    Is it legal for this webhancer thing to be installed without you knowing?
    How can I avoid installing it?

    Thanks
    _Not_Known_, May 17, 2004

  2. _Not_Known_

    °Mike° Guest

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:26:30 +0100, in
    <40a8e7b7$0$4581$>
    _Not_Known_ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 17, 2004

  3. _Not_Known_

    Hywel Guest

    In article <40a8e7b7$0$4581$>, _Not_Known_
    says...
    > Bastards!
    >
    > Is it legal for this webhancer thing to be installed without you knowing?

    Your lax security settings authorised the software to be installed.

    > How can I avoid installing it?

    Change your browser's security settings to disallow ActiveX items to be
    installed without your permission.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, May 17, 2004
  4. "_Not_Known_" <> wrote in

    > Bastards!
    >
    > Is it legal for this webhancer thing to be installed
    > without you knowing?
    > How can I avoid installing it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yikes! Looks like you've been tard-jacked by a rapscallionous web operator.

    Must be guessing that you're using Internet Explorer, or you wood have said
    something like a clue for we the idiot-clueless that read these articles and
    try to help people who like helping themselves.

    It's not so legal. It's terribly immoral. It happens all the time. It's
    profitable with little or no recourse or retribution.

    Three things you could do:

    1) Sue them! Lots of lawyers making it to the 'good life' by going after
    Microsoft these days (never mind that it raises our prices a bit to purchase
    the softwares in the future, enhanced, bigger and better versions), so you
    could make Bill Gates the bad guy in this recurring soap opera for not
    providing you with safest of default settings; or,

    2) You could goto IE settings:

    A) Right-Click IE desktop icon > Properties
    B) Control Panel > Internet Options
    C) Open IE browser > Menu Bar > Tools > Internet Options

    a) "Advanced" tab
    b) Untick/deselect/otherwise-uncheck *ALL* (2) options
    "Install on demand ..."
    c) And then,

    3) Obtain and install some software defenses:

    A) Ad-aware v6.0 b181 (free)

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    This, installed and updated, and run frequently, will remove
    the backdoors and keys which have allowed this regretable
    situation to develop and florish on your machine.

    B) SpywareBlaster v3.1 (free)

    This, installed and maintained with updates, will prevent most
    of these nepharious meanderings by reprehensible neanderthals.
    Bucky Breeder, May 17, 2004