    holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
    Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
    middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

    Gib Bogle, Oct 6, 2008

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    P.S. The Vodaphone speed test consistently gives about 2200 kbps
    download speed. How good/bad is this?

    Gib Bogle, Oct 6, 2008

  3. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gcchut$aik$>,
    says...
    > Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
    > my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
    > frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
    > download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume.
    > Consequently I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This
    > happens about half the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is
    > with Ihug/Vodaphone.
    >
    > I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    > holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
    > Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
    > middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

    A packet sniffer like Wireshark should tell you whether data is still
    trying to come in.

    http://www.wireshark.org/

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 7, 2008
  4. In message <gcchut$aik$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    > holdup.

    Always helps to check out different things, to isolate the common factor.
    Have you tried using youtube-dl to download the problem videos? If that
    works, then your problem is browser-plugin-specific. If it hangs too, then
    it's lower down.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2008
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gcchut$aik$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    >> holdup.

    > Always helps to check out different things, to isolate the common factor.
    > Have you tried using youtube-dl to download the problem videos? If that
    > works, then your problem is browser-plugin-specific. If it hangs too, then
    > it's lower down.

    Good advice. I didn't know about youtube-dl, will try it.

    See my post below.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 7, 2008
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
    > my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
    > frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
    > download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
    > I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
    > the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
    >
    > I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    > holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
    > Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
    > middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

    I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/olbermann-special-comment_n_132456.html
    ) the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
    talking about playing part of the video that has already been
    downloaded. When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky
    playback, a few seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data
    to download. This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic!
    Normally I expect video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is
    badly wrong somewhere.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 7, 2008
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-07, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
    >> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
    >> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
    >> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
    >> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
    >> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    >> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
    >> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
    >> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

    > I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
    > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/olbermann-special-comment_n_132456.html
    > ) the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
    > talking about playing part of the video that has already been
    > downloaded. When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky
    > playback, a few seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data
    > to download. This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic!
    > Normally I expect video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is
    > badly wrong somewhere.

    Indeed. You need to find what other processes are consuming your CPU. Find
    it and kill it. This is

    Gordon, Oct 8, 2008
  8. Gib Bogle

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
    >>> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
    >>> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
    >>> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
    >>> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
    >>> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    >>> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
    >>> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
    >>> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

    >> I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
    >> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/olbermann-special-comment_n_132456.html )
    >> the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
    >> talking about playing part of the video that has already been downloaded.
    >> When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky playback, a few
    >> seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data to download.
    >> This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic! Normally I expect
    >> video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is badly wrong
    >> somewhere.

    > Interestingly I can play this clip with IE - just. It takes about 90% of
    > the CPU, but does play without stops. Apparently the IE version of Flash
    > is a bit more efficient than the Firefox version, but even 90% of CPU
    > seems over the top to me for a video that is only about 4"x3".

    X2 4200 41 processes running Cpu usage flicking between 2% and 10%

    Craig Sutton, Oct 8, 2008
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Oct 8, 2008
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-10-07, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
    >>> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
    >>> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
    >>> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
    >>> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
    >>> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    >>> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
    >>> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
    >>> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

    >> I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
    >> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/olbermann-special-comment_n_132456.html
    >> ) the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
    >> talking about playing part of the video that has already been
    >> downloaded. When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky
    >> playback, a few seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data
    >> to download. This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic!
    >> Normally I expect video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is
    >> badly wrong somewhere.

    > Indeed. You need to find what other processes are consuming your CPU. Find
    > it and kill it. This is

    Task Manager shows Firefox using all the CPU.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 8, 2008
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gcchut$aik$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
    >> holdup.

    > Always helps to check out different things, to isolate the common factor.
    > Have you tried using youtube-dl to download the problem videos? If that
    > works, then your problem is browser-plugin-specific. If it hangs too, then
    > it's lower down.

    Hi Lawrence,

    Since this machine runs Windows (no Python installed) I installed a
    different youtube downloader. It turns out to be almost impossible to
    download a complete youtube video. I think this means the problem is
    with my Vodafone connection. The DSL speed tester shows 2200 kbs
    download rate from the Vodafone server, but apparently there are
    intermittent delays (lost packets?) that cause the youtube connection to
    be broken. Is it worth complaining to Vodafone? I suspect not.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 9, 2008