web hosting

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nospam, Nov 13, 2012.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using a New Zealand
    based web host like webbase compared with U.S. based like hostgator or
    bluehost. Users of the website are all in N.Z. and it's non
    commercial.

    In favour of N.Z. based is
    1. faster page loading
    2. support is located in N.Z.
    3. no downtime when international internet links fail

    Not in favour of N.Z.
    1. hostgator and bluehost are cheaper e.g. hostgator baby plan allows
    unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic - and
    the terms of service don't define "unlimited".

    Are there any other pros and cons?
    Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?
     
    nospam, Nov 13, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , nospam says...
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using a New Zealand
    > based web host like webbase compared with U.S. based like hostgator or
    > bluehost. Users of the website are all in N.Z. and it's non
    > commercial.
    >
    > In favour of N.Z. based is
    > 1. faster page loading
    > 2. support is located in N.Z.
    > 3. no downtime when international internet links fail
    >
    > Not in favour of N.Z.
    > 1. hostgator and bluehost are cheaper e.g. hostgator baby plan allows
    > unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic - and
    > the terms of service don't define "unlimited".
    >
    > Are there any other pros and cons?
    > Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?


    You'll probably find that many of the cheaper NZ hosts servers are based
    overseas anyway! :) Ask them.

    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Nov 13, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...
    >
    > In article <>,
    > , nospam says...
    > >
    > > I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using a New Zealand
    > > based web host like webbase compared with U.S. based like hostgator or
    > > bluehost. Users of the website are all in N.Z. and it's non
    > > commercial.
    > >
    > > In favour of N.Z. based is
    > > 1. faster page loading
    > > 2. support is located in N.Z.
    > > 3. no downtime when international internet links fail
    > >
    > > Not in favour of N.Z.
    > > 1. hostgator and bluehost are cheaper e.g. hostgator baby plan allows
    > > unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic - and
    > > the terms of service don't define "unlimited".
    > >
    > > Are there any other pros and cons?
    > > Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?

    >
    > You'll probably find that many of the cheaper NZ hosts servers are based
    > overseas anyway! :) Ask them.


    Free ones...
    http://www.awardspace.com/

    http://www.serversfree.com/


    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Nov 13, 2012
    #3
  4. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 11/14/2012 2:44 AM, nospam wrote:

    > Are there any other pros and cons?
    > Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?


    Yes, much much much faster particually with ssl stuff when it is under
    10ms away vs a few hundred ms

    Also it means you have a local place to go to and cause a stink etc if
    things fail.
     
    Richard, Nov 14, 2012
    #4
  5. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 11/14/2012 2:44 AM, nospam wrote:

    > Are there any other pros and cons?
    > Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?


    Should also add that for retarded protocols like FTP and rsync that
    managing the server will scream along when its a lot closer to you than
    the USA.
     
    Richard, Nov 14, 2012
    #5
  6. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , nospam says...
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using a New Zealand
    > based web host like webbase compared with U.S. based like hostgator or
    > bluehost. Users of the website are all in N.Z. and it's non
    > commercial.
    >
    > In favour of N.Z. based is
    > 1. faster page loading
    > 2. support is located in N.Z.
    > 3. no downtime when international internet links fail
    >
    > Not in favour of N.Z.
    > 1. hostgator and bluehost are cheaper e.g. hostgator baby plan allows
    > unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic - and
    > the terms of service don't define "unlimited".
    >
    > Are there any other pros and cons?
    > Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?


    Third option I forget to mention - duh... you're a smart guy, why not
    run your own server? The big question with this is, how much traffic do
    you (seriously! :) think it will generate? However, should it do so,
    easy enough to scale to a hosted service to suit. The bigger the scale,
    the more it costs :)

    Perhaps you could talk nicely to Mr Kim Schmitz? - his megaupload.com
    site should have some spare bandwidth at present. On the down side, you
    may not want an association with a convicted criminal LOL.

    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Nov 14, 2012
    #6
  7. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 14/11/12 02:44, nospam wrote:
    > I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using a New Zealand
    > based web host like webbase compared with U.S. based like hostgator or
    > bluehost. Users of the website are all in N.Z. and it's non
    > commercial.
    >
    > In favour of N.Z. based is
    > 1. faster page loading
    > 2. support is located in N.Z.
    > 3. no downtime when international internet links fail
    >
    > Not in favour of N.Z.
    > 1. hostgator and bluehost are cheaper e.g. hostgator baby plan allows
    > unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic - and
    > the terms of service don't define "unlimited".
    >
    > Are there any other pros and cons?
    > Do pages really load faster with an N.Z. based host?
    >

    Hosting in NZ is expensive, you don't get much disk space and traffic
    allowance is piddling. As someone mentioned, many cheap "NZ" hosters
    on-sell hosting on overseas servers anyway.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Nov 16, 2012
    #7
  8. nospam

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 02:44:40 +1300, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using a New Zealand
    >based web host like webbase compared with U.S. based like hostgator or


    j Just used filezilla to connect to an ihug server - time from
    clicking on connection to display of directories approx 6 seconds

    clicked on connection for hostgator server - time from click to
    display < 3 seconds

    So far as display of webpages is concerned I have noticed no real
    diifference between the two servers, but then I do not obsess about
    these things.

    How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
    the rare loss of the international cable?

    Hostgator help desk responds with answers to queries within a
    couple of minutes in my experience, and the personnel know what they
    are talking about. Over the last dozen years I have experienced about
    4 - 5 different providers. Hostgator has been the best by far.
     
    , Nov 17, 2012
    #8
  9. nospam

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:08:58 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:


    > Perhaps you could talk nicely to Mr Kim Schmitz? - his megaupload.com
    > site should have some spare bandwidth at present. On the down side, you
    > may not want an association with a convicted criminal LOL.


    Convicted!? When?
     
    , Nov 17, 2012
    #9
  10. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k880qs$e7r$-september.org>,
    , says...
    >
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:08:58 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >
    > > Perhaps you could talk nicely to Mr Kim Schmitz? - his megaupload.com
    > > site should have some spare bandwidth at present. On the down side, you
    > > may not want an association with a convicted criminal LOL.

    >
    > Convicted!? When?


    1994 and 2003, I believe.

    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Nov 18, 2012
    #10
  11. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, wrote:

    >
    >How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
    >the rare loss of the international cable?
    >


    Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
    suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason. Is
    there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local server?
     
    nospam, Nov 19, 2012
    #11
  12. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/11/12 10:50, nospam wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
    >> the rare loss of the international cable?
    >>

    >
    > Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
    > suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason. Is
    > there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local server?
    >

    Suppose Christmas was cancelled. Suppose the moon fell down and landed
    on Ekatahuna.

    The first is extremely unlikely. In the second case it is simple enough
    to transfer to another server. If you have another server up and ready
    to go, you can just switch DNS to point to the new one.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Nov 19, 2012
    #12
  13. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:45 +1300, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    >On 20/11/12 10:50, nospam wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
    >>> the rare loss of the international cable?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
    >> suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason. Is
    >> there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local server?
    >>

    >Suppose Christmas was cancelled. Suppose the moon fell down and landed
    >on Ekatahuna.


    What a stupid comment. Hostgator servers are in Texas where they have
    hurricanes, floods and fires.

    Suppose you got run over by a bus (I wish). It's not very likely but
    you have life insurance don't you.


    >
    >The first is extremely unlikely. In the second case it is simple enough
    >to transfer to another server. If you have another server up and ready
    >to go, you can just switch DNS to point to the new one.
    >
     
    nospam, Nov 19, 2012
    #13
  14. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/11/12 12:05, nospam wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:45 +1300, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 20/11/12 10:50, nospam wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned
    >>>> about the rare loss of the international cable?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
    >>> suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason.
    >>> Is there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local
    >>> server?
    >>>

    >> Suppose Christmas was cancelled. Suppose the moon fell down and
    >> landed on Ekatahuna.

    >
    > What a stupid comment. Hostgator servers are in Texas where they
    > have hurricanes, floods and fires.
    >

    Sure and a server in Florida hosts my site, and it has never been down
    except for brief periods. Actually I can't recall it being down at all,
    but in all probability it has had a few outages.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Nov 19, 2012
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Anthony

    How to properly Publish my web to Hosting company server

    Anthony, Jun 7, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    551
    TechGeekPro
    Jun 7, 2004
  2. JaR
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    470
  3. Bobby

    Web Hosting/SMTP Company Recomendations

    Bobby, Aug 14, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    561
    Roger Sterling
    Sep 13, 2003
  4. Bhoona

    US web hosting or UK web hosting comapnies?

    Bhoona, Mar 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    606
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com
    Mar 4, 2004
  5. darkknight
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    872
Loading...

Share This Page