Website Hosting recommendations

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by HillaryS, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. HillaryS

    HillaryS Guest

    Hi all,

    Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    host companies that can provide this?

    Thank-you
    HillaryS, Oct 20, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. HillaryS

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from HillaryS of Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:26 :
    >
    > Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    > for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    > host companies that can provide this?


    I use webfarm, who are great ...
    http://www.freeparking.co.nz/


    Peter
    Peter, Oct 20, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. HillaryS

    RecylerMan Guest

    HillaryS wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    > for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    > host companies that can provide this?
    >
    > Thank-you
    >
    >

    I use World Wide Web Hosts Net and the server is in NZ too

    http://www.www-hosts.net

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese
    RecylerMan, Oct 20, 2003
    #3
  4. HillaryS

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "HillaryS" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    > for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    > host companies that can provide this?
    >
    > Thank-you
    >
    >

    http://aotea.net.nz/

    starting from $9.95
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 20, 2003
    #4
  5. HillaryS

    SNOman Guest

    HillaryS wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    > for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    > host companies that can provide this?
    >
    > Thank-you
    >
    >

    What about talking to your ISP? if it's only 6 pages then you will
    already have more than enough space provided as part of your current
    monthly fee. If they host your domain namem teh they could also handle
    the pointing of this to your pages.
    SNOman, Oct 20, 2003
    #5
  6. HillaryS

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
    #6
  7. HillaryS

    sal Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:02:16 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >"HillaryS" <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    >> for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    >> host companies that can provide this?
    >>
    >> Thank-you
    >>
    >>

    >http://aotea.net.nz/
    >
    >starting from $9.95


    They have had a few problems recently from reading other posts.
    sal, Oct 20, 2003
    #7
  8. HillaryS

    sal Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:26:20 +1300, "HillaryS" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    >for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    >host companies that can provide this?
    >
    >Thank-you
    >


    Check out
    http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=hosting ,
    to compare them.
    sal, Oct 20, 2003
    #8
  9. HillaryS

    rob Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    news:bn1oev$snddv$-berlin.de...
    > "sal" wrote
    > > Check out
    > > http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=hosting ,
    > > to compare them.

    >
    > I have heard that ivision are good www.ivision.co.nz and the owner is a
    > regular here, so thats handy.
    >
    >


    I signed up with them recently, they were helpful, quick and efficient.
    from my investigations they seem to be good value for windows and linux
    hosting combined w/ most things included.
    rgds
    rob
    rob, Oct 21, 2003
    #9
  10. HillaryS

    aiptek-- Guest

    Hi,

    NZ isp's are a rip off! - depending on who ur target market is, you're gonna
    get much cheaper say in a server hosted in the US
    I host my site with www.derger.com that only costs around $3.50/month
    (US$2). Orcon was charging me over $22 and was offering much less. No
    problems with speed etc.

    "HillaryS" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    > for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    > host companies that can provide this?
    >
    > Thank-you
    >
    >
    aiptek--, Oct 21, 2003
    #10
  11. HillaryS

    sal Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:55:57 +1300, "aiptek--" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >NZ isp's are a rip off! - depending on who ur target market is, you're gonna
    >get much cheaper say in a server hosted in the US
    >I host my site with www.derger.com that only costs around $3.50/month
    >(US$2). Orcon was charging me over $22 and was offering much less. No
    >problems with speed etc.
    >
    >"HillaryS" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    >> for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    >> host companies that can provide this?
    >>
    >> Thank-you
    >>
    >>

    >

    As there are more hops, it is slightly slower. Also some ISPs do
    restrict international bandwidth, especially at night, so some people
    will have difficultly viewing your site. NZ hosting is more expensive
    because of ecomonies of scale, plus Telecoms fees..
    sal, Oct 21, 2003
    #11
  12. HillaryS

    sal Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:24:29 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:

    >
    >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >news:bn1oev$snddv$-berlin.de...
    >> "sal" wrote
    >> > Check out
    >> > http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=hosting ,
    >> > to compare them.

    >>
    >> I have heard that ivision are good www.ivision.co.nz and the owner is a
    >> regular here, so thats handy.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I signed up with them recently, they were helpful, quick and efficient.
    >from my investigations they seem to be good value for windows and linux
    >hosting combined w/ most things included.
    >rgds
    >rob
    >

    Do they have a control panel for managing the hosting?
    sal, Oct 21, 2003
    #12
  13. HillaryS

    ufo_hk Guest

    Ha - www.derger.com = "The Web site cannot be found" probably equates to
    the quality of their service and hence the price.

    Smaller NZ ISPs are not a rip off - in fact they provide good timely
    service. I've just finished migrating 3 clients from US service providers to
    NZ - why 2 have gone broke the other started charging from what was
    originally offered as free service. This practise is now very common for the
    low cost US ISPs, so if you are interested in US hosting look deep into
    their offering.





    "aiptek--" <> wrote in message
    news:3f949d9d$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > NZ isp's are a rip off! - depending on who ur target market is, you're

    gonna
    > get much cheaper say in a server hosted in the US
    > I host my site with www.derger.com that only costs around $3.50/month
    > (US$2). Orcon was charging me over $22 and was offering much less. No
    > problems with speed etc.
    ufo_hk, Oct 21, 2003
    #13
  14. HillaryS

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    sal <> wrote in
    news::


    > They have had a few problems recently from reading other posts.
    >


    Someone got upset because they had to restore their site after something
    failed (a drive perhaps ?). I didn't notice any problem myself, I don't
    think it could be considered as a *few* problems
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 21, 2003
    #14
  15. HillaryS

    sal Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:10:22 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >sal <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >
    >> They have had a few problems recently from reading other posts.
    >>

    >
    >Someone got upset because they had to restore their site after something
    >failed (a drive perhaps ?). I didn't notice any problem myself, I don't
    >think it could be considered as a *few* problems

    I would be upset too, if they say that they provide daily backups, and
    then aren't able to restore the site when the server fails! As you say
    you didn't encounter the problems, but you were probably on a
    different server?
    Unfortionately their website doesn't fill me with much confidence, 'no
    contact details just a form' and my son could design a better website
    and he's only 12.
    sal, Oct 21, 2003
    #15
  16. HillaryS

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    sal <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:24:29 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > >news:bn1oev$snddv$-berlin.de...
    > >> "sal" wrote
    > >> > Check out
    > >> > http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=hosting ,
    > >> > to compare them.
    > >>
    > >> I have heard that ivision are good www.ivision.co.nz and the owner is a
    > >> regular here, so thats handy.
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > >I signed up with them recently, they were helpful, quick and efficient.
    > >from my investigations they seem to be good value for windows and linux
    > >hosting combined w/ most things included.
    > >rgds
    > >rob
    > >

    > Do they have a control panel for managing the hosting?


    Not yet, but watch this space! We're hoping to implement one by the end
    of this year/early next year.

    --
    madknoxie
    $35 .nz domain names: http://www.ivision.co.nz/
    madknoxie, Oct 21, 2003
    #16
  17. HillaryS

    rob Guest

    "sal" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:24:29 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > >news:bn1oev$snddv$-berlin.de...
    > >> "sal" wrote
    > >> > Check out
    > >> > http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=hosting ,
    > >> > to compare them.
    > >>
    > >> I have heard that ivision are good www.ivision.co.nz and the owner is a
    > >> regular here, so thats handy.
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > >I signed up with them recently, they were helpful, quick and efficient.
    > >from my investigations they seem to be good value for windows and linux
    > >hosting combined w/ most things included.
    > >rgds
    > >rob
    > >

    > Do they have a control panel for managing the hosting?


    not yet unfortunately , they said they were working on it.
    I just call their 0800 number and they make any changes pretty much
    immediately.
    It will be good to have a control panel though.
    rob, Oct 21, 2003
    #17
  18. HillaryS

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    sal <> wrote in
    news::


    > I would be upset too, if they say that they provide daily backups, and
    > then aren't able to restore the site when the server fails! As you say
    > you didn't encounter the problems, but you were probably on a
    > different server?
    > Unfortionately their website doesn't fill me with much confidence, 'no
    > contact details just a form' and my son could design a better website
    > and he's only 12.


    I am of course assuming that there isn't more to the story than what was
    told.

    I hadn't been to their website for a while and yes it doesn't look that
    great. Have never used the contact form have always used the support email
    address the 1 time I needed it (when I set up the account).

    I am, of course, bias in my views due to the trouble free service I have
    received :)
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 21, 2003
    #18
  19. HillaryS

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:26:20 +1300, HillaryS wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im a bit confused over all this. I have a domain, and i need some hosting
    > for about 6 pages, so i won't need anything special, any relatively cheap
    > host companies that can provide this?
    >
    > Thank-you


    Most of the sites I've done have ended up being hosted by Net24
    (www.net24.co.nz) and I've always found them to be great. Never had any
    problems.

    - Scott
    Scott, Oct 22, 2003
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bhoona

    US web hosting or UK web hosting comapnies?

    Bhoona, Mar 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    515
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com
    Mar 4, 2004
  2. Ozzy

    Hosting Recommendations, please

    Ozzy, Oct 3, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    563
    Clued Weasel
    Oct 3, 2005
  3. jam
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    334
    Michael Meissner
    Sep 8, 2003
  4. QX
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    349
  5. darkknight
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    756
Loading...

Share This Page