    Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine

    Does anyone have any suggestions for free software

    The machine is a Winxp pro system
    Andrew, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Fran Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    > The machine is a Winxp pro system

    Apache.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Andrew wrote:
    > Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    > The machine is a Winxp pro system

    I quite like LightTPD. It is light weight, while having all the
    essential features. It is fairly new, and I'm not sure if Windows is
    supported or if binaries are available.

    http://www.lighttpd.net/

    Another alternative is Xitami.

    http://www.xitami.org

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Andrew

    XPD Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    > The machine is a Winxp pro system

    Abyss X1 - http://www.aprelium.com/

    Runing it on and off for a few months now with no issue. Its running on my
    main machine (p3 1gig) and I dont notice any slow down etc and its easy to
    setup :)
    XPD, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew
    <> exclaimed:

    >Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    >The machine is a Winxp pro system

    If you want ease of use, it's just for a basic page that not many
    people will be viewing, and you want a really easy setup, you actually
    get a limited version of IIS for free with WinXP.

    Easy instructions:
    http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windowsxp/iis/

    However, if you don't mind a little more fiddling, Apache is really
    the only other alternative:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/windows.html
    Fred Dagg, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Andrew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    > The machine is a Winxp pro system

    Doesn't Pro include IIS already? (I don't know, I'm just guessing here,
    but I think it does).
    -=rjh=-, Jan 16, 2006
  7. -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Andrew wrote:
    > > Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    > >
    > > The machine is a Winxp pro system

    > Doesn't Pro include IIS already? (I don't know, I'm just guessing here,
    > but I think it does).

    Yes it does - its installable under the Add/Remove Programs Control
    Panel
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 16, 2006
  8. T'was the Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300 when I remembered Andrew
    <> saying something like this:

    >Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    >The machine is a Winxp pro system

    I use and recommend XAMPP from Apachefriends. See
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 16, 2006
  9. Andrew

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew wrote:

    > Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >
    > The machine is a Winxp pro system

    I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.

    Go and get yourself an old P3 server and run linux on it. It won't cost
    much at all. I use an 800 MHz P3. Since there's a fair chance that you'll
    be hosting over adsl, then server performance will be the last of your
    worries.

    $0.02,

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 16, 2006
  10. Andrew

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:13:45 +1300, Steve <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>
    >> The machine is a Winxp pro system

    >I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    >port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.

    Such as?

    >Go and get yourself an old P3 server and run linux on it. It won't cost
    >much at all. I use an 800 MHz P3. Since there's a fair chance that you'll
    >be hosting over adsl, then server performance will be the last of your
    >worries.

    You're showing your naivety, Steve.
    Fred Dagg, Jan 16, 2006
  11. Andrew

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:33:51 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Andrew wrote:
    >> Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>
    >> The machine is a Winxp pro system

    >Doesn't Pro include IIS already? (I don't know, I'm just guessing here,
    >but I think it does).

    Yes. We use it as our server at work. You have to choose it from the
    'Add remove programs' - 'windows compoents'. Not available in home
    edition. By default it allows a very small number of connections but
    that is remedied by a simple registry entry. Here I use Apache. I
    think not so easy but probably more secure if you are not always 100%
    up on patching and it runs on XP home.
    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Jan 16, 2006
  12. Andrew

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:23:25 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:13:45 +1300, Steve <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>>
    >>> The machine is a Winxp pro system

    >>I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    >>port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.

    > Such as?

    Before then, nobody could directly access this machine. Now they can.

    >>Go and get yourself an old P3 server and run linux on it. It won't cost
    >>much at all. I use an 800 MHz P3. Since there's a fair chance that you'll
    >>be hosting over adsl, then server performance will be the last of your
    >>worries.
    >>

    > You're showing your naivety, Steve.

    In what way?
    Steve, Jan 16, 2006
  13. This response is full of nonsense.

    Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>
    >>The machine is a Winxp pro system

    > I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    > port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.

    This being a risk would require serious flaws in the TCP/IP stack on
    Windows and associated API. There is no significant additional risk
    associated with running a Web server on Windows XP. Linux has not been
    without serious flaws of this kind in the past.

    There may be additional risks running IIS, or a buggy server, including
    older versions of Apache.

    > Go and get yourself an old P3 server and run linux on it. It won't cost
    > much at all. I use an 800 MHz P3. Since there's a fair chance that you'll
    > be hosting over adsl, then server performance will be the last of your
    > worries.

    With 128k upstream, if you're serving largely static content as the OP
    suggests, an old P166 will easily cope with the load. A 486 would
    probably do the job acceptably well.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jan 16, 2006
  14. Andrew

    XPD Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    >>>I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    >>>port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.

    >> Such as?

    > Before then, nobody could directly access this machine. Now they can.

    Ive run web servers on and off for a few years now and NEVER had any
    issues - all have run on the standard port 80.
    If it was an issue, then the internet would be a pretty boring place with
    people changing their http ports and noone knowing what they are :p
    XPD, Jan 16, 2006
  15. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>
    >> The machine is a Winxp pro system

    > I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    > port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.
    >
    > Go and get yourself an old P3 server and run linux on it. It won't cost
    > much at all. I use an 800 MHz P3. Since there's a fair chance that you'll
    > be hosting over adsl, then server performance will be the last of your
    > worries.
    >
    > $0.02,
    >
    > Steve

    It will cost more then nothing though....

    If i was willing to spend money i would just use any given hosting
    company, However i just want this to put a simple html page up so that i
    can quickly host an odd file or picture that i dont want to email to someone
    Andrew, Jan 16, 2006
  16. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>
    >> The machine is a Winxp pro system

    > I quite like LightTPD. It is light weight, while having all the
    > essential features. It is fairly new, and I'm not sure if Windows is
    > supported or if binaries are available.
    >
    > http://www.lighttpd.net/
    >
    > Another alternative is Xitami.
    >
    > http://www.xitami.org
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Thanks!

    I first started looking for programs i knew of the one i wanted but
    couldnt remember the name.. Figured i would ask in hope someone would
    reccomend it..

    and you have Xitami :)
    Andrew, Jan 16, 2006
  17. Andrew

    Tony Guest

    > It will cost more then nothing though....
    >
    > If i was willing to spend money i would just use any given hosting
    > company, However i just want this to put a simple html page up so that i
    > can quickly host an odd file or picture that i dont want to email to
    > someone

    The built in XPPro web server will be entirely appropriate for your
    purpose then. Just add-remove programs, windows components and select
    IIS. Do make sure the machine is fully patched though.
    Tony, Jan 16, 2006
  18. Andrew

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:11:36 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message

    >>> Such as?

    >> Before then, nobody could directly access this machine. Now they can.

    > Ive run web servers on and off for a few years now and NEVER had any
    > issues - all have run on the standard port 80.
    > If it was an issue, then the internet would be a pretty boring place with
    > people changing their http ports and noone knowing what they are :p

    ....and you call me naive? I've run internet servers for a living
    constantly since 1997, and have never ( and know of nobody in their right
    mind who has ) used M$ products as hosts. And there really is a reason for
    that. SECURITY.

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 17, 2006
  19. Andrew

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:48:16 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

    > This response is full of nonsense.
    >
    > Steve wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >>

    >>>Looking for something very simple to host a webpage from my machine
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any suggestions for free software
    >>>
    >>>The machine is a Winxp pro system

    >> I wouldn't start from here. The potential security problems in opening
    >> port 80 to an XP machine don't bear thinking about.

    > This being a risk would require serious flaws in the TCP/IP stack on
    > Windows and associated API. There is no significant additional risk
    > associated with running a Web server on Windows XP. Linux has not been
    > without serious flaws of this kind in the past.
    >
    > There may be additional risks running IIS, or a buggy server, including
    > older versions of Apache.

    Without opening port 80 on your router, and pointing it at your desktop
    machine, the risk of getting hacked is, to all intents and purposes, zero.
    However, once that port is opened, the risk is, by definition, infinitely
    greater. If this is your desktop machine, then do you really want to take
    that chance? Wouldn't you rather they hacked into a separate machine which
    doesn't contain your bank details? Opening ports is a big risk: what I'm
    talking about is minimising that risk.

    Trust me, I do it for a living :)

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 17, 2006
  20. Andrew

    Steven H Guest

    Hello steve,

    > I've run internet servers for a living
    > constantly since 1997, and have never ( and know of nobody in their
    > right mind who has ) used M$ products as hosts. And there really is a
    > reason for that. SECURITY.

    hmmm... so i guess that my windows server 2003 box hosting pop, imap, http(s)
    is rooted then ?

    buggar...

    i better tell my bos who runs his own data center hosting some very important
    websites that ms products are soo damned dangerous and he had better switch
    to *nix before he gets rooted as well.

    too bad... better tell microsoft too ...

    all because somebody who has been running servers since the dark ages says so

    what do you think ?

    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, Jan 17, 2006