Website remembered passwords

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would like
    to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 10, 2006

  2. To disable password saving in Internet Explorer on Windows:
    * Launch Internet Explorer.
    * Select Tools>Internet Options>Content.
    * Under Personal information, click on AutoComplete.
    * To stop password saving, uncheck "User names and passwords on forms".
    * To clear all existing saved usernames and passwords, click on Clear
    Passwords, then click OK in the warning dialog box.

    Note: You may have web sites for which you wish to save the username and
    password, but you do not want Internet Explorer to prompt you on any future
    sites. In this case, in the AutoComplete Settings box, leave "User names and
    passwords on forms" checked, but uncheck "Prompt me to save passwords".
    http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=6707
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 10, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    In IE tools/internet options/content/autocomplete You can clear passwords
    there

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 10, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    Rick Guest

    I don't have a solution to your question, but I think it is a very good
    question. I can find the info to delete all saved passwords, but not
    individual ones.

    I hope someone is able to provide a solution.

    Rick, Jan 10, 2006
  6. Rick,
    That's actually what I wanted to do. But I cleared all passwords and will
    re-enter the ones I want to keep. I was able to remove individual passwords
    in xp pro but can't remember how I did it. I think I had to do it in the
    registry.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 10, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you delete the ID, it will delete the password associated with it, after
    asking. Then you can re-add and tell it not to save the password.

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2006
  8. Hello John,
    When I go to the web page and select the ID, then delete it, I don't receive
    any prompts asking what I want to do. When I close the page and go back to it
    the ID and password is still there. Am I doing it wrong?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 10, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When you go to the id field, with the field blank, hit the page down key,
    highlight the id to delete, when you hit the delete key it should say that
    Windows has a password stored for this id, do you want to delete the id and
    password. You may have to restore the autocomplete. Also, didn't you say
    that you had already deleted all your passwords.

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    Rick Guest

    This should get you in the right area to delete all passwords:

    Subject: Windows IE 6/5.5 - Deleting Saved Passwords

    Deleting Internet Explorer Saved Passwords

    It can be insecure for Internet Explorer to save your passwords.

    To delete (or change) stored passwords...

    Internet Explorer versions 5.5 and 6.0

    1. click on the 'Tools' menu, then 'Internet Options' option.
    2. click on the 'Content' tab.
    3. click on the 'AutoComplete' button - see new dialog.
    4. click on the 'Clear Passwords' option.
    Optionally, to stop this Internet Explorer from saving passwords again
    you can:
    - ensure the 'Prompt me to save passwords' is NOT selected.
    5. click OK then click OK again.

    Rick, Jan 10, 2006
  11. Yes, I did do the complete delete from the tools menu. What I actually wanted
    to do was delete individual ID/Passwords. Now I know how thanks to your
    guidance again. I was actually "selecting" instead of "highlighting" before.
    That's why it didn't work. Thanks again for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 10, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are welcome.

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    VWWall Guest

    Lefty wrote:
    > Rick,
    > That's actually what I wanted to do. But I cleared all passwords and will
    > re-enter the ones I want to keep. I was able to remove individual passwords
    > in xp pro but can't remember how I did it. I think I had to do it in the
    > registry.

    Just install Firefox. It's easy to manage passwords with Firefox.

    VWWall, Jan 11, 2006
  14. Thank you Andre for the excellent instructions.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 11, 2006