    see my kid, and she's not too happy either. Any advice for this webcam
    newbie will be gratefully received.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Jim Beaver

    PeeCee Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    news:%Saui.56341$...
    >I travel a lot and want to be able to talk to my little girl by webcam
    >while I'm away. I've got webcams set up on my home computer and my laptop,
    >by which I mean I've hooked up the equipment and run the webcam software.
    >But I have not yet chosen or figured out how best to choose a connection
    >process. My webcams (both Logitech) recommend several possibilities
    >(Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM Triton, Logitech Video
    >Call), and each of these is labeled differently (Video Calling, Super
    >Webcam, Video Chat), but the recommendations don't elaborate on the
    >differences between these programs or the meanings of the labels.
    >
    > Are these my best choices? Any one stand out above the others? What's
    > the difference between the labels (Calling, Chat, etc.)? And if I
    > download one, will it tell me how to hook up to my existing webcam
    > situation?
    >
    > I'm tired of sitting in a hotel room for weeks on end without being able
    > to see my kid, and she's not too happy either. Any advice for this webcam
    > newbie will be gratefully received.
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Jim

    I set up a XP PC with Logitec Webcam and Headset today (both USB) then
    downloaded Skype, installed it and set it up without to much trouble.

    With the proviso your Webcam and Mic/Speakers or Headset are properly
    configured Skypes instructions to set up an account are quite straight
    forward and the Audio side should work straight away.
    For the Webcam all I had to do was go to 'Tools, Options, Video Settings' in
    Skype and tick the 'Start my video automatically when I am in a call' tick
    box, restart Skype and the video was automagically there for the next call.

    Do be aware that Firewalls can block Skype (or any other app of this type)
    The PC I did today had a particularly sluggish Norton Internet Security
    installation that took some 30 minutes to get sorted.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Aug 8, 2007