    visit tell the owner or webmaster where I'm from?

    If I only stay three seconds and then leave, does that information
    remain on their record?
    MOB, Oct 25, 2004

  2. In article <>, on Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:09:47 -0400, MOB
    <> wrote:

    | Yesterday I was surfing on the net and when I opened a particular
    | website, I saw words to this effect: "my computer geek tells me that
    | you're visiting us from ---my city--, ---my state---.
    |
    | I wasn't happy to see that. I'm wondering now, do all webpages that I
    | visit tell the owner or webmaster where I'm from?

    No, probably not all, but...

    If

    The web servers in question are configured to have logging enabled
    with the right options then one of the logged items can be the remote
    ip address of whoever is making a request of the web server (ie you)

    And

    If your isp provides reverse dns for your internet connection in such a way
    that your city, state can be figured out from your ip address

    Then

    If the owner/webmaster bothers to read the logs and does the reverse dns
    lookup (which can be automated) he/she would know where you are from.

    | If I only stay three seconds and then leave, does that information
    | remain on their record?

    Potentially, see above.

    If you are really paranoid and don't want this information to be available
    then use one of more anonymous proxies (more than one would need to be chained
    together in some way.

    If you are really, really paranoid then of course you would have to believe
    that anonymous proxies are not really anonymous.

    If you are really, really, really paranoid then don't have an internet connection
    and remember to wear your tin foil hat (shiny side out) :)

    Further reading:

    Privacy and Anonymity

    * https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main-nf.htm Eric Howes' Privacy & Security Page
    * http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm Munge your email address
    * http://www.privacy.net All about privacy
    * http://www.cotse.com Well known privacy/security portal
    * http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers Anonymity, privacy and security
    * http://www.anonymizer.com Free, anonymous web surfing
    * http://www.idzap.com IDSecure service
    * http://www.privacy.org News, information and action
    * http://www.samspade.org/t Sam Spade Tools
    * http://www.pgpi.org International PGP homepage
    * http://www.hushmail.com Encryptable web-mail
    * http://www.skuz.net/potatoware Anonymity software
    * http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs REALLY delete your data
    * http://www.safeproxy.org Anonymous access
    * http://www.rewebber.de Web privacy
    * http://mikhed.narod.ru/en/free_proxy/cgi-proxy.htm Web anonymiser list
    * http://www.proxyblind.org Proxy resource
    * http://www.ziplip.com Encrypted web-mail and messaging

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill
    David Postill, Oct 25, 2004

  3. MOB

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:09:47 -0400, MOB <> wrote:

    >Yesterday I was surfing on the net and when I opened a particular
    >website, I saw words to this effect: "my computer geek tells me that
    >you're visiting us from ---my city--, ---my state---.

    Take a look at
    http://www.geobytes.com/

    >I wasn't happy to see that. I'm wondering now, do all webpages that I
    >visit tell the owner or webmaster where I'm from?

    You IP address is generally logged. Thats how they know

    >If I only stay three seconds and then leave, does that information
    >remain on their record?

    Most likely. Does it matter?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 25, 2004
  4. MOB

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    MOB <> wrote:

    >Yesterday I was surfing on the net and when I opened a particular
    >website, I saw words to this effect: "my computer geek tells me that
    >you're visiting us from ---my city--, ---my state---.
    >
    >I wasn't happy to see that. I'm wondering now, do all webpages that I
    >visit tell the owner or webmaster where I'm from?
    >
    >If I only stay three seconds and then leave, does that information
    >remain on their record?

    Anything that they can determine within the timeframe of your visit
    CAN be 'On Record'. And YES, there is a way to determine the exact
    location of a visitor within seconds of their arrival. This is how
    on-line gaming hosts determine that you are allowed to play. There
    are laws against gaming across state lines, therefore the gaming hosts
    MUST know where you are located.

    Further, this method of determining your whereabouts is limited. They
    cannot determine your house address, nor what you are wearing ;)
    Celtic Leroy, Oct 25, 2004
  5. MOB

    Mimic Guest

    MOB wrote:

    > Yesterday I was surfing on the net and when I opened a particular
    > website, I saw words to this effect: "my computer geek tells me that
    > you're visiting us from ---my city--, ---my state---.
    >
    > I wasn't happy to see that. I'm wondering now, do all webpages that I
    > visit tell the owner or webmaster where I'm from?
    >
    > If I only stay three seconds and then leave, does that information
    > remain on their record?

    You mean like Nashua NH ?
    I was in NH last year, in brookline, great location for a horror film :p

    Anyway, yeah, its easier to tell with americans cuz like you IP reverses
    to like blahblah.nashua.nh.comcast.net kinda thing :p

    --
    Mimic

    "The voices have stopped now. But they had some good ideas."
    "Pain is free and there to be enjoyed."
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== [ www.hidemyemail.net ]
    Mimic, Oct 26, 2004
  6. MOB

    Mimic Guest

    Celtic Leroy wrote:

    > MOB <> wrote:
    >

    >>Yesterday I was surfing on the net and when I opened a particular
    >>website, I saw words to this effect: "my computer geek tells me that
    >>you're visiting us from ---my city--, ---my state---.
    >>
    >>I wasn't happy to see that. I'm wondering now, do all webpages that I
    >>visit tell the owner or webmaster where I'm from?
    >>
    >>If I only stay three seconds and then leave, does that information
    >>remain on their record?

    > Anything that they can determine within the timeframe of your visit
    > CAN be 'On Record'. And YES, there is a way to determine the exact
    > location of a visitor within seconds of their arrival. This is how
    > on-line gaming hosts determine that you are allowed to play. There
    > are laws against gaming across state lines, therefore the gaming hosts
    > MUST know where you are located.
    >
    > Further, this method of determining your whereabouts is limited. They
    > cannot determine your house address, nor what you are wearing ;)

    uh no, it doesnt work like that, the rdns shows you the location and
    thats purely based on the way the provider displays the host addresses.
    Gameservers decided if you can play or not based on a ping response so
    you dont slow down their game if yours is too high.
    The only way to give an exact location is to run a trace from the
    telephone exchange which would give you the distance from the exchange,
    however this would give you a big ol circle, and if youre in a built up
    area it might take some time to locat eyour position, of course if youre
    the only house on the line its easier hehe ;P

    Mimic, Oct 26, 2004
  7. MOB

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:54:30 +0100, Mimic <> wrote:

    >The only way to give an exact location is to run a trace from the
    >telephone exchange which would give you the distance from the exchange,
    >however this would give you a big ol circle, and if youre in a built up
    >area it might take some time to locat eyour position, of course if youre
    >the only house on the line its easier hehe

    I think you are assuming we all use dial up :)

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 26, 2004
  8. MOB

    Hugh Ekeberg Guest

    You are not anonymous when you surf the net and sending e-mail is not
    private communications. To be anonymous you need to connect through a proxy
    and subscribe to a service which provides secure tunnelling.

    To send private e-mail you need encryption. There are many levels of privacy
    and encryption depending on your needs.

    Checkout an informative faq by Dr Who at the alt.privacy.anon-server news
    group.

    Hugh Ekeberg, Oct 26, 2004
  9. MOB

    Mimic Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:54:30 +0100, Mimic <> wrote:
    >

    >>The only way to give an exact location is to run a trace from the
    >>telephone exchange which would give you the distance from the exchange,
    >>however this would give you a big ol circle, and if youre in a built up
    >>area it might take some time to locat eyour position, of course if youre
    >>the only house on the line its easier hehe

    > I think you are assuming we all use dial up :)
    >

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    hehe makes a change from people assuming i have anything mor etha 4kb/s
    download :(

    Fucking BT, i hate them with a passion. And they will pay for their
    bastardness

    Mimic, Oct 27, 2004