    Looking for feedback on these people. Just had two days of hellish
    incompetence and fubar. Are there any positive experiences?
    , Oct 13, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Looking for feedback on these people. Just had two days of hellish
    > incompetence and fubar. Are there any positive experiences?

    You mean from www.webdrive.com, the FTP client that looks like a drive
    letter on your computer?

    I use this and have no problems. I have it mapping a drive from one of the
    Geekzone servers - it's very convenient and it's ok for the sort of work.

    If it's not it, then let me know...

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Oct 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Looking for feedback on these people. Just had two days of hellish
    > > incompetence and fubar. Are there any positive experiences?
    > >

    > You mean from www.webdrive.com, the FTP client that looks like a drive
    > letter on your computer?
    >
    > I use this and have no problems. I have it mapping a drive from one of the
    > Geekzone servers - it's very convenient and it's ok for the sort of work.
    >
    > If it's not it, then let me know...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mauricio Freitas
    > www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    > www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
    > Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    > Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    These folk: http://www.webdrive.co.nz/
    , Oct 13, 2006
  4. In message <452ff4de$>, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > ... the FTP client that looks like a drive
    > letter on your computer?

    Why does it have to use up your limited store of drive letters? Why can't it
    use a directory as a mount point?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Chris Hope Guest

    wrote:

    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Looking for feedback on these people. Just had two days of hellish
    >> > incompetence and fubar. Are there any positive experiences?

    >> You mean from www.webdrive.com, the FTP client that looks like a
    >> drive letter on your computer?
    >>
    >> I use this and have no problems. I have it mapping a drive from one
    >> of the Geekzone servers - it's very convenient and it's ok for the
    >> sort of work.
    >>
    >> If it's not it, then let me know...

    > These folk: http://www.webdrive.co.nz/

    They're excellent. I've only seen good words about them here. What
    imcompetence did you experience?

    Chris Hope, Oct 14, 2006
  6. Vista Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Looking for feedback on these people. Just had two days of hellish
    >> > incompetence and fubar. Are there any positive experiences?
    >> >

    >> You mean from www.webdrive.com, the FTP client that looks like a drive
    >> letter on your computer?
    >>
    >> I use this and have no problems. I have it mapping a drive from one of
    >> the
    >> Geekzone servers - it's very convenient and it's ok for the sort of work.
    >>
    >> If it's not it, then let me know...
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Mauricio Freitas
    >> www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    >> www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
    >> Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    >> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    > These folk: http://www.webdrive.co.nz/

    I have been using them for a couple of years and have found them to be
    excellent, and the service is very reliable.
    You will need to post details if you are going to post such a comment, as it
    sounds like you are trolling.
    Vista, Oct 14, 2006
  7. El Penguino Guest

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:52:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <452ff4de$>, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> ... the FTP client that looks like a drive
    >> letter on your computer?

    >Why does it have to use up your limited store of drive letters? Why can't it
    >use a directory as a mount point?

    Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    want more than 26 drives?

    How does the 27th get labelled?
    El Penguino, Oct 14, 2006
  8. <> wrote in message

    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Looking for feedback on these people. Just had two days of hellish
    >> > incompetence and fubar. Are there any positive experiences?
    >> >

    >> You mean from www.webdrive.com, the FTP client that looks like a drive
    >> letter on your computer?
    >>

    > These folk: http://www.webdrive.co.nz/

    Oh... Thanks for the clarification.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Oct 14, 2006
  9. "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In message <452ff4de$>, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> ... the FTP client that looks like a drive
    >> letter on your computer?

    > Why does it have to use up your limited store of drive letters? Why can't
    > it
    > use a directory as a mount point?

    Because it was designed like this? I don't care, it serves my purposes. But
    it's a valid point and just need to send a feedback to the authors.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Oct 14, 2006
  10. jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-14, El Penguino <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:52:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <452ff4de$>, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... the FTP client that looks like a drive
    >>> letter on your computer?

    >>Why does it have to use up your limited store of drive letters? Why can't it
    >>use a directory as a mount point?

    > Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    > want more than 26 drives?
    >
    > How does the 27th get labelled?

    way back when it was dos they used the symbols after "Z" in the ascii
    character set. IIRC if you did "lastdrive=`" in config.sys you could have
    32 drives,

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 15, 2006
  11. Vista Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You mean from www.webdrive.com, the FTP client that looks like a
    >>> drive letter on your computer?
    >>>
    >>> I use this and have no problems. I have it mapping a drive from one
    >>> of the Geekzone servers - it's very convenient and it's ok for the
    >>> sort of work.
    >>>
    >>> If it's not it, then let me know...

    >> These folk: http://www.webdrive.co.nz/

    > They're excellent. I've only seen good words about them here. What
    > imcompetence did you experience?
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

    The orginal poster may have been a troll, possibily from a competing
    company, as they haven't replied or posted any details.
    Vista, Oct 15, 2006
  12. Phil Guest

    El Penguino wrote, On 14/10/06 2.03 p:
    > Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    > want more than 26 drives?
    >
    > How does the 27th get labelled?

    I think you're screwed. But you can use NTFS Junction Points to get
    around it.

    -Phil
    Phil, Oct 17, 2006
  13. In message <>, El Penguino wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:52:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <452ff4de$>, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... the FTP client that looks like a drive
    >>> letter on your computer?

    >>Why does it have to use up your limited store of drive letters? Why can't
    >>it use a directory as a mount point?

    > Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    > want more than 26 drives?

    Actually the limit is 24, isn't it. Since you can't use A and B.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2006
  14. In message <>, Phil wrote:

    > El Penguino wrote, On 14/10/06 2.03 p:
    >> Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    >> want more than 26 drives?
    >>
    >> How does the 27th get labelled?

    > I think you're screwed. But you can use NTFS Junction Points to get
    > around it.

    Will junction points work with anything that might otherwise need a drive
    letter?

    Why are they NTFS-specific? You'd think they'd be implemented at the level
    of the namespace subsystem, so they would work regardless of the
    particulars of the disk filesystem.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2006
  15. Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 18/10/06 12.45 a:
    > In message <>, Phil wrote:
    >
    >> El Penguino wrote, On 14/10/06 2.03 p:
    >>> Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    >>> want more than 26 drives?
    >>>
    >>> How does the 27th get labelled?

    >> I think you're screwed. But you can use NTFS Junction Points to get
    >> around it.

    > Will junction points work with anything that might otherwise need a drive
    > letter?

    No, they work between any two points on/between any local NTFS systems.
    They're NTFS's implementation of hardlinks (sort of).

    > Why are they NTFS-specific? You'd think they'd be implemented at the level
    > of the namespace subsystem, so they would work regardless of the
    > particulars of the disk filesystem.

    There's a generic Win32 function - CreateHardLink() - that works
    regardless of file system. However, since the only file system that
    Window supports that supports hard links is NTFS...

    -Phil
    Phil, Oct 18, 2006
  16. Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 18/10/06 12.44 a:
    > Actually the limit is 24, isn't it. Since you can't use A and B.

    You can under NT.

    -Phil
    Phil, Oct 18, 2006
  17. In message <>, Phil wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 18/10/06 12.45 a:

    >>> I think you're screwed. But you can use NTFS Junction Points to get
    >>> around it.

    >> Will junction points work with anything that might otherwise need a drive
    >> letter?

    > No, they work between any two points on/between any local NTFS systems.
    > They're NTFS's implementation of hardlinks (sort of).

    I wasn't thinking about hard links, I was assuming you meant the equivalent
    of *nix mount points. Information about these is kept entirely in the
    kernel virtual filesystem layer, it doesn't touch the directory on the disk
    (the contents of which remain hidden as long as the mount point remains
    mounted).

    Remember, we're talking about trying to save precious DOS/Windows drive
    letters here. That means mounting devices (or network volumes) in places
    other than drive letters.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2006
  18. Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 18/10/06 11.10 p:
    > I wasn't thinking about hard links, I was assuming you meant the equivalent
    > of *nix mount points. Information about these is kept entirely in the
    > kernel virtual filesystem layer, it doesn't touch the directory on the disk
    > (the contents of which remain hidden as long as the mount point remains
    > mounted).
    >
    > Remember, we're talking about trying to save precious DOS/Windows drive
    > letters here. That means mounting devices (or network volumes) in places
    > other than drive letters.

    Windows doesn't have in-built support for it. SFU might.

    -Phil
    Phil, Oct 18, 2006
  19. In message <egrqhe$2be$>, jasen wrote:

    > On 2006-10-14, El Penguino <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:52:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Why does it have to use up your limited store of drive letters? Why can't
    >>>it use a directory as a mount point?

    >> Not wanting to hijack the thread but what happens on windows if you
    >> want more than 26 drives?
    >>
    >> How does the 27th get labelled?

    > way back when it was dos they used the symbols after "Z" in the ascii
    > character set. IIRC if you did "lastdrive=`" in config.sys you could have
    > 32 drives,

    I suppose Microsoft's intended long-term solution to this is virtualization.
    By running multiple copies of Windows in separate virtual machines, each
    one can have its own set of drives mapped to its own set of drive letters.

    Of course, each copy of Windows will have to be separately licensed. But
    that works out to only a few dollars per drive letter, which is not bad
    value at all, considering the price of the drive you might be assigning to
    that letter. Or amortize that over 3 years, and it's just a few cents per
    drive letter per day--excellent value for such a powerful augmentation of
    your operating system functionality.

    In keeping with usual Microsoft traditions, each virtual machine will be
    assigned a machine letter. Thus, you'll have machines called A::, B:: and
    so on up to Z:: -- for a total of 26 virtual machines. Each one can have 24
    drives, plus the domain-0 machine itself can offer an additional 16 drives
    (for historical reasons too complicated to go into here). This allows for a
    total of 640 drives, which should be enough for anybody. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2006