    the desktop to create a shortcut for future reference. In IE the sites icon
    is maintained on the desktop, however, in Firefox the icon shows as the
    generic Firefox icon. Is there a way to change this? Thanks.
    Cueless, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Cueless

    Splibbilla Guest

    "Cueless" <> in news:zB2Lg.3087$:

    > Hi. I have gotten into the habit of dragging the icon in the address
    > bar to the desktop to create a shortcut for future reference. In IE
    > the sites icon is maintained on the desktop,

    eventually the icon created when dragged by IE will disappear, because ie favicons are kept in "temporary internet files", which
    "ages" (or disappears when you clear the TIF/cache/whatever)

    >however, in Firefox the
    > icon shows as the generic Firefox icon. Is there a way to change this?
    > Thanks.

    not conveniently AFAIK. favorg (utilty) will create permanent storage of favicons for favorites (.URL files) *in* window's
    favorites folder. so you could drag faves to faves folder, run favorg, then redistribute faves wherever you want them.
    (favorg also checkes whether teh address in the URL file is still good.)
    a few years ago, there was another util that did similar as favorg does, but not as well. now there may be newer utils (google
    google)

    there are other odd differnces between browsers when you drag or edit tehn drag in, out, etc. and differences depending if
    doing this in win9x or winxp. no doubt mac osx or linux/bsd/unix (beos?) browsers do this kind of thing differently too :)

    very coincidentally, i was looking at info for maxthon 2beta (based on ie, ie7 i'm rather sure).
    my concern: content filtering by site.
    your concern: permanent cache for favicons
    see more features, beginning this page:
    http://maxthon.neo101.nl/featureguide/maxthonFeatures.html

    --
    http://www.google.com/search?q="extra body parts" Serena "gorgeous volunteer" Boldly go" "sane
    +person
    Splibbilla, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Cueless

    gwtc Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:

    > very coincidentally, i was looking at info for maxthon 2beta (based on ie, ie7 i'm rather sure).
    > my concern: content filtering by site.

    its not based, but *is* IE in disguise. Its basically a skin with
    some benefits.

    --
    Peeves That Your Dog Has About You . . . A Message From Your Dog:

    Getting upset when I sniff the crotches of your guests. Sorry, but I
    haven't quite mastered that handshake thing yet.

    Dog sweaters. Hello??? Haven't you noticed the fur?

    Acting disgusted when I lick myself. Look, we both know the truth.
    You're just jealous.

    Now lay off me on some of these things! We both know who's boss here!
    You don't see me picking up your poop do you???
    gwtc, Sep 5, 2006