Web site that ties up my processor - any ideas?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Just curious about something that happened this evening.
    I had read a comment on usenet about someone called Languy99 who does
    reviews on computer topics.

    I did a google search for languy99 and clicked on a link that took me to a
    site - http://wn.com/languy99

    While I was waiting for the page to load I flicked back to my usenet
    session and forgot about the browser.

    Soon I noticed that the noise of the fan in my computer had increased
    significantly.

    Later, when I closed down my newsreader, I found myself looking at the
    browser again. The page just showed a lot of links to articles and, not
    having the time to investigate, I just closed down the tab for that site.

    Almost immediately, the noise of the computer fan dropped to normal level.

    So I started Task Manager (Win XP) and opened the http://wn.com/languy99
    page again.

    Fan speed immediately went up, and Task Manager showed page file usage up
    to near 100%. Closing down the page showed page file usage down to near
    zero, and fan speed back down again.

    wonder what this site was doing?

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Jan 4, 2011

  2. John S

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:03:37 +1300, in message <>
    John S wrote:

    > Just curious about something that happened this evening.
    > I had read a comment on usenet about someone called Languy99 who does
    > reviews on computer topics.
    >
    > I did a google search for languy99 and clicked on a link that took me to a
    > site - http://wn.com/languy99
    >
    > While I was waiting for the page to load I flicked back to my usenet
    > session and forgot about the browser.
    >
    > Soon I noticed that the noise of the fan in my computer had increased
    > significantly.
    >
    > Later, when I closed down my newsreader, I found myself looking at the
    > browser again. The page just showed a lot of links to articles and, not
    > having the time to investigate, I just closed down the tab for that site.

    A. Are we looking at the same web page?

    When I go to http://wn.com/languy99 I see a big Flash video in the
    middle of the page. Yet, you wrote, "The page just showed a lot of
    links to articles".

    B. The page at http://wn.com/languy99 has different 'layers' (click one of
    "Videos", "Images", "Video Details", "WN Presents" in the black bar).

    The Flash is in the first 'layer' that opens ("Videos") but will consume
    CPU even if you selected another 'layer'. That is because the 'layers'
    are not different web pages and not different frames. They are all
    loaded together in the one web page.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jan 4, 2011

  3. John S

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    lid, John S says...

    > Just curious about something that happened this evening.
    > I had read a comment on usenet about someone called Languy99 who does
    > reviews on computer topics.
    >
    > I did a google search for languy99 and clicked on a link that took me to a
    > site - http://wn.com/languy99
    >
    > While I was waiting for the page to load I flicked back to my usenet
    > session and forgot about the browser.
    >
    > Soon I noticed that the noise of the fan in my computer had increased
    > significantly.
    >
    > Later, when I closed down my newsreader, I found myself looking at the
    > browser again. The page just showed a lot of links to articles and, not
    > having the time to investigate, I just closed down the tab for that site.
    >
    > Almost immediately, the noise of the computer fan dropped to normal level.
    >
    > So I started Task Manager (Win XP) and opened the http://wn.com/languy99
    > page again.
    >
    > Fan speed immediately went up, and Task Manager showed page file usage up
    > to near 100%. Closing down the page showed page file usage down to near
    > zero, and fan speed back down again.
    >
    > wonder what this site was doing?

    Pretty normal here on Chrome or IE8. Just about the whole page is "in"
    javascript - I didn't look at the script, but often that's a source of
    high local CPU usage.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 4, 2011
  4. John S

    John S Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:32:05 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:03:37 +1300, in message <>
    > John S wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious about something that happened this evening.
    >> I had read a comment on usenet about someone called Languy99 who does
    >> reviews on computer topics.
    >>
    >> I did a google search for languy99 and clicked on a link that took me to a
    >> site - http://wn.com/languy99

    snip ..

    > A. Are we looking at the same web page?
    >
    > When I go to http://wn.com/languy99 I see a big Flash video in the
    > middle of the page. Yet, you wrote, "The page just showed a lot of
    > links to articles".
    >

    > B. The page at http://wn.com/languy99 has different 'layers' (click one of
    > "Videos", "Images", "Video Details", "WN Presents" in the black bar).
    >
    > The Flash is in the first 'layer' that opens ("Videos") but will consume
    > CPU even if you selected another 'layer'. That is because the 'layers'
    > are not different web pages and not different frames. They are all
    > loaded together in the one web page.

    Sorry - forgot to mention that I don't have flash installed - I understand
    it's a security risk?

    Cheers

    John S

    John S, Jan 5, 2011
  5. John S

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 23:17:07 +1300, in message <9axy37y52jxy$>
    John S wrote:

    > forgot to mention that I don't have flash installed - I understand
    > it's a security risk?

    That rules out flash as the CPU hog in your case ...

    --
    Regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jan 6, 2011