    What special software application would I need?
    Would I need to have permission to access the Bookmakers databases?

    Ian D

    [G]rumpy [O]ld [D]uffer, Jul 15, 2004

  2. [G]rumpy [O]ld [D]uffer

    why? Guest

    On 15 Jul 2004 02:06:05 -0700, [G]rumpy [O]ld [D]uffer wrote:

    >In a nut-shell I want to pull-together Odds data for various events
    >(i.e. Tennis, Football, Snooker) from various Bookmaker/Betting
    >Exchange sites and create a personal webpage which shows the Odds that
    >are higher at a Bookmaker than they are at a Betting Exchange, and
    >this needs to be rapidly analysed as the Odds are constantly changing.
    >
    >I've looked at getting a Web Designer to do this but with quoted
    >prices of around £6,000, the costs are beyond me.
    >
    >Is there any off-the-shelf software that will do the Data Mining for
    >me?

    That's what XML/RSS does quite well, portable data format and data
    feeds.
    http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp
    http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/intro/

    >Is there any useful Tutorials that I could learn from, bearing-in-mind
    >my limits of creating websites are at the WYSIWYG Frontpage stage?

    Then don't even bother starting a project like that. Start off with
    something smaller, setup your own database (MS Access or SQL) and learn
    how to read data from that. There are lots of tutorials to be found, try
    www.google.com

    >What special software application would I need?

    Perl or another scripting language (ASP/PHP).

    >Would I need to have permission to access the Bookmakers databases?

    What do you think?

    How would you even be able to access thier DB, most likely thier webpage
    is scripted (dynamic) looking at a backend DB with restricted
    permissions, maybe not even accessable via the Internet. On the webpage
    all you are seeing is the result of a calculation not the original data
    (usually).

    If the webpage is well designed and it's easy to identify the event/odds
    content it's failry easy in Perl to suck down a page , look for the data
    (using a regex)
    http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/helpsheets/regex.html
    and extract it and chuck it back out as a new page.

    >Ian D

    Me

    why?, Jul 15, 2004