    Thanks for reading..
    Kevin T
    , Aug 24, 2004

  2. Harry Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have a parallel port interface monitoring & controlling some external
    > equipment.
    > I have written the software that runs it, it is a windows executable
    > running under
    > Windows 98SE. The machine running this software is on my network which
    > runs
    > TCP / IP. I wish to monitor & control the hardware via a web page across
    > my network and perhaps across the internet., perhaps using XITAMI web
    > server, or something similar.
    > XITAMI supports CGI etc, and is free.
    > My question is:
    > By what means do I pass control instructions and data from my webpage to
    > the software and back.? I mean what language/protocol/mechanism etc.?

    You should have your program listen on port 80 and implement a
    basic HTTP server. Not very difficult, only have to understand
    simple commands like "GET xxxx HTTP/1.1" etc.

    Then you can href from other web pages to it.
    Harry, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:40:48 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have a parallel port interface monitoring & controlling some external
    >> equipment.

    snip
    >> My question is:
    >> By what means do I pass control instructions and data from my webpage to
    >> the software and back.? I mean what language/protocol/mechanism etc.?

    >You should have your program listen on port 80 and implement a
    >basic HTTP server. Not very difficult, only have to understand
    >simple commands like "GET xxxx HTTP/1.1" etc.
    >Then you can href from other web pages to it.

    Thanks Harry, I'm off to Google as we speak.
    Kevin T
    , Aug 25, 2004
  4. Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have a parallel port interface monitoring & controlling some external
    > equipment.
    > I have written the software that runs it, it is a windows executable
    > running under
    > Windows 98SE. The machine running this software is on my network which
    > runs
    > TCP / IP. I wish to monitor & control the hardware via a web page across
    > my network and perhaps across the internet., perhaps using XITAMI web
    > server, or something similar.
    > XITAMI supports CGI etc, and is free.
    > My question is:
    > By what means do I pass control instructions and data from my webpage to
    > the software and back.? I mean what language/protocol/mechanism etc.?
    >
    > Thanks for reading..
    > Kevin T

    Developing ISAPI extensions for IIS is not too difficult if you have C++
    experience. You could run a web server on the controlling computer, and as
    long as that web server can pass request processing to an ISAPI extension
    you can control the hardware. You also use something like PHP to control it
    as well.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 25, 2004
  5. <> wrote in message
    > I have a parallel port interface monitoring & controlling some external
    > equipment.
    > I have written the software that runs it, it is a windows executable
    > running under
    > Windows 98SE. The machine running this software is on my network which
    > runs
    > TCP / IP. I wish to monitor & control the hardware via a web page across
    > my network
    > and perhaps across the internet., perhaps using XITAMI web server, or
    > something similar.
    > XITAMI supports CGI etc, and is free.
    > My question is:
    > By what means do I pass control instructions and data from my webpage to
    > the software and back.? I mean what language/protocol/mechanism etc.?

    Displaying output from the program is just a matter of calling it from the
    web server (at least, with apache it is) and making sure that it is printing
    to STDOUT. You will need to print an http header something like
    other than that it works just like output to the command line.

    For the input, there is probably a package for whatever language you are
    using that will allow you to process html forms. In perl you can either use
    the CGI package or you can extract the information directly from some $ENV
    variables. Most likely these same variables will exist in whatever language
    you are using with probably a slightly different naming. You can also use
    GET to send commands directly from the URL.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:48:27 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have a parallel port interface monitoring & controlling some external
    >> equipment.
    >> I have written the software that runs it, it is a windows executable
    >> running under
    >> Windows 98SE. The machine running this software is on my network which
    >> runs

    snip
    >> Kevin T

    >Developing ISAPI extensions for IIS is not too difficult if you have C++
    >experience. You could run a web server on the controlling computer, and as
    >long as that web server can pass request processing to an ISAPI extension
    >you can control the hardware. You also use something like PHP to control it
    >as well.
    >Allistar.

    >Displaying output from the program is just a matter of calling it from the
    >web server (at least, with apache it is) and making sure that it is printing
    >to STDOUT. You will need to print an http header something like
    >other than that it works just like output to the command line.
    >Andrew Bryson

    Thanks Allistar & Andrew, I appreciate the pointers, I'll let you know where they take me..
    Regards, Kevin T
    , Aug 28, 2004