    Do I need to look for any other crap that website did to my system?

    Thanks for your help in the past. I hope you can advise me now.

    JPM

    DemoDisk, Nov 13, 2005

  2. DemoDisk wrote:
    > I was looking for Sentra-related websites and found my way to
    > http://www.sentra.net/ . The damn thing installed its background on my
    > desktop, but I found and deleted the .BMP at
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    >
    > So much for that -- but AVG's free AV scan reports a read error in the
    > boot sector! (first time ever) It said everything else was OK, but
    > didn't say how to do correct the error.
    >
    > Do I need to look for any other crap that website did to my system?
    >
    > Thanks for your help in the past. I hope you can advise me now.

    You might try booting up with your XP CD and go into the repair console.
    Run fixboot and fixmbr. The theory is it won't do any harm although
    you'll get some warnings to the contrary - and it may just straighten
    out the boot sector error.

    Have you tried any other AV programs than AVG? It's not bad, but there's
    better.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 13, 2005

  3. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote

    > You might try booting up with your XP CD and go into the repair

    console.
    > Run fixboot and fixmbr. The theory is it won't do any harm although
    > you'll get some warnings to the contrary - and it may just straighten
    > out the boot sector error.
    >
    > Have you tried any other AV programs than AVG? It's not bad, but

    there's
    > better.

    Thanks for helping, Rôgêr. I'm running Win98SE, so I don't know whether
    I have any SW fixes.

    The system *seems* alright, but I'm suspicious bcz I thought I caught
    the flash of a dialog box onscreen for an instant. In the past, that
    was a telltale sign a virus was activated. (i.e., I had one and it was a
    bastard)

    I use AVG because it was free, highly recommended. Tell me of some
    others, pls?

    JPM

    DemoDisk, Nov 13, 2005
  4. DemoDisk

    Wal Guest

    Reboot to dos and restore your 'Master Boot Record, MBR' by
    using the dos command Fdisk. Type in Fdisk /MBR then Enter.
    Please note that you must type a space in between the k and the /.

    Regards,
    Wal.

    =======================================

    Wal, Nov 13, 2005
  5. DemoDisk wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote
    >
    >>You might try booting up with your XP CD and go into the repair

    > console.
    >
    >>Run fixboot and fixmbr. The theory is it won't do any harm although
    >>you'll get some warnings to the contrary - and it may just straighten
    >>out the boot sector error.
    >>
    >>Have you tried any other AV programs than AVG? It's not bad, but

    > there's
    >
    >>better.

    > Thanks for helping, Rôgêr. I'm running Win98SE, so I don't know whether
    > I have any SW fixes.
    >
    > The system *seems* alright, but I'm suspicious bcz I thought I caught
    > the flash of a dialog box onscreen for an instant. In the past, that
    > was a telltale sign a virus was activated. (i.e., I had one and it was a
    > bastard)
    >
    > I use AVG because it was free, highly recommended. Tell me of some
    > others, pls?
    >
    > JPM

    Fixboot and fixmbr are for later versions of Windows than what you have.
    However, it's AVG itself that you're probably seeing that little flash
    of a window opening. Test this by diabling AVG and doing a restart and
    you'll probably won't see it anymore.

    As Wal noted, start up to a DOS prompt and run fdisk /mbr to do a DOS
    repair on the boot sector. Sometimes it makes a difference if you do it
    two or three times in a row instead of just once.

    AVG is pretty good, I think for a free AV that Avast is better (just my
    opinion).

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 13, 2005
  6. DemoDisk

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try updating AVG.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 13, 2005
  7. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    Try updating AVG.

    Done automatically, but thanks.

    DemoDisk, Nov 14, 2005
  8. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Wal" <> wrote in message

    > Reboot to dos and restore your 'Master Boot Record, MBR' by
    > using the dos command Fdisk. Type in Fdisk /MBR then Enter.
    > Please note that you must type a space in between the k and the /.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Wal.

    Well, Wal and Rôgêr, thanks for your answers again. I ran fdisk /mbr as
    directed and AVG is updated, but it still reports a "Reading error" in
    the "Boot sector of disk C:"

    Anything else I can try?

    JPM

    DemoDisk, Nov 14, 2005
  9. DemoDisk wrote:
    > "Wal" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Reboot to dos and restore your 'Master Boot Record, MBR' by
    >>using the dos command Fdisk. Type in Fdisk /MBR then Enter.
    >>Please note that you must type a space in between the k and the /.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Wal.

    > Well, Wal and Rôgêr, thanks for your answers again. I ran fdisk /mbr as
    > directed and AVG is updated, but it still reports a "Reading error" in
    > the "Boot sector of disk C:"
    >
    > Anything else I can try?

    I'm wondering if there's something wrong with your install of AVG. You
    can try running scandisk or if you have Spinrite from Steve Gibson
    available to you. But since AVG is free, I'd either do an uninstall and
    reinstall of AVG or switch to another AV such as Avast and see if you
    still get reports about the boot sector. Hopefully someone else will
    have more definitive suggestions.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 14, 2005
  10. DemoDisk

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Nov 14, 2005
  11. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote ...

    See if this is helpful.

    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,52462,52643

    Interesting! Thanks, Ben. Maybe it's nothing to worry about.

    One other thing; in Win98 Display Properties, my wallpaper is set to
    "none," but how do I remove the bogus "Internet Explorer Wallpaper" from
    the list of wallpapers? It no longer shows the .BMP, but the entry
    shouldn't be there either.

    JPM

    DemoDisk, Nov 14, 2005
  12. DemoDisk

    Ben Myers Guest

    Rename "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp"

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 15, 2005