Web Setup project for Windows Forms applications?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP], Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I am preparing for the 70-316 exam and I am trying to make it clear for
    myself how Web Setup projects can be used to deploy WinForms applications
    over the network.

    MSDN and preparation guides say almost the same - create a Web Setup project
    and copy it to a network share. The users will download the installer and
    use it. So far so good. I've created a simple app and created a Web setup
    project for it. Then I copied the installer files to a network share and ran
    it from there. As I would expect, the installer prompted me for the name of
    a virtual directory to create. But this is not, I suppose, the users of an
    application deployed this way should see when they start the installer!

    What would make sense, however, is running the installer on the web server
    to install application files to a virtual directory on that server, so the
    users would be able to benefit from no-touch deployment.

    Could anyone clarify the recommended strategy?

    --
    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
    X-Unity Test Studio

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP], Feb 20, 2004

  2. Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

    Eric Guest

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP] wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am preparing for the 70-316 exam and I am trying to make it clear
    > for myself how Web Setup projects can be used to deploy WinForms
    > applications over the network.
    >
    > MSDN and preparation guides say almost the same - create a Web Setup
    > project and copy it to a network share. The users will download the
    > installer and use it. So far so good. I've created a simple app and
    > created a Web setup project for it. Then I copied the installer files
    > to a network share and ran it from there. As I would expect, the
    > installer prompted me for the name of a virtual directory to create.
    > But this is not, I suppose, the users of an application deployed this
    > way should see when they start the installer!
    >
    > What would make sense, however, is running the installer on the web
    > server to install application files to a virtual directory on that
    > server, so the users would be able to benefit from no-touch
    > deployment.
    >
    > Could anyone clarify the recommended strategy?

    Do you want users to actually execute your WinForms .exe from a web URL
    (which would be a Smart Client app), or do you just want to put an
    installation file on the network (an .msi)?

    Either way, a Web Setup project in NOT what you want. You are correct
    that a Web setup project is only used for deploying files to a web
    server, and it's not for use by end users. Web Setup projects are
    normally used only for ASP.NET (Web Forms) deployment, and for
    deployment of ASP.NET Web Services. Maybe you are asking how to deploy
    a web service?

    To install a Windows Forms app on an end-users computer, you want to
    create a windows Setup Project.

    Eric

    Eric, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Eric,

    Your comments just reinforce my own thoughts. But, to quote MSDN:

    -------------------------------
    "Deployment of a Web Setup Project"

    To deploy an application for download from a Web server, you create a Web
    Setup project and add the project output group for the application to the
    Web Setup project in the File System Editor. After building the installer,
    you copy it to the Web server computer, where it can then be downloaded via
    a Web browser.
    -------------------------------

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP], Feb 23, 2004
  4. Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

    Eric Guest

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP] wrote:

    > Eric,
    >
    > Your comments just reinforce my own thoughts. But, to quote MSDN:

    > "Deployment of a Web Setup Project"

    > To deploy an application for download from a Web server, you create a
    > Web Setup project and add the project output group for the
    > application to the Web Setup project in the File System Editor. After
    > building the installer, you copy it to the Web server computer, where
    > it can then be downloaded via a Web browser.

    I think we can consider this a typo.

    Eric, Feb 23, 2004