Webserver for database?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Sep 29, 2008.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys, I am just installing a CRM open source package called Sugar
    CRM. I've used this application before but this is the first time I
    have attempted to install it myself. l I am WAY out of my depth and
    there are lots of new words. However, it's for my own personal use so
    this is a great learning exercise for me.

    I run into difficulties when the install asks me whether I want PHP,
    SQL, Apache, etc. If I am running Vista Business, is it likely I would
    have any of these components already installed?

    The other thing I don't know about is whether I need a web server or
    whether you can run these things off your hard drive. The Sugar
    install doesn't seem to let me choose a self-hosting option. There's a
    really extensive FAQ and help forum but this most basic question
    hasn't been addressed.

    I don't know how many of you are familiar with databases but I'm sure
    you all know more than I do. I have almost decided to have my website
    hosted by iServe ($20 per month for the basic plan) and they also
    offer a web server hosting option for $4 per month. Is there such a
    thing as a free option that anyone knows of?

    Thanks in advance for help to this very basic problem.

    Jo

    Boppy, Sep 29, 2008

  2. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks Thing, I'll have a look at your links. Meantime here are the
    installation notes for Sugar:

    http://www.sugarforge.org/content/installation/index.php#1042938

    Where it talks about webserver, would your VMWare install an
    alternative location on my hard drive?

    Copying Sugar Files to the Web Server
    After you download Sugar, you need to unzip the files and set
    permissions.
    1.

    Locate your webroot directory on your Web server. This is the
    directory on your web server where publicly accessible files are made
    available by your Web server. Common locations for Web root includes:
    /var/www/html/ (Linux/Apache)
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ (Windows/IIS)
    C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\ (Windows/Apache)
    /Library/Web server/Documents/ (MacOS X/Apache)
    2.

    Unzip the Sugar zip file into your webroot. A directory is
    automatically created within webroot.
    3.

    Rename this directory at any time.
    4.

    Set permissions on the Sugar files. The following directories, all
    subdirectories, and files must be made writable by your Web server
    user:
    -

    cache
    -

    custom
    -

    data
    -

    modules
    -

    config.php
    The system user that your Web server uses to access files in your
    Webroot varies depending on your operating system configuration.
    Common Web server users include:
    -

    apache (Linux/Apache)
    -

    nobody (Linux/Apache)
    -

    IUSR_computerName (Windows/IIS)
    If you are unsure of your Web server user, consult your system
    administrator.

    Boppy, Sep 29, 2008

  3. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <6b667569-e2a6-49d1-a3dd-
    >,
    says...
    > Hi guys, I am just installing a CRM open source package called Sugar
    > CRM. I've used this application before but this is the first time I
    > have attempted to install it myself. l I am WAY out of my depth and
    > there are lots of new words. However, it's for my own personal use so
    > this is a great learning exercise for me.
    >
    > I run into difficulties when the install asks me whether I want PHP,
    > SQL, Apache, etc. If I am running Vista Business, is it likely I would
    > have any of these components already installed?
    >
    > The other thing I don't know about is whether I need a web server or
    > whether you can run these things off your hard drive. The Sugar
    > install doesn't seem to let me choose a self-hosting option. There's a
    > really extensive FAQ and help forum but this most basic question
    > hasn't been addressed.
    >
    > I don't know how many of you are familiar with databases but I'm sure
    > you all know more than I do. I have almost decided to have my website
    > hosted by iServe ($20 per month for the basic plan) and they also
    > offer a web server hosting option for $4 per month. Is there such a
    > thing as a free option that anyone knows of?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for help to this very basic problem.

    The CRM and it's backend guff are all linux based. Perhaps you should
    run up a linux distro to run it?

    Or... run a "windows" CRM instead - also for free. There's heaps of
    open-source free ones around, one that comes to mind, it's very mature,
    and fully featured, is Dotnetnuke (URL at the obvious).

    It backends to a SQL Server database. So you can put SQL Server Express
    on yer PC and run that. You can graphically admin it with the SQL
    Server Management Studio Express.

    And you'll need a webserver - well your OS has one - to install IIS on
    yer Vista machine...

    as it's not installed by default (I think).

    And IMO if you are gonna do it yourself you should invest in a good
    hardware firewall, Cisco, Sonicwall etc.

    And thirdly, you mentioned it yourself, pay for a host, not expensive
    anymore.

    Number three's looking easy, eh :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks Duncan, you've given me lots to consider. Am looking at dot.crm
    now.

    Cheers,
    Jo

    Boppy, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Boppy

    AD. Guest

    On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > The CRM and it's backend guff are all linux based.  Perhaps you should
    > run up a linux distro to run it?

    Nothing about Apache, MySQL or PHP is inherently Linux based. They are
    no more Linux based than they are Windows based or Mac based or
    Solaris based etc.

    For the original poster - you can download Windows installers for
    Apache, MySQL and PHP integrated into a single package. Google for
    WampServer, XAMPP or Apache2Triad etc.

    > Or... run a "windows" CRM instead - also for free. There's heaps of
    > open-source free ones around, one that comes to mind, it's very mature,
    > and fully featured, is Dotnetnuke (URL at the obvious).

    Dotnetnuke? You're not thinking CMS (content management system)
    instead of CRM (customer relationship management) are you?

    I'm not aware of many open source Windows specific CRM systems.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 1, 2008