    Apparently my net account includes some web space - unfortunately I'm scared
    of the security issues involved in setting it up, please can anyone offer
    any pointers?

    I.F., Mar 31, 2006

  2. I.F.

    Gordon Guest

    I.F. wrote:

    > Apparently my net account includes some web space - unfortunately I'm
    > scared of the security issues involved in setting it up,

    There aren't any as far as I know. Why would there be?

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2006

  3. I.F. (of NTLworld) wrote:

    > Apparently my net account includes some web space

    Have you asked your ISP about it? Are there instructions on their home
    pages? [This is an international newsgroup, not an NTLworld group.]

    > - unfortunately I'm scared of the security issues involved in setting
    > it up, please can anyone offer any pointers?

    Security? If you are going to create ordinary HTML pages, there is
    nothing to worry about. They would be static documetns. If you would set
    up an online store, then you will have to take precautions.

    Good HTML editor for the beginner, and free:
    http://nvu.com/

    but it is still better to learn HTML and CSS and code by hand.
    http://htmldog.com/

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 31, 2006
  4. I.F.

    Gordon Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > but it is still better to learn HTML and CSS and code by hand.
    > http://htmldog.com/

    Thanks for the link - been meaning to do that for a while... ;-)

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Gordon wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> but it is still better to learn HTML and CSS and code by hand.
    >> http://htmldog.com/

    > Thanks for the link - been meaning to do that for a while... ;-)

    Heh, you should start by dumping FrontPlague! :)

    For the more experienced (Windows) web authors, look at Crimson Editor,
    also free:
    http://crimsoneditor.com/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 31, 2006
  6. I.F.

    Gordon Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>
    >>> but it is still better to learn HTML and CSS and code by hand.
    >>> http://htmldog.com/

    >> Thanks for the link - been meaning to do that for a while... ;-)

    > Heh, you should start by dumping FrontPlague! :)

    You mean on my website? hell, that was done when I was a raw callow youth,
    before I saw the (linux) light.......

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2006
  7. I.F.

    mamamia Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the link - been meaning to do that for a while... ;-)

    >> Heh, you should start by dumping FrontPlague! :)
    >>

    > You mean on my website? hell, that was done when I was a raw callow youth,
    > before I saw the (linux) light.......

    Here are some more good sites to learn from:

    http://www.w3schools.com/

    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

    And my favorite editor (for Windows):

    http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

    mamamia, Mar 31, 2006
  8. I.F.

    I.F. Guest

    "mamamia" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> Heh, you should start by dumping FrontPlague! :)
    >>>

    >> You mean on my website? hell, that was done when I was a raw callow
    >> youth,
    >> before I saw the (linux) light.......
    >>

    > Here are some more good sites to learn from:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/
    >
    > http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
    >
    > And my favorite editor (for Windows):
    >
    > http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

    Thanks all, I've saved the links given and as suggested I'll have a look at
    what info is provided on the home page.

    I.F., Mar 31, 2006
  9. I.F.

    JANA Guest

    If you are going to create standard web pages there is nothing to worry
    about. Nobody will be able to upload anything to your webpage. If you want
    to have an email address on the site, get yourself a Hotmail, or Yahoo, or
    the equivalent type of remote account for receiving emails from your
    visitors. You can also arrange with your ISP to have an alias account with a
    forward on it.

    --

    JANA
    _____