    If validators aren't the way to go, what is better?

    TIA

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Peter

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Are those html validators a good test of the quality of a web site?
    > I don't mean functionality, or useability - rather, a test of how
    > well it is implemented.
    >
    > These ones (there may be more) ...
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
    >
    > Just 'cos a page displays, doesn't mean it is well written.
    >
    > If validators aren't the way to go, what is better?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > Peter

    I'd tell you but I'm uber busy right now. In short, you should always write
    your pages to validate. All that a validator does is test that the code is
    valid. It's a bit like syntax checking in a compiler. Ask in alt.html to
    get a lengthier response. I like the w3 validator the best, and their css
    validator is good too.
    Nik Coughin, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin wrote:
    > I'd tell you but I'm uber busy right now. In short, you should always write
    > your pages to validate. All that a validator does is test that the code is
    > valid. It's a bit like syntax checking in a compiler. Ask in alt.html to
    > get a lengthier response. I like the w3 validator the best, and their css
    > validator is good too.

    in saying that validation is good... some sites still dont render
    correctly even when validated by both the html and the css validator.

    I did have an example of one that didn't work right in IE or Mozilla,
    but can't find it for the moment.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004