Webpage renders differently when loaded from Internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.L., Feb 4, 2007.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    When loaded from my hard drive, the webpage I'm working on renders fine
    on IE6, Firefox 2.0.0.1, and Opera 9.02. However, after uploading it to
    the web there are 2 images that fail to display on those browsers. All
    the other images and everything else on the page render just fine.

    1.) I converted one of the gif images to a jpeg but that made no
    difference.

    2.) I validated the webpage offline using Tagcheck, and online using the
    ww3.org validator. The only issues were the usage of Height and
    Background attributes in the TD tag. But I've done that before with no
    issues, and the tags for the missing images do not use either of those
    attributes.

    3.) The images uploaded OK to the ISP and show correct sizes of 12 and
    23 KB respectively.

    4.) When I right-click on the jpg image placeholder to check for
    properties:
    IE6 shows: ad3.jpg file (correct), type = gif (incorrect),
    dimensions: 273x88 pixels (correct), size = 42 bytes (incorrect)
    Firefox shows: ad3.jpg file (correct), no type specified,
    dimensions: 273x88 pixels (correct), size = 42 bytes (incorrect)
    Opera shows: ad3.jpg file (correct), type = gif (incorrect),
    dimensions: 1x1 pixels (incorrect), size = 42 bytes (incorrect)

    5.) I entered the full web address of the jpg image into each web
    browser and got the following results:
    IE6: Nothing appeared in the browser window
    Firefox: Nothing appeared in the browser window, however the tab
    showed "ad3.jpg (Gif image. 1x1 pixels)"
    Opera: Nothing appeared in the browser window

    6.) I called and asked my brother to load the webpage from his computer.
    He says there are no images missing and correctly described both of them
    to me.

    7.) I rebooted my computer and tried again, but nothing changed.

    It's as though 1x1 transparent gifs have been substituted for only those
    2 images, and only when *I* load from the web. I have run out of ideas
    as to why this is happening on my system. Any additional ideas for
    troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    M.L., Feb 4, 2007

  2. M.L.

    Mike Easter Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > the webpage I'm working on

    > Any additional
    > ideas for troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated.

    My experience with watching people describe things in great detail
    poorly as contrasted to gving access to what is being described with one
    line or a link is that the greatly detailed inadequate description
    sucks, and simple access to the real thing works.

    If you can't give the people you are asking for help access to the real
    thing, you should just work it out yourself or talk to someone/someplace
    that you /can/ give access to the actual item.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 4, 2007

  3. M.L. wrote:

    > When loaded from my hard drive, the webpage

    <snip unnecessary essay>

    What is the URL to the page?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 4, 2007
  4. followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

    M.L. wrote :
    > When loaded from my hard drive, the webpage I'm working on renders fine
    > on IE6, Firefox 2.0.0.1, and Opera 9.02. However, after uploading it to
    > the web there are 2 images that fail to display on those browsers. All
    > the other images and everything else on the page render just fine.
    >
    > 1.) I converted one of the gif images to a jpeg but that made no
    > difference.
    >
    > 2.) I validated the webpage offline using Tagcheck,

    Tagcheck is not any better than HTML Tidy; Tagcheck is just a software
    checking appropriate nesting of elements. "It does not validate anything
    else." HTML Tidy will not only check appropriate nesting of elements but
    will repair improper nesting of elements... and it will do a number of
    additional checkings and correction.

    Tagcheck's very own website has validation markup errors!
    See:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/tagcheck.html

    and online using the
    > ww3.org validator. The only issues were the usage of Height and
    > Background attributes in the TD tag. But I've done that before with no
    > issues, and the tags for the missing images do not use either of those
    > attributes.
    >
    > 3.) The images uploaded OK to the ISP and show correct sizes of 12 and
    > 23 KB respectively.
    >
    > 4.) When I right-click on the jpg image placeholder to check for
    > properties:
    > IE6 shows: ad3.jpg file (correct), type = gif (incorrect),
    > dimensions: 273x88 pixels (correct), size = 42 bytes (incorrect)
    > Firefox shows: ad3.jpg file (correct), no type specified,
    > dimensions: 273x88 pixels (correct), size = 42 bytes (incorrect)
    > Opera shows: ad3.jpg file (correct), type = gif (incorrect),
    > dimensions: 1x1 pixels (incorrect), size = 42 bytes (incorrect)
    >
    > 5.) I entered the full web address of the jpg image into each web
    > browser and got the following results:
    > IE6: Nothing appeared in the browser window
    > Firefox: Nothing appeared in the browser window, however the tab
    > showed "ad3.jpg (Gif image. 1x1 pixels)"

    Well, does that make sense? You mishandle the image format, it seems.

    > Opera: Nothing appeared in the browser window
    >
    > 6.) I called and asked my brother to load the webpage from his computer.
    > He says there are no images missing and correctly described both of them
    > to me.
    >
    > 7.) I rebooted my computer and tried again, but nothing changed.
    >
    > It's as though 1x1 transparent gifs have been substituted for only those
    > 2 images, and only when *I* load from the web. I have run out of ideas
    > as to why this is happening on my system. Any additional ideas for
    > troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    It could be a number of things but without the ability to actually check
    the webpage live on the web, there is very little we can do. Good luck!

    followup-to set: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

    GĂ©rard
    --
    Using Web Standards in your Web Pages (Updated Dec. 2006)
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Using_Web_Standards_in_your_Web_Pages

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Feb 4, 2007
  5. M.L.

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:39:51 -0600, M.L. wrote:

    Make your problem easier, there are so many things there,

    browser, local , remote, image types, validation at the point of the
    images is mentioned, no URL to page,

    >When loaded from my hard drive, the webpage I'm working on renders fine
    >on IE6, Firefox 2.0.0.1, and Opera 9.02. However, after uploading it to
    >the web there are 2 images that fail to display on those browsers. All
    >the other images and everything else on the page render just fine.
    >
    >1.) I converted one of the gif images to a jpeg but that made no
    >difference.

    Why?

    >2.) I validated the webpage offline using Tagcheck, and online using the
    >ww3.org validator. The only issues were the usage of Height and

    <snip>

    >6.) I called and asked my brother to load the webpage from his computer.
    >He says there are no images missing and correctly described both of them
    >to me.

    That will be the 1st time he tried that? So on the 2nd attempt what
    happens?

    >7.) I rebooted my computer and tried again, but nothing changed.

    Why?

    >It's as though 1x1 transparent gifs have been substituted for only those
    >2 images, and only when *I* load from the web. I have run out of ideas

    Firewall / AV app blocking images the size of ADs. In that case View |
    Source will show the altered HTML.

    >as to why this is happening on my system. Any additional ideas for
    >troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    So the ISP is the same or different, you are using different ISP hence
    different proxies, cleared temp files for each browser.

    Maybe you didn't provide the URL to check on others ISPs just in case
    someone replied to your post.

    Me

    why?, Feb 5, 2007