Website problems in IE and Firefox.

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by jerry404@notvalid.com, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'm running Win98se. I have both the latest ver of Firefox and IE6.
    If I go to this particular website:
    http://www.thunderguys.be
    I constantly get error messages when I click on the individual
    pictures. I'm referring to this:
    First you get the intro. (which can be skipped).
    Then it brings up a list (on the right), where there is Zorro the
    Zebra, Liberty Horses, Bikes and Horses, etc. Click on one of them,
    at the bottom is a sliding bar where individual pictures can be
    selected. Everytime I click on one of them, I get an error message
    which tells me that the script is running real slow and if I leave it
    run, my computer may stop responding. If I select YES (to stop the
    script), I do not get to see the "still" picture. If I select NO, the
    picture shows just fine in IE, but Firefox just keeps giving me that
    error message over and over and refuses to ever show me the picture.

    I think their website is defective, or has some sort of flaw. Or
    maybe it's just because I am running Win98, or because I am on dialup.

    Either way, if I keep clicking "NO" on that error message, the
    pictures will show in IE6, but Firefox just gives up and will not show
    the pictures.

    Can anyone figure out what's going on with this site?

    I should mention the entire site is FLASH driven (which I find
    annoying, especially being on a dialup connection), but I love trick
    horse riding so I've struggled thru all the errors to look at the
    pictures. I was lead to their site after watching one of their videos
    on Youtube.

    Could it be that these foreign sites use some special html code, or
    what?

    By the way, where are .BE sites from anyhow. I still have yet to
    figure out what country they are from. Belgium is all I can figure?
    Anyone know?

    Thanks

    , Feb 14, 2008

  2. MEB Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | I'm running Win98se. I have both the latest ver of Firefox and IE6.
    | If I go to this particular website:
    | http://www.thunderguys.be
    | I constantly get error messages when I click on the individual
    | pictures. I'm referring to this:
    | First you get the intro. (which can be skipped).
    | Then it brings up a list (on the right), where there is Zorro the
    | Zebra, Liberty Horses, Bikes and Horses, etc. Click on one of them,
    | at the bottom is a sliding bar where individual pictures can be
    | selected. Everytime I click on one of them, I get an error message
    | which tells me that the script is running real slow and if I leave it
    | run, my computer may stop responding. If I select YES (to stop the
    | script), I do not get to see the "still" picture. If I select NO, the
    | picture shows just fine in IE, but Firefox just keeps giving me that
    | error message over and over and refuses to ever show me the picture.
    |
    | I think their website is defective, or has some sort of flaw. Or
    | maybe it's just because I am running Win98, or because I am on dialup.
    |
    | Either way, if I keep clicking "NO" on that error message, the
    | pictures will show in IE6, but Firefox just gives up and will not show
    | the pictures.
    |
    | Can anyone figure out what's going on with this site?
    |
    | I should mention the entire site is FLASH driven (which I find
    | annoying, especially being on a dialup connection), but I love trick
    | horse riding so I've struggled thru all the errors to look at the
    | pictures. I was lead to their site after watching one of their videos
    | on Youtube.
    |
    | Could it be that these foreign sites use some special html code, or
    | what?
    |
    | By the way, where are .BE sites from anyhow. I still have yet to
    | figure out what country they are from. Belgium is all I can figure?
    | Anyone know?
    |
    | Thanks

    Country codes
    http://www.iana.org/root-whois/index.html

    ..be is Belgium

    Two issues and you keyed upon both:

    Flash based - flash objects can be overly large and aren't the best format
    for video presentations. Another factor is the potential to be mis-used as
    carriers for questionable coding. Many sites are now using the newer
    versions of Flash, which are not {fully} supported in the older Flash for 9X

    Phone Line - phone connections are naturally slow and when attempting to
    view things like Movies, Flash packages, streaming video, and some of the
    newer aspects of the Internet, even attempting to make the object completely
    download prior to viewing/running may cause errors or degradation of the
    quality.

    Additional factors would be CPU and motherboard speed, in addition to video
    GPU capabilities.

    --

    MEB
    http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com

    MEB, Feb 14, 2008

  3. wrote:
    > I'm running Win98se. I have both the latest ver of Firefox and IE6.
    > If I go to this particular website:
    > http://www.thunderguys.be
    > I constantly get error messages when I click on the individual
    > pictures. I'm referring to this:
    > First you get the intro. (which can be skipped).
    > Then it brings up a list (on the right), where there is Zorro the
    > Zebra, Liberty Horses, Bikes and Horses, etc. Click on one of them,
    > at the bottom is a sliding bar where individual pictures can be
    > selected. Everytime I click on one of them, I get an error message
    > which tells me that the script is running real slow and if I leave it
    > run, my computer may stop responding. If I select YES (to stop the
    > script), I do not get to see the "still" picture. If I select NO, the
    > picture shows just fine in IE, but Firefox just keeps giving me that
    > error message over and over and refuses to ever show me the picture.
    >
    > I think their website is defective, or has some sort of flaw. Or
    > maybe it's just because I am running Win98, or because I am on dialup.
    >
    > Either way, if I keep clicking "NO" on that error message, the
    > pictures will show in IE6, but Firefox just gives up and will not show
    > the pictures.
    >
    > Can anyone figure out what's going on with this site?
    >
    > I should mention the entire site is FLASH driven (which I find
    > annoying, especially being on a dialup connection), but I love trick
    > horse riding so I've struggled thru all the errors to look at the
    > pictures. I was lead to their site after watching one of their videos
    > on Youtube.
    >
    > Could it be that these foreign sites use some special html code, or
    > what?
    >
    > By the way, where are .BE sites from anyhow. I still have yet to
    > figure out what country they are from. Belgium is all I can figure?
    > Anyone know?
    >
    > Thanks

    make sure you have flash for Firefox installed and not just
    IE. I think the last version for win98 was
    install_flash_player 9.0.115.0.exe and the current versions
    won't work.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 14, 2008
  4. MEB hit on the main issues. Phone lines you can't do much about. But have
    you been to www.adobe.com and updated your Flash as much as possible? As MEB
    noted, the newer versions don't work on Windows 9x systems, and if the
    Thunderguys site is using new Flash technologies that the old players won't
    handle, you're SOL in that respect.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Feb 14, 2008
  5. A lot of websites won't work at all under Win 9X, due to limitations of IE6
    (and the fact that web hotshots are writing for IE7, possibly because they
    lack the skills or patience to make their stuff 'universal'). The only way
    round this problem is an upgrade to XP or Vista - and if you have to go that
    far, get that as part of a cheapo PC or laptop deal. Also - dial-up is now a
    dead dog except for emergencies: PCs and laptops can't keep up-to-date at
    all with patches on a slow connection, so if you have to change the hardware
    and software, treat yourself to a decent connection as well. You'll see the
    point once you have it. Sorry to have to tell you that - but we've all got
    caught with 'creeping featurism', and now it's your turn.

    (:)o)x

    Philip Andrews, Feb 14, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:10:48 -0000, "Philip Andrews"
    <> wrote:

    >A lot of websites won't work at all under Win 9X, due to limitations of IE6
    >(and the fact that web hotshots are writing for IE7, possibly because they
    >lack the skills or patience to make their stuff 'universal'). The only way
    >round this problem is an upgrade to XP or Vista - and if you have to go that
    >far, get that as part of a cheapo PC or laptop deal. Also - dial-up is now a
    >dead dog except for emergencies: PCs and laptops can't keep up-to-date at
    >all with patches on a slow connection, so if you have to change the hardware
    >and software, treat yourself to a decent connection as well. You'll see the
    >point once you have it. Sorry to have to tell you that - but we've all got
    >caught with 'creeping featurism', and now it's your turn.
    >
    >(:)o)x

    Thanks for all replies. I actually have the latest flash software
    since I just upgraded about a week ago when some other site would not
    operate properly and insisted I upgrade. The upgrade fixed that site
    for me.

    As far as getting a faster internet service, I live in the country in
    a rural area. I only have one option, and thats dialup. Prior to the
    year 2000, we could not even get dialup unless it was a long distance
    call to some city. I guess there's a way to get satellite internet,
    but that's way beyond my affordability.

    As for upgrading to XP or Vista, I dont see that happening. This
    computer was designed for Win2K. (It was made in 2000). I downgraded
    it to Win98. I still have the original harddrive with Win2K on it,
    and I occasionally swap harddrives, but I still prefer 98. I think I
    could get used to Win2K, but I absolutely hate XP. I really tried to
    like it, but cant stand it. I had to use it for awhile when my
    computer was down, and I was using a friends computer with XP. What
    can I say, if I hate it, I hate it..... If I had to rely on XP, I'd
    probably stick the computer in the attic and never touch it again.
    I never tried Vista, and from what I have heard about it, I wont.
    Maybe a Mac is in my future, but for now the plan is to have a friend
    help me set up a dual boot with 98 and 2K.

    I guess I'll have to learn to live with some websites that dont work.
    At least I got some feedback on this site and have a better idea
    what's going on. Thank You.

    By the way, to the person that asked if I upgraded Flash for Firefox,
    when I upgraded Flash a week ago, it showed it upgraded Flash for IE,
    Firefox, and Opera (I have all of them installed). (I did not try
    this site in Opera though, when Firefox didn't work, I just assumed
    that some sites are designed for IE, so I loaded IE.

    I agree, these site designers should make them compatible with all
    computers.

    By the way, I assume i have the latest version of Flash 9. I know
    it's 9, but how do I determine which version of 9 I have????

    One other off topic question. Since that site is from Belgium, what
    language do they speak? I saved one of their Youtube videos (Zorro
    the Zebra) and it's in some foreign language. I dont know much about
    languages.... It's fun to watch even if I cant understand it, but was
    wondering what language. I had a friend visiting who can understand
    some German and he said it's not German.

    Thanks again

    Jerry

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'm running Win98se. I have both the latest ver of Firefox and IE6.
    >> If I go to this particular website:
    >> http://www.thunderguys.be
    >> I constantly get error messages when I click on the individual
    >> pictures. I'm referring to this:
    >> First you get the intro. (which can be skipped).
    >> Then it brings up a list (on the right), where there is Zorro the
    >> Zebra, Liberty Horses, Bikes and Horses, etc. Click on one of them,
    >> at the bottom is a sliding bar where individual pictures can be
    >> selected. Everytime I click on one of them, I get an error message
    >> which tells me that the script is running real slow and if I leave it
    >> run, my computer may stop responding. If I select YES (to stop the
    >> script), I do not get to see the "still" picture. If I select NO, the
    >> picture shows just fine in IE, but Firefox just keeps giving me that
    >> error message over and over and refuses to ever show me the picture.
    >>
    >> I think their website is defective, or has some sort of flaw. Or
    >> maybe it's just because I am running Win98, or because I am on dialup.
    >>
    >> Either way, if I keep clicking "NO" on that error message, the
    >> pictures will show in IE6, but Firefox just gives up and will not show
    >> the pictures.
    >>
    >> Can anyone figure out what's going on with this site?
    >>
    >> I should mention the entire site is FLASH driven (which I find
    >> annoying, especially being on a dialup connection), but I love trick
    >> horse riding so I've struggled thru all the errors to look at the
    >> pictures. I was lead to their site after watching one of their videos
    >> on Youtube.
    >>
    >> Could it be that these foreign sites use some special html code, or
    >> what?
    >>
    >> By the way, where are .BE sites from anyhow. I still have yet to
    >> figure out what country they are from. Belgium is all I can figure?
    >> Anyone know?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    , Feb 14, 2008
  7. wrote:
    > As for upgrading to XP or Vista, I dont see that happening. This
    > computer was designed for Win2K. (It was made in 2000). I downgraded
    > it to Win98. I still have the original harddrive with Win2K on it,
    > and I occasionally swap harddrives, but I still prefer 98. I think I
    > could get used to Win2K, but I absolutely hate XP.

    you CAN make XP look and feel like win98. I went from 98 to
    xp recently, and I didn't like the feel of it. Then I
    learned how to make it look and feel like win98, and I've
    stuck with it. I'm now on familiar ground,

    > I really tried to
    > like it, but cant stand it. I had to use it for awhile when my
    > computer was down, and I was using a friends computer with XP. What
    > can I say, if I hate it, I hate it.....

    geee, isn't that what they said when win98 came out.
    People hated it. Then when win2000 came out, people swore
    that they wouldn't upgrade. They'll stick with 98. Then XP
    came out and people said XP sucks. They'll never upgrade.
    Now, most of them are using it, and are saying that vista
    sucks big time, and they'll stick with XP. Geee, I wonder
    what people are going to say when Windows 7 comes out in
    2009/10? It sucks and I'll stick with vista.

    > I guess I'll have to learn to live with some websites that dont work.
    > At least I got some feedback on this site and have a better idea
    > what's going on. Thank You.

    Yes, I had that same problem, too. Some flash sites just
    wouldn't work. Then I upgraded to xp and now they do.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 14, 2008
  8. Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:18:55 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> As for upgrading to XP or Vista, I dont see that happening. This
    >> computer was designed for Win2K. (It was made in 2000). I downgraded
    >> it to Win98. I still have the original harddrive with Win2K on it,
    >> and I occasionally swap harddrives, but I still prefer 98. I think I
    >> could get used to Win2K, but I absolutely hate XP.

    >you CAN make XP look and feel like win98. I went from 98 to
    >xp recently, and I didn't like the feel of it. Then I
    >learned how to make it look and feel like win98, and I've
    >stuck with it. I'm now on familiar ground,
    >
    >> I really tried to
    >> like it, but cant stand it. I had to use it for awhile when my
    >> computer was down, and I was using a friends computer with XP. What
    >> can I say, if I hate it, I hate it.....

    >geee, isn't that what they said when win98 came out.
    >People hated it. Then when win2000 came out, people swore
    >that they wouldn't upgrade. They'll stick with 98. Then XP
    >came out and people said XP sucks. They'll never upgrade.
    >Now, most of them are using it, and are saying that vista
    >sucks big time, and they'll stick with XP. Geee, I wonder
    >what people are going to say when Windows 7 comes out in
    >2009/10? It sucks and I'll stick with vista.
    >
    >> I guess I'll have to learn to live with some websites that dont work.
    >> At least I got some feedback on this site and have a better idea
    >> what's going on. Thank You.

    >Yes, I had that same problem, too. Some flash sites just
    >wouldn't work. Then I upgraded to xp and now they do.

    So how do you make XP look like 98?

    By the way, I just went and tried Opera. Opera functioned the same
    way as IE. I got the error message, clicked NO, and the picture
    loaded with no problems.

    Please answer one question. Does this site work for you, using XP?
    Are you on a hi speed connection? Just curious.

    While I like the content of this site, I really hate sites that are
    entirely flash driven. Why do they do that?
    It should be a plain HTML mainpage, with click on Flash content, if
    you ask me. Come to think of it, since the site only shows still
    photos with a little background music, I dont see the need for Flash
    at all. The only real "video" content on the whole site is the
    opening INTRO page. Sites like that should really offer a choice,
    either choose the Flash or a plain HTML site. Just my opinion.

    Thanks.

    , Feb 14, 2008
  9. WinXP and Win2K can be made to be indistinguishable in all but a very few
    aspects. I also suspect you wouldn't have the problem with Flash using your
    Win2K disk.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Feb 14, 2008
  10. wrote:

    > Please answer one question. Does this site work for you, using XP?
    > Are you on a hi speed connection? Just curious.

    if you mean this: http://www.thunderguys.be/, then yes, it
    works with no problems.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 15, 2008
  11. Rom Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:01:32 -0600, wrote:

    > I'm running Win98se. I have both the latest ver of Firefox and IE6.
    > If I go to this particular website:
    > http://www.thunderguys.be
    > I constantly get error messages when I click on the individual
    > pictures. I'm referring to this:
    > First you get the intro. (which can be skipped).

    I can't skip the intro the first time.
    It also resizes the window if window smaller than screen - one of the
    advanced JavaScript settings in Firefox's Options.

    > Then it brings up a list (on the right), where there is Zorro the
    > Zebra, Liberty Horses, Bikes and Horses, etc. Click on one of them,
    > at the bottom is a sliding bar where individual pictures can be
    > selected. Everytime I click on one of them, I get an error message
    > which tells me that the script is running real slow and if I leave it
    > run, my computer may stop responding.

    I don't get the error every time for every picture, but usually get
    the error the first time, then some of the time.

    > If I select YES (to stop the
    > script), I do not get to see the "still" picture.

    If I select Yes, I do get to see the picture, but goes into a loop of
    the picture displaying, then seeing all the small pictures at the
    bottom scroll through fast before displaying the selected picture
    again. If I then refresh the page (to try to get out of being stuck in
    the loop), skip the intro, select the same item from the list on the
    right, it seems more likely to display the pictures and work right/as
    intended, and if I see the error again or goes into a loop after
    pressing Yes, refresh page etc. again.

    > If I select NO, the
    > picture shows just fine in IE, but Firefox just keeps giving me that
    > error message over and over and refuses to ever show me the picture.

    Didn't try IE7, but if I select No, the error repeats.

    > I think their website is defective, or has some sort of flaw. Or
    > maybe it's just because I am running Win98, or because I am on dialup.

    I'm not running Win98 or on dialup. I tried with a new default profile
    of Firefox 2.0.0.12 with Flash 9,0,115,0 on Vista 64-bit.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Feb 15, 2008
  12. wrote:

    > One other off topic question. Since that site is from Belgium, what
    > language do they speak? I saved one of their Youtube videos (Zorro
    > the Zebra) and it's in some foreign language. I dont know much about
    > languages.... It's fun to watch even if I cant understand it, but was
    > wondering what language. I had a friend visiting who can understand
    > some German and he said it's not German.

    In Belgium they do have 2 Languages French and Flemisch (Vlaams)(Dutch)
    i think you have the Flemisch (Dutch) version .

    --

    But Officer, I'm telling you this TAG is MINE!!!!

    Peter Boerhof, Feb 15, 2008