  1. How secure are your pictures on a web site? Can't anyone download your
    pics?. How do you prevent that from happening and just have it so viewing is
    allowed only?.
    lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll, Nov 15, 2003

  2. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Canopus Guest

    "lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll" <> wrote in message
    > How secure are your pictures on a web site? Can't anyone download your
    > pics?. How do you prevent that from happening and just have it so viewing

    is
    > allowed only?.

    If you can see them then you can save or capture them. If you are worried
    about copyright then either do not put them up or else make sure they are
    not high definition pictures with a note that anyone who wishes to use them
    for commercial purposes request a high definition picture from
    you,permission to publish, levy a fee if required and stipulate that they
    should include a note of who the original artist/photographer was.

    Copyright is a complicated subject, however, everything you create is
    automatically copyrighted. Use Google to research copyright.

    Rob
    Canopus, Nov 15, 2003

  3. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    M. George Guest

    > If you can see them then you can save or capture them.

    Thats it. Many webdesigner forget there are other browsers and os on earth
    than from Redmond.
    Funny to see the behaviour of IE-designed site with an applebrowser.

    Ciao
    M. George, Nov 15, 2003
  4. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:15:41 GMT, "lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll"
    <> wrote:

    >How secure are your pictures on a web site? Can't anyone download your
    >pics?. How do you prevent that from happening and just have it so viewing is
    >allowed only?.

    They are not secure at all. By virtue of the viewer seeing the
    picture, it is already downloaded into his computer. That is the way
    Internet works. All he has to do is right click on the image, select
    Copy or Save, he/she can store it away easily. (Or if he/she has the
    inclination, they can trawl through the 'Temporary Internet Files'
    directory and dig 'em out of there!)

    You can add a watermark but that only identifies the picture as yours
    etc... so that you can take the legal redress with all the hassle (and
    costs) involved.

    If you want to show a picture on your web site, I suggest that you do
    not upload a full blown original, rather, make a smaller version of
    say 300 - 400 pix over the widest side. Unless you have a compelling
    reason to put up a big picture 800pix and above, it is user friendly
    to keep the image size down. Image size equates to file size and
    follows the inverse square law. (Half the dimensions of the image,
    quarters the file size and makes the image 4 times quicker to
    download)

    Alternatively, you can always over-print the image with your name.
    That has the disadvantage of detracting from the image and it can , in
    many cases, be overcome.

    Regretfully, the only real way of protecting your images is NOT to
    publish them on Internet.

    I everyone took this stance, the www would be a drab place. Plagiarism
    will go on. That is the way of it. Publish and be damned!

    Good luck...

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Nov 15, 2003
  5. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:15:41 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "lll llllllll lll
    lllllllllllll" <> wrote:

    >How secure are your pictures on a web site? Can't anyone download your
    >pics?. How do you prevent that from happening and just have it so viewing is
    >allowed only?.

    In reality, if you don't want someone to download them, DON'T put them out
    on the web.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Nov 15, 2003
  6. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Mxsmanic Guest

    lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll writes:

    > How secure are your pictures on a web site?

    They aren't.

    > Can't anyone download your pics?

    Anyone can download them, yes.

    > How do you prevent that from happening and just have it so viewing is
    > allowed only?

    You don't. It cannot be done. If they can see it, they can make a copy
    of it.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 15, 2003
  7. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Jeff Guest

    > How secure are your pictures on a web site? Can't anyone download your
    > pics?. How do you prevent that from happening and just have it so
    > viewing is allowed only?.

    If they can see the pictures on the page, they are already "downloaded" as
    part of the browser's display of the page.
    I'm not sure of the details, but I have seen pay-per-view websites that use
    javascript to disable right-clicking an image to save it. Even then the
    image file may be in the Temporary Internet Files folder for them to copy
    if the user is aware of this method.
    Jeff, Nov 15, 2003
  8. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Jeff <> wrote:

    > I'm not sure of the details, but I have seen pay-per-view websites that use
    > javascript to disable right-clicking an image to save it. Even then the
    > image file may be in the Temporary Internet Files folder for them to copy
    > if the user is aware of this method.

    It doesn't work anyway. That is, it only works against people who think
    that you have to right-click to save the image, who leave Javascript
    enabled, and who use particular browsers. The tricks to disable right-click
    are idiotic and a total waste of time.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Nov 15, 2003
  9. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Todd Cary Guest

    I saw one Wedding Picture site where the right click was blocked -
    brought up a dialog (some JavaScript). Not sure how secure that is, but
    it appears to make it difficult for the average user.

    Todd

    Todd Cary, Nov 15, 2003
  10. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Rich Guest

    yes - if right click is disabled just left click the image and drag it up to
    the address bar. when the '+' appears drop it and save the image from there
    bingo

    have a go on my site if you wish.

    www.digitalmood.co.uk

    but remember the images are copyrighted :)

    Rich, Nov 15, 2003
  11. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Todd Cary Guest

    I rechecked the site and they have both right and left disabled. Sure
    there is some easy way around it.....

    Todd

    Todd Cary, Nov 16, 2003
  12. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Todd Cary writes:

    > I rechecked the site and they have both right and left disabled. Sure
    > there is some easy way around it.....

    Turn off Javascript.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 16, 2003
  13. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    PlaneGuy Guest

    or Shift-Print Scrn (or if they disable that, use of any manner of screen
    grabbers, that web based applications CANNOT disable)
    PlaneGuy, Nov 16, 2003
  14. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Len Guest

    Let us have the link and we can try.

    Len

    Len, Nov 16, 2003
  15. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    CSM1 Guest

    "Todd Cary" <> wrote in message
    > I saw one Wedding Picture site where the right click was blocked -
    > brought up a dialog (some JavaScript). Not sure how secure that is, but
    > it appears to make it difficult for the average user.

    Very easy to defeat. Just turn off JavaScript in your browser and refresh
    the page.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Nov 16, 2003
  16. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:19 GMT, Todd Cary <>
    wrote:

    >I rechecked the site and they have both right and left disabled. Sure
    >there is some easy way around it.....

    Top menu...View/source

    Edit/Save As and pick over the page and images off line at will!

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Nov 16, 2003
  17. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    Matt Guest

    The most that can be achieved is to make life difficult for anyone who
    would abuse published content ... stopping someone screendumping from
    your website, is about as impossible as stopping someone scanning from
    a book.

    1. While copyright is automatic, it's worth reminding viewers that the
    images are copyright, and ensuring that you have something to back up
    your claim.

    2. Watermarking - or in extreme cases, overprinting

    3. Probably the best anti-save tactic is dicing

    4. And finally, don't expose anything higher than "web quality" online

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Nov 18, 2003
  18. lll llllllll lll lllllllllllll

    WMAS 1960 Guest

    Basically put,

    1.) don't use large pictures on the internet. The web and your computer screen
    are not very demanding so there isn't a lot of value in posting pictures too
    large. Besides, larger pictures will take up more FTP space, bandwidth and
    will take longer to download, especially by those with older computers and
    dialup. Keep the pictures lower resolution and more managable. If you want to
    put a couple or a few pictures on a single page it can be done at 640x480 or
    320x 240 or some other similar size.

    2.) Watermark your images. In a professional and discreet way, put a
    semi-opaque credit line on your pictures along the side or bottom edge. You
    don't need to put them accross the middle. Put them, nicely, inside your edges
    so that they can't be cut off without effecting the quality of the image. Of
    course a determined thief can cut them off, blurr them or airbrush them out.
    I usually put mine on the bottom of a horizontal and in the right corner or
    along the right edge near the top of a vertical. Put your name or other
    identifying information in the caption. This would be equivelant to your
    artist signature. You might put your name or Artistic ID and the date.

    3.) copyright your images. Periodically put together a CD with your images
    that you post and send that to the Library of Congress with the required
    application and fee. You can copyright as many images as you want or can fit
    on a CD for a single fee. If you have something especially special that you
    want to protect, copyright more frequently or make a special filing. See
    www.loc.gov/copyright for more information.

    4.) Put a copyright notice under your photos, or on the same page with them.
    That way you can head off the excuse, I didn't know it was a copyrighted
    photo.

    5.) I use .jpg on my website and when I save them, photoshop asks me to select
    a quality, (level of compression). For my better photos for my use or for
    printing... I use a high quality setting (low compression) (12 of 12 in
    photoshop). However for the web, I select the lower quality (High Compression)
    (3 of 12 in Photoshop). By selecting the lower quality you accomplish a few
    things. Being less demanding The WEB will still display your pictures OK. The
    higher compression will save storage space on your FTP site, will require less
    time to upload or download, will consume less bandwidth and lastly will make
    the photos less usefull when downloaded, manipulated and recopied.

    By doing the above, you won't stop people but you will keep your pictures
    usable for your needs and will make them less desirable for someone to steal.

    If you should ever have to assert your rights in court, keep a full size high
    quality (low compression) copy of all your pictures then down size them to a
    NEW COPY for use on the web. That way anyone who would infringe on your rights
    will be limited to a wallet size print of your picture attached to their court
    documents and or the, say, 320 x 240 file from the computer. You can attach a
    high quality 8x10 of your image and have the 1024 x 768 file to show that you
    have the better more original image. That is because you can take a large file
    and downsize it with little loss. However you can't take a 320 x 240 image and
    make good 8x10 and you will definately not get a 1024x768 file from it without
    it being obvious.
    WMAS 1960, Nov 18, 2003