    doS Guest

    what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    TIA

    doS, Jan 12, 2008

  2. doS

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Jan 12, 2008

  3. doS

    doS Guest

    thank you!!!

    doS, Jan 12, 2008
  4. doS

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:17:06 -0500, "doS" <>
    wrote:

    >what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    >TIA

    Notepad.
    I create the pages I want in notepad then run them through the w3
    validator.
    You can also try "note tab". www.notetab.com
    It has all kinds of information you might need somewhere.
    No color coding, but hey, it works.

    richard, Jan 12, 2008
  5. doS

    doS Guest

    thanks

    doS, Jan 12, 2008
  6. doS

    Gary Xen Guest

    doS wrote:
    > what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    > TIA

    I like kompozer, an NVU bugfiz and fork. A WYSIWYG editor.
    Gr. G.

    Gary Xen, Jan 12, 2008
  7. doS wrote:

    > what is a good alternative to frontpage? TIA

    A text editor that has syntax highlighting.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 13, 2008
  8. doS

    Gary Xen Guest

    Gary Xen wrote:
    > doS wrote:
    >> what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    >> TIA

    > I like kompozer, an NVU bugfiz and fork. A WYSIWYG editor.
    > Gr. G.

    I mean, its better than NVU en it is free. Here in PCLOS
    it is in the repository for free. It is beautiful.

    G.

    Gary Xen, Jan 13, 2008
  9. doS

    G. Morgan Guest

    doS wrote:

    >thank you!!!

    YW..

    BTW, see also http://www.kompozer.net/ Supposed to be NVU's
    unofficial bug release fix.

    --

    -G

    G. Morgan, Jan 13, 2008
  10. doS

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:17:06 -0500, doS wrote:

    > what is a good alternative to frontpage?

    vim

    Dan C, Jan 13, 2008
  11. doS

    Mitch Guest

    In article <RTbij.51$>, doS <>
    wrote:

    > what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    > TIA

    how do you mean 'good'?

    Easy to use?
    comprehensive tools?
    lots of functions?
    helps design?
    includes templates?
    gives tips or assistance?
    just avoids coding?
    Gives access to coding?
    includes many types of editors (for content, images, animations, server
    actions).
    makes the process simple?

    Mitch, Jan 13, 2008
  12. doS

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:17:06 -0500, doS wrote:

    >what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    >TIA

    Just about anything.

    Depends what you are after / need. You didn't say.

    Do you want the WYSIWYG, will you miss the silly FP macro thingys?

    Are you going to do the HTML / all scripting by hand or do you want a
    drag / drop designer / templates, database links?

    Think about the above.

    http://nvudev.com/index.php

    W3C editor http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

    Anything like notepad,

    SeaMonkey with composer built in.

    Full blown programmers editors like Ultraedit
    http://www.ultraedit.com/
    syntax highlights, powerful search replace, multifile replace,

    Web developers tools like
    http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

    Remember the W3 HTML and CSS validator.
    http://www.w3.org/

    The many other threads with lists of editors answering the same
    question.
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/search?q=html editors

    Me

    why?, Jan 13, 2008
  13. Mitch wrote:

    > In article <RTbij.51$>, doS <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> what is a good alternative to frontpage? TIA

    > how do you mean 'good'?
    >
    > Easy to use?
    > comprehensive tools?
    > lots of functions?
    > helps design?
    > includes templates?
    > gives tips or assistance?
    > just avoids coding?
    > Gives access to coding?
    > includes many types of editors (for content, images, animations, server
    > actions).
    > makes the process simple?

    Surprisingly, you didn't mention "does not make shit code like FP".

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 13, 2008
  14. doS

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Surprisingly, you didn't mention "does not make shit code like FP".

    You're right. It should be there. Not that someone who doesn't even
    know any others will understand there are differences in the resulting
    code, or why they care about good code.

    Heck, Microsoft didn't know, or didn't care, and then they tacked on
    those extensions that ignored standards and authors couldn't even tell
    when they would work or if they shold be used.

    To people wondering about these things, and all Web-authoring newcomers:
    You want a tool that lets you easily produce pages, but easy can mean
    many things. Some come with templates that help you get started, some
    with templates that just let you change a few things and get something
    out. Some have fewer tools (which makes it easy to learn how to work)
    and some with many tools (which gives you more flexibility). A lot
    depends on how much you have to learn before producing.

    You want a tool that produces standard HTML code; compliant with HTML
    means visitors will see the same thing. You really don't want to
    produce a site that isn't very compliant with HTML standards; it will
    work for you, but visitors may see very different layouts, text
    styling, even data content might not load. So working toward compliance
    means people see what you want.

    You want a tool that helps show you errors, problems, helps make fixes.
    There are plenty of places these can happen, from tags to paths to
    layout, and as your site gets more complex you will need help.
    Of course, people familiar with the whole process often disregard
    WYSIWYG tools, because they learn to read how the code produces a page.
    But until then, you want intelligent help for each step.

    No matter what kind of tool you use, you need examples of good layouts
    to know what to start building.
    Look at sites for examples of layouts and how good graphical elements
    work together.
    Look at sites that are childish or clumsy to figure out what to avoid.
    Look at simpler designs to aim toward; complex and dynamic sites are
    much harder for a first effort.

    Mitch, Jan 14, 2008
  15. doS

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jan 14, 2008
  16. doS

    Plato Guest

    Mitch wrote:

    > > Surprisingly, you didn't mention "does not make shit code like FP".

    FP may put in 50 lines of code when all you need is 10 lines to do
    exactly the same.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 14, 2008
  17. doS

    Plato Guest

    Mitch wrote:

    > To people wondering about these things, and all Web-authoring newcomers:
    > You want a tool that lets you easily produce pages, but easy can mean

    Sometimes you get a job that you have to change a clients webpage. If
    it's done in Front Page, it may, and very often, takes 5 times the
    amount of time to fix/update the page.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 14, 2008
  18. doS

    Art Guest

    Art, Jan 14, 2008
  19. Art wrote:

    > doS wrote:
    >> what is a good alternative to frontpage?
    >> TIA

    > Sea Monkey
    > http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

    The Composer in the SeaMonkey suite is NVu. I would recommend using the
    updated KompoZer already mentioned.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2008
  20. Mitch wrote:

    > In article <>, Blinky
    > the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Surprisingly, you didn't mention "does not make shit code like FP".

    > You're right. It should be there. Not that someone who doesn't even know
    > any others will understand there are differences in the resulting code, or
    > why they care about good code.

    Perhaps their learning can begin here. Now.

    > Heck, Microsoft didn't know, or didn't care, and then they tacked on those
    > extensions that ignored standards and authors couldn't even tell when they
    > would work or if they shold be used.
    >
    > To people wondering about these things, and all Web-authoring newcomers:
    > You want a tool that lets you easily produce pages, but easy can mean many
    > things. Some come with templates that help you get started, some with
    > templates that just let you change a few things and get something out.
    > Some have fewer tools (which makes it easy to learn how to work) and some
    > with many tools (which gives you more flexibility). A lot depends on how
    > much you have to learn before producing.
    >
    > You want a tool that produces standard HTML code; compliant with HTML
    > means visitors will see the same thing. You really don't want to produce a
    > site that isn't very compliant with HTML standards; it will work for you,
    > but visitors may see very different layouts, text styling, even data
    > content might not load. So working toward compliance means people see what
    > you want.
    >
    > You want a tool that helps show you errors, problems, helps make fixes.
    > There are plenty of places these can happen, from tags to paths to layout,
    > and as your site gets more complex you will need help. Of course, people
    > familiar with the whole process often disregard WYSIWYG tools, because
    > they learn to read how the code produces a page. But until then, you want
    > intelligent help for each step.
    >
    > No matter what kind of tool you use, you need examples of good layouts to
    > know what to start building.
    > Look at sites for examples of layouts and how good graphical elements work
    > together.
    > Look at sites that are childish or clumsy to figure out what to avoid.
    > Look at simpler designs to aim toward; complex and dynamic sites are much
    > harder for a first effort.

    I'd have snipped all that, since I'm only actually replying the point
    above which I posted my response, up near the top...but it's good enough
    advice that I'll keep it for anyone who might miss it in your own post.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2008