    frame (so the search would be in the top frame, but actually search the
    bottom frame).

    Is this possible? Could anyone point me in the right direction with this?

    edgy, Jun 30, 2006

  2. edgy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    edgy wrote:
    > Hi, I did some searching on this to no avail...
    >
    > I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to incorporate a "control-f"
    > search function into my webpage.
    >
    > As I have one very long main page, I'd like to give my visitors the ability
    > to search for key words on the main page (without having to hit control-f).
    > I don't want to get search results, but just to highlight the searched words
    > in the main document. Also, I'd like to put this search window in my banner
    > frame (so the search would be in the top frame, but actually search the
    > bottom frame).
    >
    > Is this possible? Could anyone point me in the right direction with this?

    It seems like poor page design to me. No main page should be of such
    design that a user has got to start searching for things on the page,
    particularly on the main page -- not on any page.

    I think you need to rethink page design and functionality.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 30, 2006

  3. edgy

    edgy Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    > edgy wrote:
    >> Hi, I did some searching on this to no avail...
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to incorporate a
    >> "control-f" search function into my webpage.
    >>
    >> As I have one very long main page, I'd like to give my visitors the
    >> ability to search for key words on the main page (without having to hit
    >> control-f). I don't want to get search results, but just to highlight the
    >> searched words in the main document. Also, I'd like to put this search
    >> window in my banner frame (so the search would be in the top frame, but
    >> actually search the bottom frame).
    >>
    >> Is this possible? Could anyone point me in the right direction with
    >> this?

    > It seems like poor page design to me. No main page should be of such
    > design that a user has got to start searching for things on the page,
    > particularly on the main page -- not on any page.
    >
    > I think you need to rethink page design and functionality.
    >
    > Duane :)

    fair point, or bad explaining on my part...the page is a list of inventory,
    sorted alphabetically by latin name for my customers..they have easy access
    to an alphebetized index (in latin, whiich is the most common way for my
    customers to search). The point of the search box would be, for example,
    someone wanting to search by common name or part of a name if they can't
    remember the proper name (or just don't know it).

    edgy, Jun 30, 2006
  4. edgy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    edgy wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    >
    >>edgy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I did some searching on this to no avail...
    >>>
    >>>I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to incorporate a
    >>>"control-f" search function into my webpage.
    >>>
    >>>As I have one very long main page, I'd like to give my visitors the
    >>>ability to search for key words on the main page (without having to hit
    >>>control-f). I don't want to get search results, but just to highlight the
    >>>searched words in the main document. Also, I'd like to put this search
    >>>window in my banner frame (so the search would be in the top frame, but
    >>>actually search the bottom frame).
    >>>
    >>>Is this possible? Could anyone point me in the right direction with
    >>>this?

    >>It seems like poor page design to me. No main page should be of such
    >>design that a user has got to start searching for things on the page,
    >>particularly on the main page -- not on any page.
    >>
    >>I think you need to rethink page design and functionality.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > fair point, or bad explaining on my part...the page is a list of inventory,
    > sorted alphabetically by latin name for my customers..they have easy access
    > to an alphebetized index (in latin, whiich is the most common way for my
    > customers to search). The point of the search box would be, for example,
    > someone wanting to search by common name or part of a name if they can't
    > remember the proper name (or just don't know it).

    What are you using ASP and ASPscript or ASP and Javascript it might not
    even be a MS site but Linux or what? It seems to me, that you would want
    to read the index of data and pull back a subset of the data to be
    display on the page.

    The search box on the initial page load of the page could have the word
    ALL -- display all. The user could enter into the search box A* show the
    list that starts with "A", B* show list start with *B*, AB*, BA* or
    enter into the search box enough characters to bring back a subset of
    the list or enter the entire word and bring it back and display it.

    You could set the default to A* instead of ALL.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 30, 2006
  5. edgy

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:23:56 -0400, an entity identified as
    "edgy" <> proudly proclaimed:

    >Hi, I did some searching on this to no avail...
    >
    >I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to incorporate a "control-f"
    >search function into my webpage.
    >
    >As I have one very long main page, I'd like to give my visitors the ability
    >to search for key words on the main page (without having to hit control-f).
    >I don't want to get search results, but just to highlight the searched words
    >in the main document. Also, I'd like to put this search window in my banner
    >frame (so the search would be in the top frame, but actually search the
    >bottom frame).
    >
    >Is this possible? Could anyone point me in the right direction with this?

    These folks are real helpful:
    alt.html.critique

    SilverMan
    --

    Real debate; No bullshit.(OK, well maybe a little.)

    & http://halebobb.com

    Frosty, Jul 1, 2006

    shirley hacib, Jul 2, 2006