me I hope) could set up a few pages for them to get started.
    >
    > The ideal situation would be for them to use some kind of browser based
    > content management so that anyone with a browser and a password could add
    > content (and maybe some charming animated gifs of flickering candles) to the
    > site as required.
    >
    > I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    > experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    > so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    > computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    > much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    > install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    > They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    Most of my experience with CMSes has been with PHP based ones so what I
    type here will be a bit biased towards that platform.

    There are the more traditional CMSes like PHP-Nuke and PostNuke but they
    may come across as a little too technical for the Parish. One I highly
    recommend is Mambo, its absolutely fantastic, easy, and allows the site
    maintainer a lot of control/freedom. Its open-source which should be
    right inside their budget. Check it out atleast:
    http://www.mamboserver.com/

    But the solutions above are still aimed at sites with a lot of pages or
    the potential to become quite large. If they only want a couple of pages
    and they have a computer running Win98 or later, go for one of those
    ActiveX CMSes which would let them edit their pages just using their
    browser. It has the benefit of looking a lot like Word or any desktop
    publishing program.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 24, 2003

  3. JJ Williams

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bnag7g$cjd$>,
    says...
    > I've been asked to give some advice to a Parish who want to build a website.
    > They'll be wanting to update content fairly frequently (on a weekly basis)
    > and it would be sensible to assume that there won't be anyone available to
    > do any kind of tech support in the long term although someone (not atheistic
    > old me I hope) could set up a few pages for them to get started.
    >
    > The ideal situation would be for them to use some kind of browser based
    > content management so that anyone with a browser and a password could add
    > content (and maybe some charming animated gifs of flickering candles) to the
    > site as required.
    >
    > I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    > experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    > so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    > computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    > much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    > install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    > They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    madnoxie's mentioned a few PHP ones - an excellent .NET one is
    DotNetNuke..
    www.dotnetnuke.com

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 25, 2003
  4. On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:43:06 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:

    >> I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    >> experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    >> so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    >> computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    >> much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    >> install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    >> They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    >madnoxie's mentioned a few PHP ones - an excellent .NET one is
    >DotNetNuke..
    >www.dotnetnuke.com

    So excellent that, if you visit the site in Opera, it redirects the
    wrong way and takes you to a broken script page.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 25, 2003
  5. JJ Williams

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:43:06 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    > >> experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    > >> so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    > >> computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    > >> much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    > >> install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    > >> They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    > >madnoxie's mentioned a few PHP ones - an excellent .NET one is
    > >DotNetNuke..
    > >www.dotnetnuke.com

    > So excellent that, if you visit the site in Opera, it redirects the
    > wrong way and takes you to a broken script page.

    I use Netcaptor - which id's itself as a Mozilla browser - works just
    fine.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 26, 2003
  6. JJ Williams

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:59:29 +1300, "Kristofer Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:43:06 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    >>> experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    >>> so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    >>> computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    >>> much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    >>> install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    >>> They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    >>madnoxie's mentioned a few PHP ones - an excellent .NET one is
    >>DotNetNuke..
    >>www.dotnetnuke.com

    >So excellent that, if you visit the site in Opera, it redirects the
    >wrong way and takes you to a broken script page.

    Mmm? Can you expand on that. It seems OK in Opera 7.11.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Oct 26, 2003
  7. JJ Williams

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" wrote
    > >www.dotnetnuke.com

    > So excellent that, if you visit the site in Opera, it redirects the
    > wrong way and takes you to a broken script page.

    <joke> well if you used a real browser it would work fine</joke>
    T.N.O., Oct 26, 2003
  8. On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:59:29 +1300, "Kristofer Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:43:06 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I know there are such systems - I've had a look at some - but has anyone any
    >>> experience of them? Do you have any recommendations? It has to be dead easy
    >>> so that, if the resident 'expert' leaves, someone else with very little
    >>> computer literacy can step into their place. And because there may not be
    >>> much continuity of the people doing it, it would help if they don't have to
    >>> install anything special locally. It also has to be reasonably inexpensive.
    >>> They don't mind paying reasonable fees for hosting/domain registration etc.

    >>madnoxie's mentioned a few PHP ones - an excellent .NET one is
    >>DotNetNuke..
    >>www.dotnetnuke.com

    >So excellent that, if you visit the site in Opera, it redirects the
    >wrong way and takes you to a broken script page.

    I must clarify that I have Opera set to identify as itself; many
    versions of Opera (on Windows, at least) are set to identify as
    Internet Explorer, to prevent special IE sites from treating opera
    specially. Seems like that's what this site does, by me selecting
    opera to identify as itself.

    When selecting Opera to identify as IE, the site works fine.

    No other sites are affected.

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 26, 2003
  9. JJ Williams

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:59:29 +1300, "Kristofer Clayton"
    > <> wrote:

    > >>madnoxie's mentioned a few PHP ones - an excellent .NET one is
    > >>DotNetNuke..
    > >>www.dotnetnuke.com

    > >So excellent that, if you visit the site in Opera, it redirects the
    > >wrong way and takes you to a broken script page.

    > I must clarify that I have Opera set to identify as itself; many
    > versions of Opera (on Windows, at least) are set to identify as
    > Internet Explorer, to prevent special IE sites from treating opera
    > specially. Seems like that's what this site does, by me selecting
    > opera to identify as itself.

    Perhaps the main reason for this is that if your browser id's itself as
    IE compatable then support for Iframes is 'given'. (There maybe other
    reasons)

    ie the code is *meant* to do this to degrade nicely depending on browser
    type. Hopefully the open source team working on DotNetNuke will correct
    this soon and support Opera.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 26, 2003