    relatively inexpensive (i.e. cheaper than the $130 one on the apple site).
    Thanks in advance.

    bob
    bob, Feb 24, 2008

  2. bob

    Paul Guest

    bob wrote:
    > What's a good compatible webcam for a 3 yr old iMac (OS 10.4), and
    > relatively inexpensive (i.e. cheaper than the $130 one on the apple site).
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > bob

    "macam"
    http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php
    http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/faqs.html

    "Topic : Webcam for Mac Pro?"
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1383980&tstart=0

    Maybe a further look at discussions.apple.com would dig up more info.

    USB Video Class (UVC) support - rightmost column.
    http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5336

    Some UVC support added in 10.4.9
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=888035&tstart=0

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class
    "Mac OS X ships with a UVC driver included since version 10.4.3,
    updated in 10.4.9 to work with iChat."

    http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/configs.html

    UVC would add the most basic of functions for a camera. If
    a camera had special functions, like PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom),
    that might require extra software. So if you see a highly
    featured camera, perhaps not all its features would be
    supported (face tracking).

    Another issue, is whether the Mac in question, has USB2 or USB 1.1.
    The latter has less bandwidth to offer, and I don't know right off
    hand, what resolution would be supported by USB 1.1. But at least,
    looking at the following ZIP file with USB documentation in it, it
    looks like some compressed video formats are supported. Now, when
    they say the Mac has a UVC driver, that doesn't necessarily mean
    everything in this spec is supported.

    http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1.zip

    So check the iMac, and see what USB capability it has.
    Plenty more research to do...

    Buying stuff for a Mac, is like preparing for a Shuttle launch :)
    (I can say that, because I own one.) The last time I used video
    on a Mac, I actually had to use PCIpeek application, to program
    some hardware so it would work. Yes, that was fun.

    Finally, I tried macsales.com (I've bought a bunch of stuff from
    them over the years), and this is what they offer for a webcam.

    Creative Live! Cam Optia AF. Autofocusing USB 2.0 2.0MP Webcam.
    1600x1200 Resolution. 1 Year Warranty. $96
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Creative Labs/VF0280/

    It is a UVC camera according to this. Notice the "30FPS" is for
    USB2 operation. I'd want to see some sample captures, before
    falling for the hype.

    http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=16425&nav=1

    Have fun,
    Paul