    I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
    ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?

    TIA

    Man in Yellow Hat, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Man in Yellow Hat

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:15:43 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
    <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
    >ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?
    >
    >TIA

    Can you 'push' http??
    I thought it was a pull only technology while ftp can do either. If
    you want to pull the picture via http then any simple web server
    software will allow that.

    Bruce.
    http://www.baggins.co.nz.nz

    Bruce Knox, Nov 3, 2004

  3. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:02:25 +1300, Bruce Knox <>
    says...
    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:15:43 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello
    > >
    > >I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
    > >ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?
    > >
    > >TIA

    > Can you 'push' http??
    > I thought it was a pull only technology while ftp can do either. If
    > you want to pull the picture via http then any simple web server
    > software will allow that.

    HTTP uploading is possible, if there is server support for it. However
    you could find that it's blocked by a server as well.

    Specifically, PHP and probably other scripting languages will support
    HTTP uploading, which is often used instead of FTP with free website
    hosts like Geocities. If a script receives input from a form that
    contains a "file" type of input, then the file is automatically uploaded
    and placed in a temporary folder on the server before the script is
    invoked to process the file.

    You can achieve the same sort of thing in an application by sending PUT
    or POST requests to an HTTP server using a script url as the target, and
    specifying the local filename path or whatever form the file has to be
    in.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 3, 2004
  4. It seems like Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:15:43 +1300 was when Man in Yellow
    Hat <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Hello
    >
    >I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
    >ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?
    >
    >TIA

    That may be harder to do. From my knowledge, you can't connect to a
    HTTP server in a normal way and post something, there needs to be a
    form on the webpage to accept the file, then post it, and the server
    will need like php or asp or perl or whatever to parse the form and
    actually save it to a directory and it's a lot of hassle.

    Depends, how bad do you really want this picture on the internet?
    Because I believe it'll be very difficult to do via HTTP. Have you
    tried asking your network administrator to allow FTP? I mean, it's a
    fairly important and basic protocol on the internet.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec