    What do you reckon? Is there a better model for a similar price? Am I
    asking for too much from one device?

    Cheers

    Broons Bane, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Broons Bane

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Broons Bane" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I need advice on what to buy.
    >
    > I want a webcam with audio, to use for skype calls and general msn
    > video messaging. I also would like it to double up as a wireless
    > Internet that I can use for viewing the outside of my house through a
    > window over a remote browser (with pan and tilt).
    >
    > The following device was suggested to me:
    >
    > Linksys WVC200 Wireless PTZ Internet Camera with Audio
    >
    > What do you reckon? Is there a better model for a similar price? Am I
    > asking for too much from one device?

    I'd say so, but the good news is that tethered USB cameras are very
    inexpensive. The problem is the audio. The microphone needs to be nearby
    to get good audio. You'll get better audio with a headset, or a electret
    microphone and your built-in speakers. A 30 dollar webcam will do just fine
    for skyping.

    The big problem with a wireless webcam is that you still need to get power
    to it, and you may as well have a USB cable as a power cable. If you can
    put a computer close to the camera - an old notebook for example, a cheaper
    tethered camera will work for monitoring your house. For certain
    situations, for example where the cable needs to be longer than 15 feet or
    so, a wireless camera may be the better choice.

    Other details: Microsoft offers free video broadcast software that works
    quite well.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx
    You'll also have to set your router up to allow connections to the video
    port, and have some way to map a name to your IP address, either a fixed IP,
    or a dynamic dns arrangement.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/