    where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    web design.
    Boy Howdy, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Boy Howdy

    Trent SC Guest

    > I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    > display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.
    >
    > The font I want to use is Typewriter Fluoxetine, which I got from a
    > freebie site.
    >
    > Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    > where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    > correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    > web design.

    If you want to use a specific, noon-standard font (as this one is), then the
    only ways of guaranteeing its appearance as you would like it are to design
    the page in Flash or convert the text to an image. AIUI uploading the font
    file to the directory won't do the business - it would need the active
    installation of the font by the user for it to be usable.
    Trent SC, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Boy Howdy

    Lisa Guest

    I'd say use it limited, take a screen shot of it, and use it as graphic
    images.

    Lisa, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Boy Howdy

    DC Guest

    Boy Howdy wrote:

    > I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    > display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    It surely won't. Don't do it -- it's bad karma.

    > The font I want to use is Typewriter Fluoxetine, which I got from a
    > freebie site.

    > Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    > where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    > correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    > web design.

    alt.html is where you should be asking this (or not). }:O)

    PS: I agree with Lisa -- use it on images only.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    -- Neil Peart
    DC, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Boy Howdy wrote:

    > I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    > display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    Ask that in alt.html. You're guaranteed to get good advice.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Boy Howdy

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:53:10 GMT, Boy Howdy wrote:

    >I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll

    That's nice.

    >display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    It won't.

    >The font I want to use is Typewriter Fluoxetine, which I got from a
    >freebie site.

    Woo hoo!!

    >Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    >where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display

    Don't.

    >correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    >web design.

    It shows, a common 1st sort of question , "I want.... on my site" ,
    rather then what everyone else viewing it will see.

    Try alt.html , dont' ask the same question read previous replies to the
    same topic first.

    Me
    why?, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Boy Howdy

    why? Guest

    On 17 Nov 2004 03:19:06 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Boy Howdy wrote:
    >
    >> I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    >> display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    >Ask that in alt.html. You're guaranteed to get good advice.

    Not for that question :)

    Me
    why?, Nov 17, 2004
  8. why? wrote:

    > On 17 Nov 2004 03:19:06 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>Boy Howdy wrote:

    >>> I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    >>> display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    >>Ask that in alt.html. You're guaranteed to get good advice.

    > Not for that question :)

    He has already received it, and is trying to figure out how Photoshop
    works, so he can make a logo /graphic/ instead. It'll probably be too
    big and slow; alt.html will deal with that when the time comes.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Boy Howdy

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Boy Howdy" <> wrote in message

    > I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll display
    > correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    TRy using WEFT
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft/

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Boy Howdy

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:11:30 +0100, Dan Evans wrote:

    >"Boy Howdy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll display
    >> correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    >TRy using WEFT
    >http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft/

    I would think try not, it does the job however. There are plenty of
    discussions and typography pages for using the fonts already supplied on
    most systems.

    The next question will be- After uploading the page the font doesn't
    appear why?

    src: url(file:///c| HeHe....

    It's also just what's needed another 45K download for the font info.

    :)

    Me
    why?, Nov 17, 2004
  11. Boy Howdy

    Dan Evans Guest

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:11:30 +0100, Dan Evans wrote:
    >

    >>"Boy Howdy" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    >>> display
    >>> correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    >>TRy using WEFT
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft/

    > I would think try not, it does the job however. There are plenty of
    > discussions and typography pages for using the fonts already supplied on
    > most systems.
    >
    > The next question will be- After uploading the page the font doesn't
    > appear why?
    >
    > src: url(file:///c| HeHe....

    > It's also just what's needed another 45K download for the font info.

    Given how many "reel live web deezinerz" think that everyone is on broadband
    now, 45k isn't going to make a difference. I remember a time when the target
    for a whole page was less than that :0)

    www.barcelonatickets.com - one of mine from a year or so ago that weighs in
    at a hefty 37k (approx) - but that generates about USD 800 a day. It's been
    fucked around with a little now, and they've decided that *they* wrote the
    site and not me - but still basically mine.

    Day

    Dan Evans, Nov 18, 2004