    Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on Linux?

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Ray Greene

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    news:drf8sh$aoc$...
    > Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    > Linux?
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene

    Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:35:32 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    >> Linux?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ray Greene

    >Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

    Slow night tonight Scrooge?

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Ray Greene

    Peter Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

    Which Linux expert said this? Linux people will be the first to concede
    that not everything runs on Linux, especially as some hardware makers will
    not part with the technical information needed to write drivers.

    Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
    manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

    Peter, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Ray Greene

    Peter Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    > Linux?

    maybe some info here?
    http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/

    otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
    If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
    stuff.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Ray Greene

    Peter Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    >> Linux?

    > maybe some info here?
    > http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/
    >
    > otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
    > If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
    > stuff.

    But see my other comment. Once the Linux marketshare is up further,
    hardware manufacturers will be able to start thumbing their noses at
    Microsoft. People buying stuff for Linux unfortunately need to check out
    how Linux compatible the item is likely to be. Unfortunately Microsoft
    seems to have been leaning in computer suppliers not to include chipset
    types in advertising to make it more difficult for prospective purchasers
    to check out Linux compatibility (video chipsets are a particular
    minefield).

    By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
    advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
    is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
    tax rules).

    Peter, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:01:50 +1300, Peter <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    >> Linux?

    >maybe some info here?
    >http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/

    Good site, better than a lot of the hardware compatibility lists.
    I like the look of the Logitech 4000 they recommend.

    >otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
    >If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
    >stuff.

    We live in hope :)

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Ray Greene

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:39:23 +1300, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    >>> Linux?

    >> maybe some info here?
    >> http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/
    >>
    >> otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
    >> If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
    >> stuff.
    >>

    >But see my other comment. Once the Linux marketshare is up further,
    >hardware manufacturers will be able to start thumbing their noses at
    >Microsoft. People buying stuff for Linux unfortunately need to check out
    >how Linux compatible the item is likely to be. Unfortunately Microsoft
    >seems to have been leaning in computer suppliers not to include chipset
    >types in advertising to make it more difficult for prospective purchasers
    >to check out Linux compatibility (video chipsets are a particular
    >minefield).

    It's all a big conspiracy!!

    It's got nothing to do with the fact that 95% of people don't know
    what a chipset is, and the marketers don't want to scare them off,
    it's all about Microsoft having their hand in all the manufacturer's
    advertising.

    >By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
    >advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
    >is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
    >tax rules).

    It's hardly a backhand - it's a well documented marketing
    subsidisation plan. In much the same way as the "Intel Inside" noise
    and images in advertising.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Ray Greene

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:54:16 +1300, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >*sling wrote:
    >

    >> Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.
    >>

    >Which Linux expert said this? Linux people will be the first to concede
    >that not everything runs on Linux, especially as some hardware makers will
    >not part with the technical information needed to write drivers.
    >
    >Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
    >manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

    LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 28, 2006
  10. Ray Greene

    Peter Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
    >>advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
    >>is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
    >>tax rules).

    > It's hardly a backhand - it's a well documented marketing
    > subsidisation plan. In much the same way as the "Intel Inside" noise
    > and images in advertising.

    It is a backhand to the extent that it limits the company receiving the
    money from supporting competing products eg selling boxes loaded with
    Linux.

    Moreover you have not acknowledged the possible taxation implications of
    such payments which very likely are not made from Microsoft (NZ) to Dell
    (NZ). It is effectively a conditional discount on what Microsoft charges
    Dell for software, but Dell may well seek a NZ tax deduction on the total
    amount, and the amount of the discount may well be arranged to maximise the
    profit taxed in Ireland or similar at low rates, so IRD in NZ is
    effectively cheated out of the tax with respect to the discount - ie the
    companies' profits are appearing in countries with lower tax rates.

    Peter, Jan 28, 2006
  11. Ray Greene

    shannon Guest

    shannon, Jan 29, 2006
  12. Ray Greene

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:41:21 +1300, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >

    >>>By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
    >>>advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
    >>>is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
    >>>tax rules).

    >> It's hardly a backhand - it's a well documented marketing
    >> subsidisation plan. In much the same way as the "Intel Inside" noise
    >> and images in advertising.

    >It is a backhand to the extent that it limits the company receiving the
    >money from supporting competing products eg selling boxes loaded with
    >Linux.

    Actually, it doesn't at all. Basically any OEM can apply to MS (or
    Intel) for a contribution toward their advertising costs. They only
    have to add a bit to their adverts, and meet certain criteria (none of
    which says they can't sell other OSs).

    Fact is, this is perfectly legitimate, and prevalent in almost every
    industry (noticed how many dairies have "coca cola" splattered on
    their signs?)

    >Moreover you have not acknowledged the possible taxation implications of
    >such payments which very likely are not made from Microsoft (NZ) to Dell
    >(NZ). It is effectively a conditional discount on what Microsoft charges
    >Dell for software, but Dell may well seek a NZ tax deduction on the total
    >amount, and the amount of the discount may well be arranged to maximise the
    >profit taxed in Ireland or similar at low rates, so IRD in NZ is
    >effectively cheated out of the tax with respect to the discount - ie the
    >companies' profits are appearing in countries with lower tax rates.

    Well maybe Clark should acknowledge that we are in a global economy,
    and reduce our taxes accordingly, but that's a different thread...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 29, 2006
  13. Ray Greene

    steve Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:35:32 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
    >>> Linux?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ray Greene

    >>Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

    > Slow night tonight Scrooge?

    Scrooge is just slow......any night.

    steve, Jan 29, 2006
  14. Ray Greene

    Peter Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Actually, it doesn't at all. Basically any OEM can apply to MS (or
    > Intel) for a contribution toward their advertising costs. They only
    > have to add a bit to their adverts, and meet certain criteria (none of
    > which says they can't sell other OSs).

    I understand from other threads elsewhere that Microsoft is quite prepared
    to halt such payments to OEM's etc who dare to sell machines loaded with
    other OS'es and hardware items labelled as being suitable for Linux.

    If Microsoft chooses to withhold these payments at its whims, it is almost
    impossible for the other party to force Microsoft to pay up by legal or
    other means.

    > Fact is, this is perfectly legitimate, and prevalent in almost every
    > industry (noticed how many dairies have "coca cola" splattered on
    > their signs?)
    >
    >>Moreover you have not acknowledged the possible taxation implications of
    >>such payments which very likely are not made from Microsoft (NZ) to Dell
    >>(NZ). It is effectively a conditional discount on what Microsoft charges
    >>Dell for software, but Dell may well seek a NZ tax deduction on the total
    >>amount, and the amount of the discount may well be arranged to maximise
    >>the profit taxed in Ireland or similar at low rates, so IRD in NZ is
    >>effectively cheated out of the tax with respect to the discount - ie the
    >>companies' profits are appearing in countries with lower tax rates.
    >>

    > Well maybe Clark should acknowledge that we are in a global economy,
    > and reduce our taxes accordingly, but that's a different thread...

    No. NZ and various other countries have had a guts full of their revenues
    being cheated in this manner and are starting to do something about it.
    They just cannot afford to bring rates down to tax haven rates (companies
    using tax havens 'report' as much profit as possible in these havens, so
    there is very high business turnover , but on paper only, which at a low
    tax rate provides enough revenue income for the haven).

    Peter, Jan 29, 2006
  15. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    Ray Greene, Jan 29, 2006
  16. Ray Greene

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
    > manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

    That is true.

    steve, Jan 29, 2006
  17. Ray Greene

    steve Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:54:16 +1300, Peter <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>*sling wrote:
    >>

    >>> Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.
    >>>

    >>Which Linux expert said this? Linux people will be the first to concede
    >>that not everything runs on Linux, especially as some hardware makers will
    >>not part with the technical information needed to write drivers.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
    >>manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

    > LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs...

    It's not funny. It's true.

    steve, Jan 29, 2006
  18. Ray Greene

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:17:41 +1300, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, it doesn't at all. Basically any OEM can apply to MS (or
    >> Intel) for a contribution toward their advertising costs. They only
    >> have to add a bit to their adverts, and meet certain criteria (none of
    >> which says they can't sell other OSs).

    >I understand from other threads elsewhere that Microsoft is quite prepared
    >to halt such payments to OEM's etc who dare to sell machines loaded with
    >other OS'es and hardware items labelled as being suitable for Linux.
    >
    >If Microsoft chooses to withhold these payments at its whims, it is almost
    >impossible for the other party to force Microsoft to pay up by legal or
    >other means.

    Bollocks. Really, that conspiracy theory trash doesn't deserve further
    response.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 29, 2006
  19. Ray Greene

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:46:36 +1300, steve
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:54:16 +1300, Peter <>
    >> exclaimed:

    >>>Which Linux expert said this? Linux people will be the first to concede
    >>>that not everything runs on Linux, especially as some hardware makers will
    >>>not part with the technical information needed to write drivers.
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
    >>>manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

    >> LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs...

    >It's not funny. It's true.

    It is funny, and it's conspiracy theory bullshit.

    Dell don't provide systems with Linux, because Linux is not suitable
    for their target market.

    People who like Linux prefer to install it themselves, anyway, to
    choose the most appropriate options for their circumstances.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 29, 2006

    http://searchapj.dell.com/results.aspx?k=linux&c=nz

    Mark Robinson, Jan 29, 2006