    incarnation of it crashes my systems (WinXPsp2 and Vista)

    I've emailed Webroot a number of times and got no reply.

    Beware
    John, Feb 7, 2008

  2. John

    VanguardLH Guest

    "John" wrote in message news:y8Mqj.10267$w57.10047@edtnps90...
    >I bought this product ages ago and it has been very good. But the
    >latest incarnation of it crashes my systems (WinXPsp2 and Vista)

    http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-spysweeper.html

    Lists support only for 32-bit versions of Windows, including Vista.
    Do you know that a 32-bit version of the OS (Vista x86) was installed?
    Or are you running the 64-bit version (Vista x64)?

    If the OS was pre-installed, it is likely (but not necessarily true)
    that Vista x86 was installed even if the hardware is 64-bit. The
    manufacturers do this to reduce tech support calls because of the
    continuing problems (lack of availability or compatibility) with
    64-bit support by drivers and applications. When users install the
    OS, they tend to install Vista x64 on 64-bit hardware before
    researching the availability of drivers and applications and rarely
    test that environment to ensure those 64-bit drivers and applications
    will work without errors.

    It has probably been around 3 years since I trialed SpySweeper. At
    that time, it generated far too many false positives. Hell, one false
    positive was just having a folder (not a URL shortcut but just a
    folder) called "Finance" under your Favorites folder. SpySweeper was
    extremely slow for on-demand scanning (more than twice the time for
    other anti-malware products). After hitting 5 false positives within
    a month (they used to have 1-month trial versions but now just have
    the freebie scan-only version), I gave up on the product and got rid
    of it. It could've improved since then but I found other multiple
    free alternatives (to provide overlapped coverage since no one
    anti-malware product provides full coverage). Visit
    http://www.malware-test.com/ and check the coverage rates (now
    1/2-year old). From other coverage tests done a year earlier,
    SpySweeper was at 56% back then and after a year it had not improved.
    That is the *detection* rate. The cleanup success rate for SpySweeper
    is down at 27%. This report includes a mix of various pest types
    which many anti-malware products do not test, like viruses, under the
    presumption that you will incorporate an anti-virus program with their
    anti-malware program. Due to the blurring of pest behaviors, many
    commercialware products now try to detect a blend of pests (viruses,
    trojans, spyware, adware, tracking cookies, rootkits, etc.).

    You can never claim the value of an anti-malware program that has
    never been tested. You say that SpySweeper has been a good product
    for the ages that you have used the product. Well, did it EVER detect
    a pest? An anti-malware product that never alerts you to a pest
    either never found one (which could be a problem with coverage by the
    product) or you never had any on your computer (not likely, even if
    caught in the traffic to your host, unless you have been extremely
    selective as to where you connect). If it never alerted you to a
    pest, maybe it is a worthless product. That's like saying an
    anti-virus program is excellent based on never issuing an alert of a
    virus on your host. That doesn't mean there is no pest. It could
    mean the product isn't capable of detecting the pest. That is why
    multiple anti-malware products are required (not all running but used
    for on-demand scanning) to provide overlapped coverage since some
    products catch pests that are missed by other products. Also, if
    SpySweeper ever did alert you, and it was something other than
    tracking cookies (which are NOT malware because they are just .txt
    files but the commercial programs want you to see their product do
    something), did it actually eradicate the pest without leaving the OS
    or application in an unusable state?

    You would be better off dumping SpySweeper and getting a combination
    of multiple free anti-malware programs (but not have them all running
    and instead use as on-demand scanners): Grisoft's AVG Antispyware
    (was ewido when Grisoft acquired it), SuperAntispyware, Windows
    Defender, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and rootkit detectors
    (SysInternals, AVG AntiRootkit, Resplendence Rootkit Hook Analyzer).
    Obviously you need to check if they support whatever Windows version
    (and 32- or 64-bit) that you are running. Then include the free
    online scanners (they want to install ActiveX controls to run a local
    client that does the scanning): Symantec Security Check, McAfee
    FreeScan, TrendMicro Housecall, ESET Online Scan, and F-Secure
    Healthcheck. Of course, this is in addition to a good anti-virus
    program (just remember the freebie versions have disabled features,
    like script blocking, so the coverage quoted for their full version
    doesn't apply to their free version - the signature database is the
    same but the behaviors that they detect will be crippled in the free
    version).
    VanguardLH, Feb 8, 2008

  3. John

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:05:02 GMT, "John" <> wrote:

    >I bought this product ages ago and it has been very good. But the latest
    >incarnation of it crashes my systems (WinXPsp2 and Vista)
    >
    >I've emailed Webroot a number of times and got no reply.
    >
    >Beware

    XP SP 2 here, and it runs perfectly. Have you checked to see if the service is
    running?

    --
    Of course I'm right, I'm the operator. I'm not only right,
    I'm wrong ifI want to be as well.
    Mara, Feb 8, 2008
  4. "John" <> wrote in

    > I bought this product ages ago and it has been
    > very good. But the latest incarnation of it
    > crashes my systems (WinXPsp2 and Vista)
    >
    > I've emailed Webroot a number of times and got no reply.
    >
    > Beware

    If the "latest incarnation" crashes,
    you must take it out of the carnation,
    then give it a try, Grasshopper.

    You must verify that the software is
    appropriate for your OS; to wit, for
    32 bit systems, etc., and that you
    did not inadvertantly click-through
    an incompatible update, etc.

    In cases like this, you should download
    the latest version to your hard drive;
    completely uninstall the existing; reboot;
    manually verify that all files, folders,
    and remnants are cleaned up; reboot if you
    have to delete anything manually; then,
    install the latest version; re-register
    as necessary; update - and that may fix it.

    If it don't... then lawyer-up and sue
    because it works fine for everyone else.

    (TIP: when you eMail Webroot, you should
    put something like "hey assholes" in the
    subject field somewhere, and in all caps
    is a nice touch. Then try to use big
    words like "litigation", "attenuation",
    "arbitrary and capricious", "downsize",
    "paradigm-shift" and stuff like that.
    Makes 'em think "whew, he's pissed off
    and we *don't want him posting derog out
    on usenet, do we?")

    --

    http://www.jonregen.com/

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u

    http://cdbaby.com/mp3
    Bucky Breeder, Feb 8, 2008
  5. John

    John Guest

    John wrote:
    > I bought this product ages ago and it has been very good. But the
    > latest incarnation of it crashes my systems (WinXPsp2 and Vista)
    >
    > I've emailed Webroot a number of times and got no reply.
    >
    > Beware

    Thanks for the responses... Bye Bye Spysweeper. I shall email them again
    and again as I think they should do something for the money I sent them.
    John, Feb 9, 2008
  6. > John wrote:

    >> I bought this product ages ago and it has been very good. But the
    >> latest incarnation of it crashes my systems (WinXPsp2 and Vista)
    >>
    >> I've emailed Webroot a number of times and got no reply.
    >>
    >> Beware

    "John" <> wrote in

    > Thanks for the responses... Bye Bye Spysweeper.

    <wipes tear and sniffles>

    Webroot SpySweeper : "Just remember the good times..."

    <fade to black, then clouds and rainbows...>

    > I shall email them again and again as I think
    > they should do something for the money I sent them.

    Be sure to send flowers and candy, they should
    like that for Valentine's Day.

    http://www.webroot.com/land/pcsecure5.php

    "100% Satisfaction Guaranteed, Unlimited Support"

    "We stand behind our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
    Plus, you'll get FREE unlimited online or telephone support from
    our US-based customer service center."

    Now, if you're complaining about buying yearly subscriptions to
    software, I'd have to agree with that... but I wouldn't buy into
    it and then start complaining. Even so, this is not really your
    best complaint forum, unless you need encouragement to stop your
    complaining. In that case : stop your whining and own your issue!
    Do something constructive, like feed the hungry or donate some
    shoes to a poor child, or pity-**** a homeless crack-whore, (but
    use dozens of condems, *AND* they're tax-deductable!!!)

    --
    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 12, 2008