Website volunteers needed

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mike, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Good evening all..
    I have recently opened up a new website for the purpose of consolidating
    computing related information. The goal of the website is to collect as
    much information as possible about computing. This is a non profit site
    right now,
    and as it stands right now, the site is just a shell. I have broken it
    down into categories relevant to computing knowledge, and would very
    much
    like to have a team of fellow information hogs join me in my effort to
    help
    others learn, and solve their computing problems. I'm a married guy,
    and
    could never do this alone. My vision is to have 1 to 3 people in charge
    of
    each category. If anyone is interested in sharing my goal in providing
    deep source of information to the computing world, please email me, and
    let
    me know...(remove the IDONTTHINKSO from my addy.) This is in no way an
    attempt to reinvent the wheel to waste time. I have no intention of
    copying
    other sites just so I can say I have content. I have experienced many
    computing issues which seemingly had no representation/solution online
    anywhere. So, my initial plan is to use those issues as the basis for
    my
    contributions. I have lurked, and contributed here for some time in
    minor
    capacities, but have come to appreciate the desire so many of you have
    share what you have learned about computing. So take a look at my site,
    www.pcblizzard.com and see if you could see yourself taking charge of
    any
    of the categories I have available. Also, if you have an area of
    expertise
    not currently indicated on the site, adding a section for you would be
    my
    pleasure. As it stands right now, i'm all alone here with this site,
    and
    to be honest, I am not capable of providing what my vision is alone.
    The
    site is backed by PHP/MYSQL, and database accomodations will be made to
    anyone who desires to have a database as part of their work...not that
    it
    means much, but anyone who joins me gets an email address, if desired.
    Finally, the site has multiple mailing lists, and hopefully, I can
    manage
    to gather a little community of information lovers to help build this
    site
    up to what it could be...

    Thanks for reading, and sorry about the length......

    I enjoy helping people with their computing problems, and figured there
    are probably others out there like me...
    the site is paid for, and it is just waiting to be filled out with
    useful info.

    Let me know if you would like to help this effort..

    Mike C
    Mike, Oct 27, 2003

  2. "Mike" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > The
    > site is backed by PHP/MYSQL, and database accomodations will be made to
    > anyone who desires to have a database as part of their work...not that
    > it
    > means much, but anyone who joins me gets an email address, if desired.
    > Finally, the site has multiple mailing lists, and hopefully, I can
    > manage
    > to gather a little community of information lovers to help build this
    > site
    > up to what it could be...
    >
    > Thanks for reading, and sorry about the length......
    >
    > I enjoy helping people with their computing problems, and figured there
    > are probably others out there like me...
    > the site is paid for, and it is just waiting to be filled out with
    > useful info.
    >
    > Let me know if you would like to help this effort..

    I think google beat you to it.

    --
    Anvil
    1) Cross between an angel and the devil.
    Kingbarry2000, Oct 27, 2003

  3. I think google beat you to it.

    Kingbarry2000, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Mike

    Robert Salt Guest

    Hi, my name is Bob Salt, I've built a few PC's and flashed the odd bios.
    I've installed all sorts of software, games and even broadband. If I can
    help in any way please ask, I point out that due to working strange shifts I
    have little time but make that up with enthusiasm...... Bob
    Robert Salt, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Mike

    Willy Guest

    Not necessarily so....
    Don't get me wrong, Google is a fantastic directory. I rely on it all
    the time.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but Goggle and Yahoo! rely on submissions. There
    is still plenty of 'information pollution' and 'noise' out there.
    As such, we do need to have more of people like Mike to help sort out
    good, quality sites of a particular topic or theme.
    It sure is helpful.

    Willy <http://www.geocities.com/fergie8882003/makingmoneyonweb.html>

    Willy, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Mike

    Tony Guest

    I might be bale to help. I have the following (useless)
    certifications:
    CNA
    A+
    NET+

    Also, I have messed around with all sorts of OS's and programs.
    realistically, I might be more of a help in the "humor" section.
    Tony, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Mike

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:,
    Willy <> wrote these words:

    | Not necessarily so....
    | Don't get me wrong, Google is a fantastic directory. I rely on it all
    | the time.
    |
    | Correct me if I'm wrong but Goggle and Yahoo! rely on submissions.
    | There is still plenty of 'information pollution' and 'noise' out
    | there.
    | As such, we do need to have more of people like Mike to help sort out
    | good, quality sites of a particular topic or theme.
    | It sure is helpful.

    Yes, you are wrong. See
    http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2168031

    Cut and pasted
    "Crawler-based search engines, such as Google, create their listings
    automatically. They "crawl" or "spider" the web, then people search
    through what they have found.

    If you change your web pages, crawler-based search engines eventually
    find these changes, and that can affect how you are listed. Page titles,
    body copy and other elements all play a role."

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Oct 29, 2003