    "The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for web
    discovery. Click the Help button for more information."

    How do I resolve this?

    airwalker, Jun 29, 2006

  2. airwalker

    Simon Hart Guest

    Hi Airwalker,

    Are you trying to add a reference to a Web Service that is on the internet?
    Are you sitting behind a proxy server?

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jun 29, 2006

  3. airwalker

    Cerebrus Guest

    airwalker wrote:
    > Im im studying for 70-320, im trying to add a reference to a web service in
    > my application, eveytime I attempt to do so I get the following message:
    >
    > "The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for web
    > discovery. Click the Help button for more information."
    >
    > How do I resolve this?

    See this page <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/03seed2h.aspx>

    AFAIK, It applies to VS 2003 as well.

    Cerebrus, Jun 29, 2006
  4. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    Thanks for the advice guys.

    I've goon to IE > tools > connections > LAN settings

    I then checked the "use a proxy server for your lan"

    am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

    and what do I typr in for port?

    thanks.

    airwalker, Jun 29, 2006
  5. airwalker

    Cerebrus Guest

    >> am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

    I think not. You should type in the IP address instead. Try port 80.

    Cerebrus, Jun 30, 2006
  6. airwalker

    Simon Hart Guest

    You need to type in the IP address of your Proxy server. Firewalls
    generally(default configuration) allow the default port 80 for web servers
    so it is unlikely to be a firewall issue.
    Check with your sys admin for the proxy server address.

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jun 30, 2006
  7. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    >"Cerebrus" wrote:
    > >> am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

    > I think not. You should type in the IP address instead. Try port 80.

    Done that, but now I get this message:

    "There was an error downloading
    'http://live.capescience.com/wsdl/AirportWeather.wsdl'.

    The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server".

    do you think there is a problem with the web service server? what about If I
    add visual studio to the exceptions list under windows firewall?

    airwalker, Jun 30, 2006
  8. airwalker

    Simon Hart Guest

    The WSDL document does not exist. You get http 404 if you type that address
    into your web browser. Try it.

    If you want to play arond with on-line web services try this site for some
    valid ones:

    http://www.xmethods.net

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jun 30, 2006
  9. airwalker

    Cerebrus Guest

    Simon is right about this. That particular example in the book about
    AirportWeatherService is outdated. You will need to try another Web
    service.

    Cerebrus, Jun 30, 2006
  10. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    >"Cerebrus" wrote:
    > Simon is right about this. That particular example in the book about
    > AirportWeatherService is outdated. You will need to try another Web
    > service.

    Thanks again for your replies guys, the web service shows up, but I am
    unable to add a web reference to it, as the add reference button is disabled
    and I get the following message:

    "There was an error downloading 'http://www.xmethods.net/'.
    The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server".

    in proxy settings I typed in my IP address and typed 80 for the port, am I
    still doing something wrong?

    airwalker, Jun 30, 2006
  11. airwalker

    Simon Hart Guest

    There is no WSDL document at http://www.xmethods.net. You need to key that
    address into your web browser and find a service you want to use. When you
    find one, it will tell you where it is located (the WSDL document).
    xmethods.net is just a database of a handful of web services that you can
    try.

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jul 1, 2006
  12. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    Thanks simon,

    I got the wsdl of one of the web services and typed the address in. The web
    service appears in the window and I can see its methods, but the add
    reference button is still disabled and I get the same message:

    "There was an error downloading 'http://ws.strikeiron.com/DnBQuickCheck?WSDL'.
    The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server."

    Im using a stand alone computer, with windows xp, I have a firewall, but it
    dosnt use a proxy server, however when I try to check my IP address online,
    various sites are saying that they detect a proxy server. I also tried adding
    visual studio 2003 to the exception list under the windows firewall, but that
    hasnt changed anything.

    airwalker, Jul 1, 2006
  13. airwalker

    Simon Hart Guest

    Can you send a screenshot of the "Add Web Reference" dialog box after you
    have resolved the WSDL document?

    Also, have you tried using the WSDL.exe command-line tool to generate a
    proxy?

    I have just tried that web service you specified, and got the WSDL displayed
    ok and was able to generate a proxy class in C# just fine.

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jul 1, 2006
  14. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    Thanks again for replying Simon. I have emailed you a screen shot. I havnt
    tried the WSDL.exe command line tool yet, as im still very new to web
    services, but im going to give it a try. I've created simple web references
    on my local host and I can reference them fine from a web form.

    Im not sure if I enetered the correct proxy IP address under lan settings,
    but my firewall is configured not to use a proxy, so I dont know if that is
    the problem.

    airwalker, Jul 1, 2006
  15. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    LOL, this is strange now. Under lan settings i've entered my ip address as
    opposed to a proxy server ip adress, that resulted in web services being
    discovered very quickly, however the add reference button is still disabled
    and I now get this message:

    There was an error downloading 'http://www.fold1.com/SOAP/foldcalc.php?wsdl'.
    The request failed with HTTP status 404: Object Not Found.

    what I dont understand is that I can see all the methods for the web service
    but I cant press the add reference button.

    airwalker, Jul 1, 2006
  16. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    Thanks again simon. I can navigate and browse the internet with no problems
    using both IE and aol (my internet provider).

    I dont know if im behind a proxy server, do you know how I can determin
    that? should I disable the proxy server setting under lan setttings?

    airwalker, Jul 2, 2006
  17. Anybody have MCAD Exam material then plz forward it to me

    Dear All

    I hav cleared MCP Exam.

    Now i am planning to go for MCAD,MCSD and MCDBA Exam

    but i dont hav any kind of Material

    Anybody in the group hav any microsoft Material or Testking material
    then plz

    forward me at

    Thanks in Advance

    Regards
    Kalpesh

    Kalpesh S/w Engg, Jul 2, 2006
  18. airwalker

    Cerebrus Guest

    Re: Anybody have MCAD Exam material then plz forward it to me

    Kalpesh S/w Engg,

    Which MCP exam have you cleared ? What material did you use for that
    exam ? Did you use TestK!ng material ? If you did, then please post
    your email address (only the email address that you registered for the
    exam with), so that people here can send you the requested material.

    Cerebrus, Jul 2, 2006
  19. airwalker

    airwalker Guest

    I got it solved eventually, thanks for all your help simon.

    airwalker, Jul 5, 2006
  20. airwalker

    Simon Hart Guest

    You're welcome. What was it in the end, did you find out whether you are
    sitting behind a proxy?

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jul 5, 2006