    trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.

    Thanks
    Roman

    divoch, Jul 24, 2007

  2. divoch

    N Guest

    www.flickr.com

    Do you want the photos to be public or private?

    N, Jul 25, 2007

  3. divoch

    Guest

    On Jul 24, 3:48 pm, "divoch" <> wrote:
    > I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
    > share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people on
    > the same
    > trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.

    The only site I'm aware of that allows full resolution downloads is
    phanfare.com. If anyone is aware of others that are cheaper (phanfare
    is ~$50 per year) that do a good job with a nice user interface,
    please chime in.

    I'm not sure phanfare will meet your needs though, since you probably
    want all the people in the group to be able to upload to the same
    account and I don't think phanfare supports that. On the other hand,
    if each person gets their own account, you can get the cost down to
    half the usual (for the first two years) since they have a deal where
    getting a friend to sign up gets you a free year. The algorithm isn't
    too hard to figure out. Person n gets person n+1 to sign up. That way,
    all but the last person get two years for the price of one. Of course,
    if these people are traveling to see the same sites, $50 a year
    shouldn't be a big deal.

    , Jul 25, 2007
  4. divoch

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "divoch" <> writes:

    > I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
    > share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of
    > people on the same
    > trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.

    Mine is the best for photos that tell a chronological story, like your
    trip. It can be free with ads, or you can pay to keep it ad-free. It's
    easy to make a group site. It's easy to cross-post your photos between
    the group site and personal sites. If you want to keep people
    up-to-date via email it has the absolute best interface.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/
    Amazingly simple photo sharing

    Bruce Lewis, Jul 25, 2007
  5. divoch

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:48:20 +0000, divoch wrote:

    > I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
    > share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people on
    > the same
    > trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    Why not set up your own web site? You can host commercially, for example,
    at netfirms.com for $5/month - plenty of bandwidth and storage space -
    then you can set up whatever you want.

    ray, Jul 25, 2007
  6. divoch

    divoch Guest

    Private
    Roman

    divoch, Jul 25, 2007
  7. divoch

    Hamid Guest

    Roman, we just launched a site for just that:

    http://www.photodrop.com

    It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

    Hamid

    Hamid, Jul 25, 2007
  8. divoch

    N Guest

    That makes it easy. Flickr handles it well.

    N, Jul 26, 2007
  9. divoch

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Hamid <> writes:

    > Roman, we just launched a site for just that:
    > http://www.photodrop.com
    > It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

    If it's "just for that" regarding the original poster's question, your
    web site really doesn't make it clear. Your site reads as if it's for
    individuals' photos, not a place to pool photos from a group. Also, a
    diverse group of people from around the globe might not all be running
    Microsoft Windows, and I think your "easiest of the bunch" claim relies
    on people (1) running Windows and (2) being willing to install the
    DropZone Client.

    Bruce Lewis, Jul 26, 2007
  10. divoch

    Hamid Guest

    On Jul 25, 8:41 pm, Bruce Lewis <> wrote:
    > Hamid <> writes:
    > > Roman, we just launched a site for just that:
    > >http://www.photodrop.com
    > > It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

    > If it's "just for that" regarding the original poster's question, your
    > web site really doesn't make it clear. Your site reads as if it's for
    > individuals' photos, not a place to pool photos from a group. Also, a
    > diverse group of people from around the globe might not all be running
    > Microsoft Windows, and I think your "easiest of the bunch" claim relies
    > on people (1) running Windows and (2) being willing to install the
    > DropZone Client.

    Bruce, good points. But even if you're not running Windows or install
    the DropZone client, you can upload 12 pics at a time without even
    having an account. That's sort of what makes it easier than the rest.

    Hamid, Jul 26, 2007
  11. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Hamid" <> wrote in message
    > Roman, we just launched a site for just that:
    >
    > http://www.photodrop.com
    >
    > It's the easiest of the bunch to use.
    >
    > Hamid
    >
    > On Jul 24, 3:48 pm, "divoch" <> wrote:
    >> I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
    >> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people
    >> on
    >> the same
    >> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Roman

    Looks a possibility. Are the uploaded photos kept private by default or do I
    need to select an advanced option Make this album private? And if I select
    this option what does it mean exactly? I would like to share it with those
    who were on the same trip but no one else.
    What differences there are in what I can or cannot do by having or not
    having an account and installing or not installing DropZone client ?

    Thanks
    Roman

    Roman

    divoch, Jul 26, 2007
  12. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "N" <> wrote in message
    > That makes it easy. Flickr handles it well.

    I shall check it out
    Thanks
    Roman

    divoch, Jul 26, 2007
  13. divoch

    N Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > "N" <> wrote in message
    >> That makes it easy. Flickr handles it well.
    >>

    > I shall check it out
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    I'm happy to enumerate some steps for you if you want.

    N, Jul 27, 2007
  14. divoch

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 27, 2007
  15. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:48:20 +0000, divoch wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
    >> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people
    >> on
    >> the same
    >> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Roman

    > Why not set up your own web site? You can host commercially, for example,
    > at netfirms.com for $5/month - plenty of bandwidth and storage space -
    > then you can set up whatever you want.

    That is certainly a good way but I do not have right now knowledge how to
    set up my own site
    Roman

    divoch, Jul 29, 2007
  16. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Hamid" <> wrote in message
    > Roman, we just launched a site for just that:
    >
    > http://www.photodrop.com
    >
    > It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

    Does it allow full resolution downloads?
    Roman

    divoch, Jul 29, 2007
  17. divoch

    divoch Guest

    divoch, Jul 29, 2007
  18. divoch

    N Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > "N" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "N" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I shall check it out
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Roman

    >> I'm happy to enumerate some steps for you if you want.

    > Does it allow full resolution downloads?
    > Roman

    It's up to the user how they set their preferences.

    Unpaid accounts have a 100MB per month upload limit and the last 200 of
    their photos will be accessible. Also free accounts have a size limit on
    the files displayed/

    Paid accounts have no such limits.

    For your purpose, you would set up a private group and invite each of the
    participants to join the group. Then you all would upload your images and
    mark them as private and add them to the private group. All members of the
    group would then be able to view all the photos in the group.

    You could also set up one generic paid account and let all the participants
    use that account. I'd suggest not making that account an admin of the
    private group, just an ordinary group member. Anyone using that account
    should title their photos with their name and the subject.

    N, Jul 29, 2007
  19. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "N" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm happy to enumerate some steps for you if you want.

    >> Does it allow full resolution downloads?
    >> Roman

    > It's up to the user how they set their preferences.
    >
    > Unpaid accounts have a 100MB per month upload limit and the last 200 of
    > their photos will be accessible. Also free accounts have a size limit on
    > the files displayed/
    >
    > Paid accounts have no such limits.
    >
    > For your purpose, you would set up a private group and invite each of the
    > participants to join the group. Then you all would upload your images and
    > mark them as private and add them to the private group. All members of
    > the group would then be able to view all the photos in the group.
    >
    > You could also set up one generic paid account and let all the
    > participants use that account. I'd suggest not making that account an
    > admin of the private group, just an ordinary group member. Anyone using
    > that account should title their photos with their name and the subject.

    The idea was that all could preview but also download at original resolution
    those photos they would like to add to their private collections on their
    PC or wherever. It seems that the full resolution download would not be
    available with the free account and possibly not with paid one either. That
    is
    the case with all other such websites I came across.
    Roman

    divoch, Jul 29, 2007
  20. divoch

    N Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > The idea was that all could preview but also download at original
    > resolution
    > those photos they would like to add to their private collections on their
    > PC or wherever. It seems that the full resolution download would not be
    > available with the free account and possibly not with paid one either.
    > That is
    > the case with all other such websites I came across.
    > Roman

    I'd suggest if you don't make a decision soon the interest will wane and
    there'll be no need to do it.

    N, Jul 30, 2007