    have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?

    TIA

    Dan
    Dan, Sep 3, 2007

  2. Dan wrote:
    > Using FF 1.5.1.12. I'm looking at an online database of antique auction
    > results through my local library's homepage. I have the "mouse gestures"
    > extension, one of which I use to page back. Trying this on the page in
    > question, I get an error "Sorry, you don't have permission to right click".
    > Excuse me? I don't have "PERMISSION"?!? I've seen this occasionally on
    > other web sites, I assume this is some java script thing to prevent image
    > saving. That's not what I was doing, and not that there are ways around
    > that even if I were, but the notion that a page can control what I/my
    > browser has "permission" to do rubs me the wrong way. Is there any way to
    > have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    some websites have the power to disable right clicking.
    They're afraid you might steal their pics and their web
    content. However, in Firefox, you have the option to
    disable that function. Sometimes it works, other times it
    doesn't.

    So, I don't remember the javascript settings are in FF 1.5x,
    but it could be something like [for FF 2.x] Tools, Options,
    Content, click on the Advanced button to Javascript.
    Uncheck the option for "Disable or replace context menus."
    Like I said, I don't know where exactly the Javascript
    options are, but look around for them.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 3, 2007

  3. Dan

    Doug G Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Using FF 1.5.1.12. I'm looking at an online database of antique auction
    > results through my local library's homepage. I have the "mouse gestures"
    > extension, one of which I use to page back. Trying this on the page in
    > question, I get an error "Sorry, you don't have permission to right click".
    > Excuse me? I don't have "PERMISSION"?!? I've seen this occasionally on
    > other web sites, I assume this is some java script thing to prevent image
    > saving. That's not what I was doing, and not that there are ways around
    > that even if I were, but the notion that a page can control what I/my
    > browser has "permission" to do rubs me the wrong way. Is there any way to
    > have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    Try the "restore context menu" bookmarklet from
    https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    Doug G, Sep 3, 2007
  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Using FF 1.5.1.12. I'm looking at an online database of antique auction
    >> results through my local library's homepage. I have the "mouse gestures"
    >> extension, one of which I use to page back. Trying this on the page in
    >> question, I get an error "Sorry, you don't have permission to right
    >> click". Excuse me? I don't have "PERMISSION"?!? I've seen this
    >> occasionally on other web sites, I assume this is some java script thing
    >> to prevent image saving. That's not what I was doing, and not that there
    >> are ways around that even if I were, but the notion that a page can
    >> control what I/my browser has "permission" to do rubs me the wrong way.
    >> Is there any way to have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Try the "restore context menu" bookmarklet from
    > https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

    Doug & Peter - Thanks for the replies, I'll check out your recommendations.

    Dan
    Dan, Sep 4, 2007
  5. Dan

    Justin Guest

    Dan wrote on [Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:32:54 -0700]:
    > Using FF 1.5.1.12. I'm looking at an online database of antique auction
    > results through my local library's homepage. I have the "mouse gestures"
    > extension, one of which I use to page back. Trying this on the page in
    > question, I get an error "Sorry, you don't have permission to right click".
    > Excuse me? I don't have "PERMISSION"?!? I've seen this occasionally on
    > other web sites, I assume this is some java script thing to prevent image
    > saving. That's not what I was doing, and not that there are ways around
    > that even if I were, but the notion that a page can control what I/my
    > browser has "permission" to do rubs me the wrong way. Is there any way to
    > have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?

    Disabling right click is retarded. If a user wants an image all the need
    to do is view the source. Duh
    Justin, Sep 5, 2007
  6. Dan

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:14:02 -0500, in message <2go.com>,
    Justin wrote:

    > Dan wrote on [Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:32:54 -0700]:
    > > Using FF 1.5.1.12. I'm looking at an online database of antique auction
    > > results through my local library's homepage. I have the "mouse gestures"
    > > extension, one of which I use to page back. Trying this on the page in
    > > question, I get an error "Sorry, you don't have permission to right click".
    > > Excuse me? I don't have "PERMISSION"?!? I've seen this occasionally on
    > > other web sites, I assume this is some java script thing to prevent image
    > > saving. That's not what I was doing, and not that there are ways around
    > > that even if I were, but the notion that a page can control what I/my
    > > browser has "permission" to do rubs me the wrong way. Is there any way to
    > > have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?

    > Disabling right click is retarded. If a user wants an image all the need
    > to do is view the source. Duh

    The image URL may be generated on the fly by javascript or xslt,
    and not hard-coded in the page source. The usual way of viewing
    the source, "View -> Page Source", will not reveal the image in
    cases like these.

    It isn't clear whether you have considered this. If you have,
    your answer should describe "view the source" a little better.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Sep 5, 2007
  7. On 2007-09-04, Justin <> wrote:

    > Disabling right click is retarded. If a user wants an image all the need
    > to do is view the source. Duh

    Somethimes the image source is obfuscated by using javascript to
    generate the URL in response to a click.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Sep 5, 2007
  8. Dan

    Crush Evil Guest

    On Sep 2, 7:32 pm, "Dan" <> wrote:
    > Using FF 1.5.1.12.

    luddite!

    > question, I get an error "Sorry, you don't have permission to right click".

    ah, hubris, good stuff.

    That webmaster is trying to relate "I want to put my media on display
    to the public, and though I might not realize the image you see is
    currently stored on your machine's cache I would prefer you not
    download my image to view in a way other than I intend"

    NoScript.net -- why aren't you running it??

    > Excuse me? I don't have "PERMISSION"?!? I've seen this occasionally on

    GreaseMonkey: take back your rights. UserScripts.org has several
    solutions to your plight.

    > that even if I were, but the notion that a page can control what I/my

    edit your JS preferences.

    > have the browser NOT conform to such limitations?

    and/or add
    Controle de Scripts by Fernando Pereira Silveira

    God bless questioners
    Crush Evil, Sep 25, 2007
  9. Dan

    Chris Davies Guest

    John Thompson <2.dhs.org> wrote:
    > Somethimes the image source is obfuscated by using javascript to
    > generate the URL in response to a click.

    So look at web proxy logs - or use the live http headers extension. None
    of this is difficult, and it simply shows how easy it is to bypass
    attempts to stop image downloading.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 12, 2007
  10. On 2007-10-12, Chris Davies <> wrote:

    > John Thompson <2.dhs.org> wrote:
    >> Somethimes the image source is obfuscated by using javascript to
    >> generate the URL in response to a click.

    > So look at web proxy logs - or use the live http headers extension. None
    > of this is difficult, and it simply shows how easy it is to bypass
    > attempts to stop image downloading.

    Agr4eed, but it's an extra step many people do not know to use. One can
    simply use a javascript bookmarklet:

    http://javascript.about.com/library/blright.htm

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Oct 13, 2007
  11. John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-10-12, Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Thompson <2.dhs.org> wrote:
    >>> Somethimes the image source is obfuscated by using javascript to
    >>> generate the URL in response to a click.

    >> So look at web proxy logs - or use the live http headers extension. None
    >> of this is difficult, and it simply shows how easy it is to bypass
    >> attempts to stop image downloading.

    > Agr4eed, but it's an extra step many people do not know to use. One can
    > simply use a javascript bookmarklet:
    >
    > http://javascript.about.com/library/blright.htm

    but you don't need a bookmarklet to do that. Just click on
    Tools, Options, Content, and make sure that javascript is
    checked, then click on the advanced button for it and you
    want to make sure that "Disable or replace context menus" is
    unchecked.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 13, 2007